5D Mark IV or not

I see Canon has the 5D Mark IV on sale for $1,999.00. I have a 7d Mark II and a 6D Mark II, I like both cameras but.
The setups on the back of them are a little different and I get confused on the buttons in the heat of shooting.
I prefer the back panel of the 7d Mark II and the body size slightly larger vs 6D Mark II. I believe the 7D Mark II and the 5D Mark IV a has similar body size and back panel controls, if that's the case I would think switching in between the two would be easier.
I shoot all kind of things, I use the 7D Mark II for wildlife and aviation, it's works well in good light. The 6D Mark II is my all around kit, landscape, portals, aviation statics and events.
I this point I am not ready for the jump to mirrorless. Looking suggestions and feedback.

Mar 25, 2011
The MK IV is a great camera. I have a MK IV and a EOS R. My R gets 90% of the use, so I'm thinking of selling the MK IV. I like the large body size, I added a grip to my R and like it. It works great with all my EF lenses, not much reason to pay more for RF lenses unless I decide I need a new one.

I'd call Canon and give them the serial number off any old Canon body, it can be film. They will discount the price further in most cases. A EOS R refurb is $1500, if they give 10 or 15% off, its a very good deal and you can have the same sensor and look as the MK IV for a lot less and the same battery. Only one SD card though. I have very large hands, but the size is good for me unless I have a huge lens on it. Its not very comfortable to hold with the big lenses unless you get the grip.

I'm going to try and sell my MK IV it just sits.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I see Canon has the 5D Mark IV on sale for $1,999.00. I have a 7d Mark II and a 6D Mark II, I like both cameras but.
The setups on the back of them are a little different and I get confused on the buttons in the heat of shooting.
I prefer the back panel of the 7d Mark II and the body size slightly larger vs 6D Mark II. I believe the 7D Mark II and the 5D Mark IV a has similar body size and back panel controls, if that's the case I would think switching in between the two would be easier.
I shoot all kind of things, I use the 7D Mark II for wildlife and aviation, it's works well in good light. The 6D Mark II is my all around kit, landscape, portals, aviation statics and events.
I this point I am not ready for the jump to mirrorless. Looking suggestions and feedback.

The 5D4 will pair VERY nicely with the 7D2. I was shooting the 6D2 paired with the 80D up until just before last Christmas. I also have the 7D2 but always used the 80D in my main kit as it paired better with my 6D2.
Right before last Christmas the 5D4 also was on sale for 1999.00 and I got one. It's a step up from the 6D2 in many ways, you won't regret purchasing it. It is very similar to the layout of the 7D2.
Right now I have the 5D4 paired with the 90D as my 2 main shooters in my main kit, very happy with both cameras and likely will be shooting these 2 cameras together for a good time in to the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Agreed. The 5D IV and the 7D II are great companions. I've pretty much shelved the 1Dx II and R over the past few months because of little or nothing to shoot for work (college sports and events). Instead, I've been entertaining myself with bird photography using the 7DII and 5D IV.

I'd almost forgotten what great cameras they are. The main advantage of the 5D IV is better low light performance and multiple f8 focus points when using a teleconverter. The 7DII has more reach, but if you are using a teleconverter with the 5D IV it pretty much evens out.

Very easy to switch back and forth as the controls and layout are virtually identical.

My recommendation if you are in the U.S. -- give it a few weeks and see if Gordon at Canon Price Watch negotiates a better street price deal from his dealers. I would not be surprised to see the street price drop to around $1,800 very soon. And, because there is a lot of misinformation about street prices, they are from authorized Canon dealers and always new, never opened, never used stock with full Canon warranty.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The MK IV is a great camera. I have a MK IV and a EOS R. My R gets 90% of the use, so I'm thinking of selling the MK IV. I like the large body size, I added a grip to my R and like it. It works great with all my EF lenses, not much reason to pay more for RF lenses unless I decide I need a new one.

I'd call Canon and give them the serial number off any old Canon body, it can be film. They will discount the price further in most cases. A EOS R refurb is $1500, if they give 10 or 15% off, its a very good deal and you can have the same sensor and look as the MK IV for a lot less and the same battery. Only one SD card though. I have very large hands, but the size is good for me unless I have a huge lens on it. Its not very comfortable to hold with the big lenses unless you get the grip.

I'm going to try and sell my MK IV it just sits.
BTW, its called the Canon Loyalty Program and only available to those who call and ask. You must give them the serial number off of a damaged or broken Canon Digital body or film SLR. I used to pickup old junk bodies at Garage sales for a buck and use those to get the discount which was 20% at the time. Now, its less, but it applies to the body plus any lens you get with it, new or refurb. Sometimes they hold back on new camera introductions, but a 5D MK IV or a R should get a discount.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have both the R and the 5 DIV.
If had to keep only one camera, I wouldn't hesitate a second.
It would be the 5 DIV, mostly for its optical viewfinder. I just dislike the R's EVF in high- contrast situations, like for instance a forest in spring...
Othewise, the R is a very fine camera, which I often use with vintage lenses.
Before buying, TEST TEST TEST both cameras!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I have both the R and the 5 DIV.
If had to keep only one camera, I wouldn't hesitate a second.
It would be the 5 DIV, mostly for its optical viewfinder. I just dislike the R's EVF in high- contrast situations, like for instance a forest in spring...
Othewise, the R is a very fine camera, which I often use with vintage lenses.
Before buying, TEST TEST TEST both cameras!
To improve the R's viewfinder, select a picture style with low contrast and set the viewfinder at exposure simulation. Not quite the same as an OVF, I agree, but an improvement.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
To improve the R's viewfinder, select a picture style with low contrast and set the viewfinder at exposure simulation. Not quite the same as an OVF, I agree, but an improvement.

Note that DPP4 will apply the picture style you've selected to RAW files, so if you're using DPP4, keep that in mind. Creating a recipe or mass-editing the files with CTRL-T would make quick work of that.

Upvote 0
Guys----Thanks for all the great feedback. I am definitely not ready to switch over to the R series at this point, that the reason I researching the the 5d Mark IV. The $1,999.00 price is very attractive price with full USA warranty, therefore I would not look at a refurbish body to save $200.

Refurb Canon products from the Canon store carry the same one year warranty as new items...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Guys----Thanks for all the great feedback. I am definitely not ready to switch over to the R series at this point, that the reason I researching the the 5d Mark IV. The $1,999.00 price is very attractive price with full USA warranty, therefore I would not look at a refurbish body to save $200.
While I am a big fan of refurbished and yes, it comes with the same warranty as new, I tend to agree that for $200 I'd take new. In fact, that's right around where my cutoff point usually is when choosing refurb vs. new. But, I'd strongly suggest that you reach out to Gordon at Canon Price Watch before buying to get his thoughts. He's very responsive and will personally email you back within a day. I'm just guessing, but I can imagine he is working on an even better street price as we speak. Always new, always full Canon USA warranty.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
To my surprise, I have begun entertaining the thought of buying a 5D IV. I don’t have money burning a hole in my pocket, and I’m completely satisfied in every way I can think of with my 6D2. But the price has dropped so much that at least the concept of buying the 5 is on my radar. Some of it must be boredom from all the things that are called off and my complete lack of travel plans. And, yes, I know that the 5D IV is a much better camera than the 6D2, but I sincerely doubt that I would notice any practical difference in my actual picture taking.

Upvote 0