5D Mark IV or not

To my surprise, I have begun entertaining the thought of buying a 5D IV. I don’t have money burning a hole in my pocket, and I’m completely satisfied in every way I can think of with my 6D2. But the price has dropped so much that at least the concept of buying the 5 is on my radar. Some of it must be boredom from all the things that are called off and my complete lack of travel plans. And, yes, I know that the 5D IV is a much better camera than the 6D2, but I sincerely doubt that I would notice any practical difference in my actual picture taking.
I replaced my 6D2 last December with a 5D4 and have noticed some better results and much better files to work with. I was rather surprised how much I preferred the 5D4 over the 6D2 as I really enjoyed shooting the 6D2.
I do really miss the flip screen!
I got the 5D4 right before last Christmas from B&H for 1999.00 and have no regrets. Its a workhorse big-time and I love using it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Do you ever raise exposure or shadows in post? If you do you will notice a dramatic difference in the files even at low iso.

Do you ever feel the AF such as it is in the 6D II ever lets you down? If so the 5D IV will do so noticeably less often.

Do you ever wish you could crop a bit more? If so the 5D MkIV will enable that.

If you shoot jpeg and don't care for AF and don't crop that much then stick with the 6D, for everything else the sum of the specs doesn't give the true picture of how good the 5D MkIV is, for anybody sticking with DSLR"s it is a superb bargain and fantastic tool.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I do really miss the flip screen!

Ooops. I had forgotten about that. You may have just saved me $2000. (Or cost me $4000 or so if the 5D V comes out with a flippy tilty screen.) I've been playing around with macro shooting more since I got new extension tubes. I use the screen a lot for focusing and don't want to climb up on something to look down into the camera. Unless I'm out in bright light, I use the screen a lot. I recently needed to do a selfie video of me reading ancient Greek for church the other Sunday, so I had to flip out the screen to make sure I was in the frame. Etc. So in real life, the 6D2 would still get a lot of use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Do you ever raise exposure or shadows in post? If you do you will notice a dramatic difference in the files even at low iso.

Do you ever feel the AF such as it is in the 6D II ever lets you down? If so the 5D IV will do so noticeably less often.

Do you ever wish you could crop a bit more? If so the 5D MkIV will enable that.

If you shoot jpeg and don't care for AF and don't crop that much then stick with the 6D, for everything else the sum of the specs doesn't give the true picture of how good the 5D MkIV is, for anybody sticking with DSLR"s it is a superb bargain and fantastic tool.
Well, those are all good considerations and worth thinking about. I have no doubt that the 5D IV is a demonstrably better camera and an amazing bargain at current prices. And I really do appreciate your addressing these things.

I always shoot Raw. I don't recall ever shooting a JPEG straight out of that camera. I definitely play with the exposure in ACR. But to be honest, I really haven't run into a situation where I was raising the shadows to a point where I thought noise was a problem. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I do try to get the exposure right in the first place and then tweak from there. It is rare that I move the Exposure slider as far as +1. I'm usually pulling the Black slider to the left just before it clips, and I slide the Shadow slider to the right for sort of a fill-in flash or reflector look, not to bring out the cobwebs in dark corners. If I need a huge dynamic range, I will bracket and let ACR do some HDR. But that is most likely to happen when I'm traveling and shooting my G5X II. For example, in a dark cathedral, I want to show detail in the dark interior, but I also want the stained glass windows to look good. I take two shots, exposing as best I can for each. I doubt that even the 5D IV can handle that in one shot, but anyway, it would probably be back in North America when I'm in Europe. Similarly, I have shot backlit landscapes out west near sunset. I wanted the clouds to look good and richly colored but still have detail in the rock formations in the dark. I had the G7X II then, and the brackets worked great. Maybe a camera could have handled that much variation in post from one shot, and I would certainly be impressed.

I haven't noticed any AF problems with the 6D II. I do focus manually in tricky situations, such as a bird with limbs all around it, and of course with macros and tilt-shift lenses. Squares light up around whatever the camera thinks is in focus either way.

