6D weatherproofness, tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Marsu42 said:
The only really sealed camera bodies are the 1d series, with everything else it's a gamble.

No, with every SLR camera body from every manufacturer it's a gamble. That includes the 1D's, the Nikon D-whatevers, the Olympus bodies, pro lenses of every model and manufacturer, all of it.

Nobody in the SLR market tests their bodies and lenses using international specs, which is why nobody publishes that their bodies and lenses confirm to XYZ spec or can handle X amount of water/weather for Y amount of time.

This irritates the heck out of me because the manufacturers want you to think their products can be used in rough weather, but they don't want to deal with the warranty or maintenance implications of this. It's dishonest.

The level of sealing and resistance can vary quite a bit between models with the same ad descriptions. The 5D2, 7D, 60D, 5D3, and 6D are all described as "sealed less than a 1D", and their seal diagrams look almost identical. You would think that whatever "less than a 1D" means, they would all be the same. But in practice reports have been very good for the 7D, good for the 60D, but bad for the 5D2 and now possibly the 6D. Can't say I've seen much of anything on the 5D3 yet. Going by user reports there are clear differences in sealing between them, but nobody can determine that from the ads.

Not only that, sealing can vary over the life of your camera. With most real water resistant equipment you have to inspect and replace seals periodically. Nobody ever talks about this with SLRs.

It's stupid really, and the photography press (or a good lawyer) needs to start pressuring manufacturers on this point.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Only a few lenses actually have that requirement - the 16-35, 17-40, and 50L (although using a front filter on all sealed lenses that take them is recommended by Chuck Westfall).

As well as the ones you've mentioned, doesn't the 100L macro require a front filter to complete the sealing? And 24-105, 24-70, 24L 1.4?

Upvote 0
dtaylor said:
But in practice reports have been very good for the 7D, good for the 60D, but bad for the 5D2 and now possibly the 6D.

Sounds strange since the 6d is built 60d-like but afaik with sealing at the lens mount and less potential critical points (few buttons, no swivel screen or pop-up flash, for the latter canon explicitly mentions that it'd result in better sealing (next to making gps/wifi possible)). Unless of course Canon has consciously worsened sealing for the 6d which might very well be possible if looking at the tech specs made to protect the 5d3 :-o

Upvote 0
I'd also say that very few, if any, lenses will be dust/sand proofed. Maybe OK for short periods, but if you're going out into the desert for several days, be sure to take care to wrap it in plastic, and if the lens has an extending barrel, try and keep it from being totally exposed. Nothing like abrasive, alkaline dust to make it in the lens barrels to pay Canon some nice $$ for fixes. *sigh*

Upvote 0
To complete the weatherproofness you also need to install a speedlight to seal the hot shoe. I would have thought someone would have an aftermarket insert to seal off that part of the camera.

bchernicoff said:
I used my 5D Mk III and 24-105 in light to medium rain for over an hour with no problems.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
East Wind Photography said:
To complete the weatherproofness you also need to install a speedlight to seal the hot shoe. I would have thought someone would have an aftermarket insert to seal off that part of the camera.

bchernicoff said:
I used my 5D Mk III and 24-105 in light to medium rain for over an hour with no problems.
;D
and then a big diffuser to seal off the flash. Or how about a little umbrella with a hot shoe attachment. This would seal off the hot shoe and shelter the camera too......

Upvote 0
The high end speed lights are already weather sealed once attached to the camera and locked. However I like the umbrella idea!!! Add a drink holder to it and i'm sold!

Sporgon said:
East Wind Photography said:

bchernicoff said:
;D
and then a big diffuser to seal off the flash. Or how about a little umbrella with a hot shoe attachment. This would seal off the hot shoe and shelter the camera too......

Upvote 0
I've used a couple of my 1DX bodies with a Sigma 300-800 in a downpour over about 4 hours with rain pouring off of the lenses and the bodies... with no problems during or after. I remember a conversation in the past where another shooter got mud on his 1DX body and just held it under the faucet to rinse it off.

I know it's an expensive alternative to a plastic bag but it enables you to keep on shooting at the worst moments when you "gotta do what you gotta do" with no hassles.

-rang.

Upvote 0
Camera still in rice bowl. Haven't moved it. I'll give it one more day.

That army video with the dust and water is not really a "real life example". He should keep the camera under the tap for an hour or two while doing the above button/knob/zooming/focussing actions.

I didn't think of the hotshoe. *shrug.

Turns out my creditcard provider gives worldwide insurance on all items purchased on it, for 90 days with a $100 deductible/excess. Yay! That's my plan B should the rice bowl not work. The T+C explicitly mentions accidental damage.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
oscaroo said:
Camera still in rice bowl. Haven't moved it. I'll give it one more day.

That army video with the dust and water is not really a "real life example". He should keep the camera under the tap for an hour or two while doing the above button/knob/zooming/focussing actions.

I didn't think of the hotshoe. *shrug.

Turns out my creditcard provider gives worldwide insurance on all items purchased on it, for 90 days with a $100 deductible/excess. Yay! That's my plan B should the rice bowl not work. The T+C explicitly mentions accidental damage.
I hope it works for you....

I have had great sucess in the past drying electronics in an environmental chamber. Think of it as a box that is heated to about 130 degrees, warm enough to dry stuff but not warm enough to hurt the electronics. I wonder if something similar could be made with a food dehydrator..... low heat and a fan?????

Upvote 0
Gday everyone!
I have news to report.

I know I said I was going to wait until tomorrow before powering up the camera, but I didn't.
You see, my 8-16mm Sigma came back from warranty fix and I was itching to try it out on the 6d.

So .... The 6d works ... Fine!
I haven't tied the Wifi, but I expect it to be okay. The buttons and dials all work fine. I turned the GPS on but I didn't wait for it to lock on.

Hurray!

NB: Putting the camera in a rice bowl results in fine rice dust. It's okay though.
Fisheye also survived.

Now to put up a post comparing the fisheye, and sigma UWA on FF vs it on Crop.

Upvote 0
Ryan708 said:
im mostly posting so this shows up in my replys. But do keep us informed!

At least you freely admit it :p but I'm also missing a "subscribe/unsubscribe" feature here.

oscaroo said:
So .... The 6d works ... Fine!

Good to hear, I hope you won't do as Homer Simpsons does ("It did worked last time, why wouldn't it work next time?")...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.