24-70 II in April? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bvukich said:
They may get released at the same time (would be nice), but the 24-70 is too expensive, and too specialized to be a kit lens.

Actually, the local Nikon (Taiwan) did release a D700 kit which came with the Nikon 24-70:

http://www.coolpix.com.tw/shop/shop_eye_detail.php?Shop_Eye_ID=48

So I won't be surprised if an upcoming 5D3 would appear with the 24-70L II ;D

Upvote 0
ronderick said:
bvukich said:
They may get released at the same time (would be nice), but the 24-70 is too expensive, and too specialized to be a kit lens.

Actually, the local Nikon (Taiwan) did release a D700 kit which came with the Nikon 24-70:

http://www.coolpix.com.tw/shop/shop_eye_detail.php?Shop_Eye_ID=48

So I won't be surprised if an upcoming 5D3 would appear with the 24-70L II ;D

Dare I ask how much? $4k+?

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
I doubt if I'd buy a kit with a 24-70 unless it was discounted enough that I could resell it to subsidize the cost of the body. I've come to prefer primes to zooms, and f/2.8 is not as fast as I often need in dark venues. I returned my 70-200mm f/2.8 MK II for that reason.

I'm guessing $2000-$2200 for one with IS, but it might be a couple of hundred less. Price does not seem to matter, buyers line up to get the latest lenses and backlogs run several months before the pipeline gets full. Then, when all the early adopters have one, the price will drop 10%.

However, I'm certain that many will buy one and love it, I am burned out after having five of the existing 24-70mm L's that were only fair.

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
I doubt if I'd buy a kit with a 24-70 unless it was discounted enough that I could resell it to subsidize the cost of the body. I've come to prefer primes to zooms, and f/2.8 is not as fast as I often need in dark venues. I returned my 70-200mm f/2.8 MK II for that reason.

I'm guessing $2000-$2200 for one with IS, but it might be a couple of hundred less. Price does not seem to matter, buyers line up to get the latest lenses and backlogs run several months before the pipeline gets full. Then, when all the early adopters have one, the price will drop 10%.

However, I'm certain that many will buy one and love it, I am burned out after having five of the existing 24-70mm L's that were only fair.

I've come around to a similar ideology. I plan on getting the 5D3 kit, hopefully with a newly updated 24-105 f/4L IS, as soon as it's released. That'll cover my general/walk-around/vacation zoom quite nicely. If I need fast, that's what primes are for.

Hmmm, price guessing... I'd put the 24-70 f/2.8L II at $1699 list, and the 24-70 f/2.8L IS at $2349 list.

Upvote 0
Re: I want a 24-105 F2.8 IS!!

clicstudio said:
So, my dream lens: 24-105 F2.8L IS priced at around $1500 should be fair...

24-70 is the most uninteresting zoom range I can think of. As a big fan of the 24-105 4.0, I agree a 24-105 2.8 would be a "dream" lens.

However, a $1500 price tag for such a lens would be much more than "fair." That would be an unimaginable steal. I'd expect such a lens to *EASILY* top $1800, maybe $2000, at least on initial introduction. Nearly doubling the zoom range and adding IS will jack up the price much more that a mere $200 or so.

The price would possibly drift downward a bit later after the initial "gotta have it now no matter how much I get boned on the price" crowd is worked through the pipeline. I would drool over it but would not be terribly likely to buy one. My current 24-105 4.0 performs very well for me and the bump to 2.8 would not be a huge advantage for the work I do.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
prestonpalmer said:
Seriously, what is the delay on this lens? I sold my 24-70 like last year when the rumors where flying thinking I wouldn't be without one for long! Boy was I wrong!

Was that last year when it was a sure thing, or the year before that when it was a sure thing, or the year before that when it was a sure thing? Now when it's not released this year either, we can blame the earthquake and tsunami, but the reality is this lens seems to be perpetually 'about to be released' and never actually is.

Upvote 0
Z

zalmagor

mogud said:
Given the current situation in Japan and the Canon plants, I would be very surprised if any of the rumored Canon lenses will be announced for quite awhile. I certainly wouldn't be selling anything until announcements were official from Canon.

Had I sold my EF 15mm f/2.8 when the EF 8-15mm f/4 was announced as released ("The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens is expected to be available in January of 2011"), I would be six months without a lens, and still not knowing when I'll get it.

All the more so for unannounced lenses.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.