Situations where a few more megapixels would make a difference are rare. There again, I try to use the right lens and get the composition close to what I want in the camera. (I'm an old guy. I used to shoot color slides.) I print things on 13" x 19" paper if I want to frame them, so I rarely need anything over 22 Mpx once cropped. When I shoot the moon at 400mm, then I crop a lot, and comparably when I shot the solar eclipse with the T3i and 300mm. The latter printed fine on 8.5" x 11" paper, and the moon shots are just posted on the internet.

Maybe I'm just not that particular, but I think I'm reporting my experiences and shooting styles more than making excuses for not buying a great camera at a really good price. And now that I think about the tilty screen, I'd still be shooting a lot with the 6D2 anyway.

My retirement funds have pretty well recovered from their March 23 low, at least for now, and if I overspend a bit, I have plenty of credit and interest rates are very low. Plus I'm not spending money on airfare, hotels, cruises, or even a lot of restaurant meals. I'm also not out shooting pictures more than two miles from home for now. It's not a slam dunk decision either way, and I don't need to be in any rush to make it. I appreciate your taking time to help me decide.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Cadet Chapel at the Air Force Academy, HDR from G7X II:

chapel1.jpg

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It occurred to me while reading another topic here, that I'm glad I spent extra money on glass rather than what used to be the difference between the 6D2 and the 5D IV. The 100-400mm L II cost about what the 5D IV is now. The 16-35mm f/4 L was less of a splurge but still on the upper end of my camera purchases. (And it was really an impulse purchase in terms of timing. I didn't have anything wider for full frame than the 24mm on my kit lens. I planned to get the 16-35mm for my October birthday, also the first birthday of my 6D2, so a present for both of us. I had a phone call in early summer from a high school classmate on a Monday. On Thursday, he died quite unexpectedly. On the way home from his funeral, I decided to stop at Best Buy and pick up this lens, figuring that life is too uncertain to put off getting the lens.)

Both lenses are wonderful. I gather that very many people agree with me. And they should work great with any Canon body that I might ever get during the rest of my life. Now with everything covered more than adequately with zooms and a few primes between 16mm and 400mm, and a most recent generation G camera for travel, I can consider getting a better camera body that I don't really feel any need for, other than it is there and a bargain for what it is.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
This camera is also on my radar. I'm shooting macro with a Canon 80D + MP-E 65mm + an MT26 EX RT and would like to do some full frame work. The dynamic range of the 5D IV caught my attention (nearly a full stop more than the 80D). I don't crop in post, and don't use AF so dynamic range is pretty much all I care about. This is an example of what I'm doing with the 80D:

There wasn't enough wind so this Sweat Bee felt me grab onto the stem of the Sourgrass Flower that it was foraging in and climbed to the top of it to investigate. But when it did it was facing away from me. So I carefully turned the flower so that the critter was facing the camera. Gotta be gentle, cause I didn't want to spook the bee into taking off and I didn't want to damage the flower. I managed to get the shot and leave the both the critter and the Sourgrass unharmed.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order.

https://flic.kr/p/2j7FCNk]Sweat Bee in a Sourgrass Flower VI[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/dalantech/]John Kimbler[/url], on Flickr

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
This camera is also on my radar. I'm shooting macro with a Canon 80D + MP-E 65mm + an MT26 EX RT and would like to do some full frame work. The dynamic range of the 5D IV caught my attention (nearly a full stop more than the 80D)
Great pic, Dalantech.

Please keep in mind that you'll have to sacrifice some of that additional DR from FF because you'll lose DOF with it as well and so you'll have to stop down.
If you do a lot of stacking this is not so relevant but your pic looks like a "one-shot" and not stacked.

