1DX has anyone seen a full rez sample photo yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
No one yet. Canon hasn't allowed it yet, they've just shown people prints and let them handle the camera without a CF card. Likely they are still tweaking the firmware, and won't permit full resolution samples until it's ready for prime time.

Is it fair to say then that we will not see any full rez raw file from the 1DX until launch time which is March?

(unless they leak some 1DX sample to selected pros a few months before like one of them eluded to to me during my vacation see other post)...

Upvote 0
K

keith_cooper

I'm waiting for one to do a review, but am not expecting anything where images can be shown, until pretty close to release. I've got one on its way at that time for me too, just in case Canon(UK) don't have any suitable review cameras for a while (this has happened in the past with several releases)

In particular I'll be doing direct side by side comparisons with a 1Ds3 and hope to make some of the raw files available for others to draw their own conclusions.

As well as straight one to one comparisons i was also going to start having a look at the multiple exposure options to see whether either from a practical or quality point of view, they are a useful addition (for my own use)

When we get closer to a release, I'll be asking people to send me requests for comparisons, and I'll try and fit a lot together - hopefully making the comparisons a bit more useful (just don't ask for video or AF testing ;-)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
smirkypants said:
I'm really interested in seeing a comparison of sports photos taken at 50 yards on a 1DX vs a 1D4 with the 1.3 crop factor—both shots cropped to the same framing. I want this done in sunshine and I want it done in rain. This is basically the test that will make me decide if I should upgrade the trusty 1D4.

If you expect a cropped image to be better, you will be disappointed. It might be close to the same, but with a lot fewer pixels (11.65). You will need a longer lens to fill the frame and then the difference becomes apparent.

Save yourself a lot of money and get a 1D MK IV before the rush when others discover this, or plan for a longer lens to get the same framing.

Upvote 0
D

darleks

smirkypants said:
I'm really interested in seeing a comparison of sports photos taken at 50 yards on a 1DX vs a 1D4 with the 1.3 crop factor—both shots cropped to the same framing. I want this done in sunshine and I want it done in rain. This is basically the test that will make me decide if I should upgrade the trusty 1D4.

I think that it goes without saying that Rob Gilbraith will be all over that.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

Mt Spokane Photography said:
If you expect a cropped image to be better, you will be disappointed. It might be close to the same, but with a lot fewer pixels (11.65). You will need a longer lens to fill the frame and then the difference becomes apparent.

Save yourself a lot of money and get a 1D MK IV before the rush when others discover this, or plan for a longer lens to get the same framing.

I already have a 1D4... but I'm not sure your math is quite right, is it?

The 1D4 = 16.1 MP at a 1.3 crop
The 1DX = 18 MP at a 1.0 crop

A little algebra shows us that 18 MP at a 1.3 crop leaves 13.8 MP. That means that the 1DX has about 86% of the pixels in the same crop area.

If the pixels are of much higher quality, you won't lose much. Canon claims (claims...) that the acute pixel performance is 21 MP. A 1.3 crop of 21 MP = .... (drum roll) 16.2 MP.

Of course I could be entirely full of crap.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
A little algebra shows us that 18 MP at a 1.3 crop leaves 13.8 MP. That means that the 1DX has about 86% of the pixels in the same crop area.

If the pixels are of much higher quality, you won't lose much. Canon claims (claims...) that the acute pixel performance is 21 MP. A 1.3 crop of 21 MP = .... (drum roll) 16.2 MP.

Of course I could be entirely full of crap.

A little more algebra is required...
The real calculations are:
18/1.3^2 = 10,65MP
21/1.3^2 = 12,42MP

I wouldn't say that you're full of crap though. Anyone can make mistakes.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:

second hand 1Dmk4 for sales have already vapourised since the 1Dx announcement I am kicking myself for not snapping one up just before when people were selling them hoping for a high MP beast :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
wickidwombat said:

second hand 1Dmk4 for sales have already vapourised since the 1Dx announcement I am kicking myself for not snapping one up just before when people were selling them hoping for a high MP beast :(

Indeed. I did consider getting a 1DIV, but I'm just not sold on the APS-H compromise. I'm still holding out some hope for a pro-level APS-C body with 1-series AF (and I'm fine with that coming in up near 1DIV price).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Indeed. I did consider getting a 1DIV, but I'm just not sold on the APS-H compromise. I'm still holding out some hope for a pro-level APS-C body with 1-series AF (and I'm fine with that coming in up near 1DIV price).

I love the APS-H i really hope they release a high end small form factor that uses it maybe just repackage the whole 1Dmk4 into a 5D body with better weather sealing and call it a 6D or something. It will be a shame if they let the APS-H die. I think its got alot more room to improve high iso ability than on high res APS-C

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
I don't recall - did one of the interviews with Canon state that APS-H was done?

I believe it was "done for now", ie they're not planning anything until enough people complain enough about the 7D2 not being up to 1D4 standards. So it's about as likely as a Canon Medium Format or aps-c mirrorless...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.