5d mk III, the honeymoon is over

Jul 21, 2010
JPAZ said:
I've got UPS "MyChoice" and can direct any delivery to my local UPS store. It is afe there until I can pick it up. This eliminates the box outside the front door when nobody is home.......especially boxes with words like B&H or Adorama on them!

I almost always have deliveries go to work – indoor loading dock, always someone to sign for them, and they get brought to my office. But I'm off for 3 weeks over the holidays, so they're coming here.

Upvote 0
I had a bad experience with UPS recently. It was my new Gitzo from B&H, and it was signature required, and my wife was at home. I come back to see no tripod, and checked status to see 'delivered'. I live in a very secure apartment complex (only doctors and researchers) so I was very surprised as to who else would sign for a large long package clearly not in their name? Called UPS, they said they'd fix it right away- and to their credit they did. I got a call 2 hours later saying the driver had gone back, retrieved the package (from where?) and re delivered it (in my absence, since I was out). It was a bit worrisome, especially since it was a Friday evening and I couldn't even reach B&H.
What worried me most is that the driver delivered it incorrectly in an apartment complex which has clear apartment numbering and where he/she delivers everyday!

Upvote 0
Terrific.. I didn't know that anyone else's wife referred to their gear as 'the other girlfriend.' My wife won't even walk the dog with me if I have any gear with me.
And since this came up in this thread ... I cannot speak highly enough of cpsusa. They are my safety-net... get it if you can, it's worth it.

Upvote 0
JPAZ said:
Yeah. Had my 70-200 ii delivered at work because FedEx would not redirect it to a local store. But, too many people see the stuff there. I don't worry about any dishonesty. I just don't want them to know I've spent that kind of $ on something.

The declared value of an item can limit your (the receiver) options for re-routing packages- UPS and FedEx.

Sometimes, delivery options can only be changed by the shipper.

Next time, call the shipper and have them re-route the package.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
JPAZ said:
I've got UPS "MyChoice" and can direct any delivery to my local UPS store. It is afe there until I can pick it up. This eliminates the box outside the front door when nobody is home.......especially boxes with words like B&H or Adorama on them!

I almost always have deliveries go to work – indoor loading dock, always someone to sign for them, and they get brought to my office. But I'm off for 3 weeks over the holidays, so they're coming here.

Apple products or consumer stuff delivered to work magically "disappear." iPads someone ordered for a project were "lost" that way.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Random Orbits said:
neuroanatomist said:
JPAZ said:

Apple products or consumer stuff delivered to work magically "disappear." iPads someone ordered for a project were "lost" that way.

I guess I am lucky.... I work on a secure site where the company vehicles are all left in the parking lot with the keys in the ignition.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Random Orbits said:

It would suck to work somewhere where you can't trust your coworkers. :(

I get everything from $1.30 coin cell batteries to $13,000 Canon lenses delivered reliably to my office, assuming the carrier drops them off at the loading dock. The only time a shipper claimed delivery but I didn't receive the package, it was a Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW that I'd ordered from Amazon, and they used Lasership to deliver it. For those who know Lasership, I likely don't need to explain (inaccurate online tracking, random delivery people, no uniform, unmarked vehicles pulling into your driveway, etc.). After 3 business days with an intervening weekend of back and forth with their customer service – it was delivered on time...it was delivered a day late and at 8 pm (when the building is all locked up??), someone signed for it, sorry, no proof of that), they contacted Amazon and credited me.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I guess the Amazon delivery issues will get better with the Drones?

Where I live the local Amazon shipper at least has marked vehicles but the tend to just drop the package off outside my gate (we have a small courtyard in front of the door) often at late hours like 9pm. Were it not for the dog barking when the delivery guy drops the box off, we'd not know until the following day it was even there.

Upvote 0
acoll123 said:
I vaguely remember getting an err 20 with my 5DIII when using a Lexar CF card about a year ago. Switched to Sandisk and have not had any problems since. Same thing with my 1DIV at the same time (while shooting basketball). Again, returning the Lexar card and replacing with Sandisk solved the problem.

My two cents.

Andy
A few years ago I had an issue with a camera and called Canon, they do all their testing with and suggest you use the SanDisk cards and most specifically for the 5d mkIII the Extreme 60's.

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
Terrific.. I didn't know that anyone else's wife referred to their gear as 'the other girlfriend.' My wife won't even walk the dog with me if I have any gear with me.
And since this came up in this thread ... I cannot speak highly enough of cpsusa. They are my safety-net... get it if you can, it's worth it.
Yep, it's a running joke now as to "the other girlfriend" name especially since I do not go anywhere without the camera. Fortunately most of our friends are narcissistic (performers) so it works really well!

And just waiting now for my CPS-USA badge and T-shirt to come in the mail.