Upvote 0
Ooops. I had forgotten about that. You may have just saved me $2000. (Or cost me $4000 or so if the 5D V comes out with a flippy tilty screen.) I've been playing around with macro shooting more since I got new extension tubes. I use the screen a lot for focusing and don't want to climb up on something to look down into the camera. Unless I'm out in bright light, I use the screen a lot. I recently needed to do a selfie video of me reading ancient Greek for church the other Sunday, so I had to flip out the screen to make sure I was in the frame. Etc. So in real life, the 6D2 would still get a lot of use.
Yes---I'm little concerned that 5D Mark IV doesn't have the flip screen like the 6D Mark II, due to the fact the flip screen is very useful for taking shots of static aircraft's underbodies for a guy with bad knees. With that said, my understanding is Canon omitted the flip screen on 1DX, 5D and perhaps the 7d mark II series because of durability of the connection points of the screen. Not sure if this statement is true or not. If I pull the trigger on the 5D Mark IV I will most likely hang on to the 6D Mark II for two reasons, I will take big hit on selling it, because of Canon reducing pricing and I could use it for other projects were the flip screen would be useful.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes---I'm little concerned that 5D Mark IV doesn't have the flip screen like the 6D Mark II, due to the fact the flip screen is very useful for taking shots of static aircraft's underbodies for a guy with bad knees. With that said, my understanding is Canon omitted the flip screen on 1DX, 5D and perhaps the 7d mark II series because of durability of the connection points of the screen. Not sure if this statement is true or not. If I pull the trigger on the 5D Mark IV I will most likely hang on to the 6D Mark II for two reasons, I will take big hit on selling it, because of Canon reducing pricing and I could use it for other projects were the flip screen would be useful.
Yes, those are good points. Durability and weather sealing are low on my priorities. My photo equipment doesn't get a lot of wear and tear, and if the weather is too bad for the camera, it is definitely too bad for me to be out.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It occurred to me while reading another topic here, that I'm glad I spent extra money on glass rather than what used to be the difference between the 6D2 and the 5D IV. The 100-400mm L II cost about what the 5D IV is now. The 16-35mm f/4 L was less of a splurge but still on the upper end of my camera purchases. (And it was really an impulse purchase in terms of timing. I didn't have anything wider for full frame than the 24mm on my kit lens. I planned to get the 16-35mm for my October birthday, also the first birthday of my 6D2, so a present for both of us. I had a phone call in early summer from a high school classmate on a Monday. On Thursday, he died quite unexpectedly. On the way home from his funeral, I decided to stop at Best Buy and pick up this lens, figuring that life is too uncertain to put off getting the lens.)

Both lenses are wonderful. I gather that very many people agree with me. And they should work great with any Canon body that I might ever get during the rest of my life. Now with everything covered more than adequately with zooms and a few primes between 16mm and 400mm, and a most recent generation G camera for travel, I can consider getting a better camera body that I don't really feel any need for, other than it is there and a bargain for what it is.
Fully agree !

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015
Great pic, Dalantech.

Please keep in mind that you'll have to sacrifice some of that additional DR from FF because you'll lose DOF with it as well and so you'll have to stop down.
If you do a lot of stacking this is not so relevant but your pic looks like a "one-shot" and not stacked.

Nearly all of my photography is "one-shot" because I'm shooting subjects that are in motion...

https://flic.kr/p/2jdTV2T]Sweat Bee in a Poppy Flower[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/dalantech/]John Kimbler[/url], on Flickr

I'll Likely use FF to get more of the subject in the frame.

• Love
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The 5D IV is a great camera. Very reliable. Nice sweet point in MPs.
I recently got a 1DX III and being doing alot of small birds. 20MP doesn't really cut it for small birds.
i got used to the 50MP 5DSR and 30 MP 5DIV.
While the 1DXIII is an amazing camera in many respects the 5D IV is still my favourite. I'd highly recommend it.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
While I am a big fan of refurbished and yes, it comes with the same warranty as new, I tend to agree that for $200 I'd take new. In fact, that's right around where my cutoff point usually is when choosing refurb vs. new. But, I'd strongly suggest that you reach out to Gordon at Canon Price Watch before buying to get his thoughts. He's very responsive and will personally email you back within a day. I'm just guessing, but I can imagine he is working on an even better street price as we speak. Always new, always full Canon USA warranty.
Hi Unfocused
I am new here.. can you guide me who is Gordon at Canon Price Watch and how to reach him to get idea of latest price of EOS 5DmkIV/EOS R. I am looking for an upgrade and can get now or wait till thanksgiving as both are ok for me

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Hi Unfocused
I am new here.. can you guide me who is Gordon at Canon Price Watch and how to reach him to get idea of latest price of EOS 5DmkIV/EOS R. I am looking for an upgrade and can get now or wait till thanksgiving as both are ok for me
As @pauhana referenced, Canon Price Watch is a website that tracks current pricing on almost all things Canon. Gordon Chiu runs the website and is very responsive. You can contact him via email at his site.

Upvote 0