5Dmk3 doesnt play with kenko teleconverters

Status
Not open for further replies.
wickidwombat said:
wow pretty increadible considering thats WITH a teleconverter

It is killer at shorter range, but if you are shooting outdoors you definitely fight more pronounced CA. I find it an effective combo (at least it was on MKII) for event work as it gives you a relatively small and light near 200mm f/2.8 prime, and the killer bokeh and color of the 135L are retained.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I had a pretty quick response from Kenko about these issues:

Dear Mr. Dustin Abbott,

Thank you for your inquiry to Kenko International Division.

We are so sorry for this late reply.
We are sorry to hear your negative experience with KENKO TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX series.
We have recognized some Conon Lens with EOS Mk III or EOS6D does not work properly, and they are still under investigation.
The combination with some lenses might work, but we have determined to ask customers to refrain from using KENKO TELEPLUS PRO 300 DGX series with Mk III or 6D.
We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,

Ted Numata
Kenko International Division

I would assume that they aren't going to stop selling tele-converters, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them release updated versions of the teles not too far down the road. I wonder if this is a Digic 5 issue?
when i emailed them back when i was on the bleeding edge withthe 5Dmk3 they said they had no problems when they tested on their copies

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I would assume that they aren't going to stop selling tele-converters, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them release updated versions of the teles not too far down the road. I wonder if this is a Digic 5 issue?

The Kenko does't just hand the lens protocol through unchanged but seems to modify it a bit, for example to enable f8 af even on cameras that Canon doesn't want to have it. Canon obviously has changed the lens-camera communication a bit on the 6d/5d3, either to enable new features like dual afma or simply to torpedo 3rd party manufacturers. Once Kenko has reverse engineered it I'm sure they'll release an updated tc, however I'm wondering why it takes them so long - maybe they want to sell their current batches of "soon to be old" dgx first.

Imho all 3rd party products in this price range should have some mechanism to update the firmware for new cameras, tcs, flashes, lenses, ... I'd rather pay €50 for a trip to the service than €250 for a new tc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.