5D4 Card-Folder Selection question.

Colleagues:
I'm a photojournalist. I shoot with 2 5D4s, and always use both CF and SD cards. I always choose "record to both" cards, because I am more interested in duplicate images for backup than I am in running out of space.
My question is: Can I somehow "lock" my selection of "Card-Folder Selection" to, say, SD card 2? Somehow, the selection often mysteriously toggles between 1 and 2.
The reason this is important to me is that I have upgraded to voice-memo recording; BUT (I learned the hard way) this only records to ONE of the 2 cards (the one that is selected as Card-Folder selection). Since I usually import images to my laptop from my SD card, I often lose my voice memos which have been recorded on card 1, the CF card.
Is there any reliable workaround for this?
Thanks in advance... John

Jan 29, 2011
Don't know about the 5 series but the 1 series will playback from the last card that was in a camera when it was switched on or whichever has space for new images. So if you have it to record memos to and playback from card 1 but have the camera powered on when there is no card 1 in a slot or it is full it will replay and record memos to card 2.

The easiest work around is to follow the instructions and turn the camera off when exchanging cards and always change before the preferred card runs out of space.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don't know about the 5 series but the 1 series will playback from the last card that was in a camera when it was switched on or whichever has space for new images. So if you have it to record memos to and playback from card 1 but have the camera powered on when there is no card 1 in a slot or it is full it will replay and record memos to card 2.

The easiest work around is to follow the instructions and turn the camera off when exchanging cards and always change before the preferred card runs out of space.
The 5D MK IV will switch to the card in the camera any time you remove a card and close the card door. Turning the camera off makes no difference. So never close the card door if you have just one card in the camera, it will become the primary card. You can, of course use that feature to quickly switch back to the card you want as primary, but you can not lock it.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi John.
This would seem to be a “feature” of all the 2 card cameras, it is something I fall foul of, I remove the CF card close the card door and then find I am reviewing / deleting card 2 med jpegs (EyeFi to phone shots) and not the raws from card 1 after I have emptied it and put it back. Now whenever I want to pull the card I pull the battery first! Might as well chuck it on charge!

Cheers, Graham.

Ahh. Those are quite useful; thanks. While I invariably shoot with both cards, I close the door (so it does not get broken) when I have removed card 2 to download into laptop (it's easier; my Mac has an SD slot); and that is probably when it gets switched back to writing memos to card 1.

Upvote 0