5D MKIII H264 vs RAW vs RAW 3X Crop from Macro 1:1

Thank you all for the comments!
I didn't have time to run anymore crop mode tests yet, so nothing new. But I'm still using ML to shoot video raw and it's just great. I'm just struggling to find a way to keep the original raw quality once turning the stills into video with Premiere. It looks like Premiere converts everything to 8 bit and so there's much more banding than I'd like to see...

Upvote 0
Thank you for your advice, Cgdillan. I don't use Resolve, but I can give your workflow a try.
Usually, I import the DNG to Camera Raw, apply the color correction/grading, export a 14 bit PSD sequence and import everything in Premiere for the video export. But as soon as I convert the PSD into an 8 bit video file, I loose a lot of what I gained shooting RAW instead of H264... that's what bothers me. But I suppose there's no loophole...

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
luciolepri said:
Thank you for your advice, Cgdillan. I don't use Resolve, but I can give your workflow a try.
Usually, I import the DNG to Camera Raw, apply the color correction/grading, export a 14 bit PSD sequence and import everything in Premiere for the video export. But as soon as I convert the PSD into an 8 bit video file, I loose a lot of what I gained shooting RAW instead of H264... that's what bothers me. But I suppose there's no loophole...

I used to do that too but in lightroom. and the export took forever! It was definitely a bit of a learning curve to learn Resolve but I would say it's definitely worth the time because the way it handle 5D raw it beautiful. and the new resolve has some great new tools for raw processing. Also, I always export ProRes HQ from Resolve to retain the best quality for editing.

Quasimodo said:
I have never had much feelings for bugs, but you made me feel sorry for this little fella.. Great and impressive video.

Right! I actually felt really bad for the little guy..

Upvote 0