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
kbmelb said:
I love UPS because they are consistently awful. I know if I get the alert my package has been delivered and I haven't had a knock at my door I know to check the house at the end of my road that is #520 since my house is #620. It blows me away how often this happens. Even with stuff that says "Signature Required." Amazing!
I spent a significant amount of my life working in transportation and I am not a big fan of the owner/operator structure (Fed-Ex) nor the extreme union structure (UPS), both have weaknesses. Fed-Ex was great in the 80's and 90's but UPS has the edge now in my opinion and I am on their black-list. All UPS packages must have a signature if delivered to my address due to a pair of shoes from Amazon that "evaporated" from the doorstep with my wife home all day waiting and listening for the truck (motivation=her new shoes). Driver came out the next day, insisted he made the delivery to our house, I told him he did not, took months but we did get the credit for the shoes and now the only deliveries that are made to our house and do not require a signature are the ones miss-delivered to our house for the house 2 doors down. That happened just last week, Amazon order of movies and the package was ripped open. I made the final delivery and requested our neighbor file a complaint with Amazon.

All of my deliveries are made to my work now, wine, camera equipment and shoes!

Chris

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
aceplato said:
acoll123 said:
I vaguely remember getting an err 20 with my 5DIII when using a Lexar CF card about a year ago. Switched to Sandisk and have not had any problems since. Same thing with my 1DIV at the same time (while shooting basketball). Again, returning the Lexar card and replacing with Sandisk solved the problem.

My two cents.

Andy
A few years ago I had an issue with a camera and called Canon, they do all their testing with and suggest you use the SanDisk cards and most specifically for the 5d mkIII the Extreme 60's.

Thanks,

Chris

Firstly, sorry to hear the problems you're having with the camera. Hopefully Canon will sort it out without too much pain the wallet.
On this side note regarding Lexar though, this is the first I've heard of it. Specifically that Canon recommends using Sandisk. I've used Sandisk exclusively for years but when I picked up my first 5d3 body, I wanted something bigger than my 32gig cards so picked up a 64 Lexar from BH at a good price. I've had no issues in over a year and a half of fairly heavy use. My 5D3 has the 32gig Sandisk that used to reside in my 7D. I hope the issue you two had is not the norm for Lexar.

Upvote 0
aceplato said:
kbmelb said:
I love UPS because they are consistently awful. I know if I get the alert my package has been delivered and I haven't had a knock at my door I know to check the house at the end of my road that is #520 since my house is #620. It blows me away how often this happens. Even with stuff that says "Signature Required." Amazing!
I spent a significant amount of my life working in transportation and I am not a big fan of the owner/operator structure (Fed-Ex) nor the extreme union structure (UPS), both have weaknesses. Fed-Ex was great in the 80's and 90's but UPS has the edge now in my opinion and I am on their black-list. All UPS packages must have a signature if delivered to my address due to a pair of shoes from Amazon that "evaporated" from the doorstep with my wife home all day waiting and listening for the truck (motivation=her new shoes). Driver came out the next day, insisted he made the delivery to our house, I told him he did not, took months but we did get the credit for the shoes and now the only deliveries that are made to our house and do not require a signature are the ones miss-delivered to our house for the house 2 doors down. That happened just last week, Amazon order of movies and the package was ripped open. I made the final delivery and requested our neighbor file a complaint with Amazon.

All of my deliveries are made to my work now, wine, camera equipment and shoes!

Chris

To solve these delivery problems, I propose that Fed-Ex and UPS merge. The new company could be called Fed-Up ;D

Upvote 0
Joe M said:
aceplato said:
acoll123 said:

My two cents.

Andy

Thanks,

Chris

Firstly, sorry to hear the problems you're having with the camera. Hopefully Canon will sort it out without too much pain the wallet.
On this side note regarding Lexar though, this is the first I've heard of it. Specifically that Canon recommends using Sandisk. I've used Sandisk exclusively for years but when I picked up my first 5d3 body, I wanted something bigger than my 32gig cards so picked up a 64 Lexar from BH at a good price. I've had no issues in over a year and a half of fairly heavy use. My 5D3 has the 32gig Sandisk that used to reside in my 7D. I hope the issue you two had is not the norm for Lexar.

Likewise. I've shot with both Lexar SD and CF cards for over four years now and I have yet to have a single issue (using them in a 7D, 6D and two 5D Mark IIIs). UPS on the other hand... They continue to deliver my packages in front of our unprotected garage even though I signed up for UPS Choice in order to specify what should be the default location of the front door. They even sign off on those packages being delivered to the front door despite being left in front of the garage! Pure laziness (it's maybe an extra 10 feet away).

Upvote 0
To all,

On Thursday I dropped my 5d Mk III off at the Irvine center, they found 3 potential issues all based around the mirror box so I should have word from them soon as to what is what. My wife was in Disneyland at the time and offers that she feels it will be "magical"! I hope as much.

Thanks again for the direction and advice,

Chris

Attachments

• Sml4641.jpg
    Sml4641.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0