3 Legged Thing Releases a Low Cost & Lightweight Universal L Bracket

privatebydesign said:
Interesting wingeathon on Petapixel from the designer.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/21/photo-gear-costs-costs/

Hmmm. Not sure this is a "wingeathon". I think it is pretty accurate.

<rant>
I work in an industry where this is becoming more and more a reality. Last week I interviewed an international candidate on behalf of my employer. The candidate indicated they wanted to work for my employer because he had "copied" our designs for a few years. They then went into great detail of how they did this. It costs my employer millions of dollars a year to protect our intellectual property against these types of operations. I have spent hours in courts "defending" my original designs seeking injunctions.

Yet, as photographers, we complain when someone "misuses" our images. This is no different to the above. Our photos are our intellectual property. We own them, and we should take the precautions to protect them.

We need to protect our intellectual property, no matter what form it takes. And sometimes we need to explain to others why things (eg. costs) are what they are.
</rant>

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
AUGS said:
privatebydesign said:
Interesting wingeathon on Petapixel from the designer.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/21/photo-gear-costs-costs/

Hmmm. Not sure this is a "wingeathon". I think it is pretty accurate.

<rant>
I work in an industry where this is becoming more and more a reality. Last week I interviewed an international candidate on behalf of my employer. The candidate indicated they wanted to work for my employer because he had "copied" our designs for a few years. They then went into great detail of how they did this. It costs my employer millions of dollars a year to protect our intellectual property against these types of operations. I have spent hours in courts "defending" my original designs seeking injunctions.

Yet, as photographers, we complain when someone "misuses" our images. This is no different to the above. Our photos are our intellectual property. We own them, and we should take the precautions to protect them.

We need to protect our intellectual property, no matter what form it takes. And sometimes we need to explain to others why things (eg. costs) are what they are.
</rant>

Anybody that is trying to claim a simple universal L-Plate costs $100,000 to bring to market is having a whinge. For goodness sake I have a friend who can CAD/CAM as many prototypes as you like in a variety of materials in a weekend as a hobby, he is currently making a 16' RMS Britannic, sister ship to the Titanic, in such detail it is to the plating rivet accurate.

I understand the premise, it is hard to manufacture stuff in 1st world countries when copies are so easy to make and ship from cheaper labour based and unregulated second world countries, but be accurate and truthful. Besides, if he was talking about this thread early on I am a supporter of quality custom products and their price.

Upvote 0