5DS R review by Ming Thein

Mar 18, 2015
Here's what I got from that short article.

1 Getting the most out of a high-res sensor is hard. This is nothing new, but everyone needs to learn this eventually. Getting the most out of a large format film camera was hard too.

2 Optical viewfinders matter. That being said, if your system has an optical finder, don't screw it up with a non-interchangeable soft-focus screen.

3 There's no point changing systems for a small improvement in quality. Internet pundits are always "dumping brand X and switching to brand Y." It's mostly a waste of time, you will just miss the features of brand X that you were accustomed to, and it could take months to assimilate the different way brand Y works.

4 Proper technique matters. You need to know how to meter and focus, even if the brochure says otherwise.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Bernard, your point about the value of interchangeable screens is one I wish Canon would notice for the 5D series.
My 6D "entry level full frame" camera has interchangeable screens, I installed the superfine Eg-S, and I am much happier doing manual focusing. This makes it fun to use manual lenses, including legacies from film days. Not that you would want to use most film era lenses on high-resolution cameras, unless you go to the trouble to make a lens correction profile.

Upvote 0
fragilesi said:
It's excellent to get reviews like this. As others have said this guy clearly knows his stuff and despite his investment in Nikon isn't afraid to talk about the merits of the Canon body. This kind of review has far more influence on anything I choose than DXOMark etc.

Agreed. He's reviewed the A7r previously also (not the II yet). He gives a balanced view on all equipment. And as has been said countless times here and elsewhere, you can't go wrong with the current or previous generation of cameras. Sure there are enhancements between generations and manufacturers, but if you can't take an award-winning shot with them, chances are it's not the equipment to blame...

Upvote 0
I think I've read just about every review there is on the 5DS R before I bought it, and I've had it now for two months and this is the first review I've read since I purchased it.

I absolutely agree 100% with his take on it, he provides a very reasoned and accurate take on the camera. Its a more demanding camera than the 5D3 or my old 5D2, but despite its faults I already love it.

Upvote 0