600EX-RT + 580EX II Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2011
I have a love hate relationship with the ST-E3-RT, though I wouldn't be without it and I use it far more often than another 600 EX-RT as in hot shoe controller.

I don't mind that it doesn't have an AF assist beam, like Neuro says, Canon didn't exactly defraud us in the specs so you know that before you buy it, but I do find the screen angle an issue on many occasions and I find the in camera flash menu clunky by comparison.

I have a set of designs/ideas for hotshoe extenders that vastly increase the hotshoe functionality, I just need a way forward with it, maybe I should start a crowd sourced project!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Janbo Makimbo said:
And if the screen of the st-e3 is at an akward angle for a particular shot, then all of its functions can be controlled from the flash menu on the camera including group modes!

I wasn't aware that full control of group flash was possible with the camera menu. I know three groups (A/B/C) can be controlled with ratios, but using the ST-E3-RT (or 600EX-RT as master) menus, it's possible to control five groups (A/B/C/D/E), and to have different modes for each group (E-TTL vs. manual).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Janbo Makimbo said:
And if the screen of the st-e3 is at an akward angle for a particular shot, then all of its functions can be controlled from the flash menu on the camera including group modes!

I wasn't aware that full control of group flash was possible with the camera menu. I know three groups (A/B/C) can be controlled with ratios, but using the ST-E3-RT (or 600EX-RT as master) menus, it's possible to control five groups (A/B/C/D/E), and to have different modes for each group (E-TTL vs. manual).
That was one of the reasons I got an EOS-M, so I could play with the full RT functionality through the camera menu, just to keep up with the system until I get post 2012 DSLR bodies. I still don't like the camera menu system as much as the ST-E3-RT though.

Upvote 0
[/quote]

Check out this page an look at it camera menu pics, this works with the ST-E3 mounted, no need to tilt the camera.... Only works on Canon models from 2012 onwards!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Janbo Makimbo said:

Check out this page an look at it camera menu pics, this works with the ST-E3 mounted, no need to tilt the camera.... Only works on Canon models from 2012 onwards!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

Thanks! Having only three flashes and not yet having needed more than ratio control, I hadn't found them. With your info, I went looking in the menus - and there were the settings for 5 groups, mixed modes, etc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.