7D II alternative?

As I mentioned elsewhere, some foolish forgetfulness on holiday has killed my mk I 7D - while everything was fine when I finished using it, putting a still wet camera in my still wet camera bag, then just slinging it in the car boot overnight rather than (a) removing the battery and (b) bringing it in the tent to dry out has wrecked the electronics that communicate with the lens for AF and aperture.

A mark one isn’t even worth the excess on my insurance even if I thought I had a good case to claim, but obviously I don’t want someone else’s 10 year old camera. The problem is, though, that the 90D looks pretty shocking on the AF front for birding from what I’ve seen on YouTube, the obvious choice of a mark II seems silly when it’s five years old and discontinued practically everywhere, and while it would be nice to have the full frame sensor for non-bird stuff, neither a 6D II nor the affordable R models have the pixels if I have to crop. I’d somehow got it into my head the R6 would be a 6D killer, but not at £2.5k.

Is there really no good option other than a second hand 7D II unless I either wait and hope for this mythical crop-frame R or start saving for an R5? As a mere hobbyist that last one doesn’t seem likely to happen any time soon. Any suggestions are extremely welcome.

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
That's tough. 7D2 or 90D are indeed your best options for birding I think- nothing else has the MP count in FF. 90D is way better spend of the money I think- does it have focus issues? Worse than a 7D1? It has a higher MP count, newer sensor and APS-C. Not sure what would make a 7D2 better than it at this point. 45 phase detect focus points with almost 100% coverage seems decent to me, but I haven't done the research.

I'd look for a Canon refurbished before used (long in the tooth for a 7D2) before used; I've bought two bodies refurb direct from Canon and they were indistinguishable from new except the box. Used is not always bad if you know what to look for, and less risky with a body then lens. Many people buy expensive stuff as a toy and don't use it, or a second camera they don't need so you can find lighlty used stuff. If you go used, look for reputable ebay sales and get shutter counts, really good photos, ask questions to test communication of the seller etc. Or more safe but more costly, buy used from Adorama or B&H where you have a strong return policy and good used grades/ratings on each item.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks - that makes sense; I’ll check out Canon refurb site, then. The other hope is if any remaining new stock shows up in sales later this year; it seems Canon had some for £1000 back in March, which I’d happily pay rather than the £800 MPB want for a lightly used one.

Thankfully I’m not in a desperate rush as I can easily borrow either my son’s 750D or my wife’s 100D for a few months.

re: the 90D every review I’ve seen has shown it searching and missing AI servo focus shots on rapidly moving objects that the 7D II could handle easily. Apparently it’s much better in Live View, and obviously if you use video it’s the best choice, but for my needs I think I need to find a seven.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Iain.
I found 2 places supposedly selling the 7DII for just unde4 the £1000 mark on google shopping, I have no idea of the trustworthyness of the vendor so I decided not to link to them.
I love my 7DII and like you I have no idea what I would replace it with should I loose it.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks - that makes sense; I’ll check out Canon refurb site, then. The other hope is if any remaining new stock shows up in sales later this year; it seems Canon had some for £1000 back in March, which I’d happily pay rather than the £800 MPB want for a lightly used one.

Thankfully I’m not in a desperate rush as I can easily borrow either my son’s 750D or my wife’s 100D for a few months.

re: the 90D every review I’ve seen has shown it searching and missing AI servo focus shots on rapidly moving objects that the 7D II could handle easily. Apparently it’s much better in Live View, and obviously if you use video it’s the best choice, but for my needs I think I need to find a seven.

Upvote 0
Thanks - yes, I see those vendors as well. I’m not sure about them either, but I had no problem ordering lenses from MPB so that’s one possible source for a second hand one, and Wex have a shop in London I can go to as well. So I’ll keep an eye on it for now.

if nothing else, while it’s not exactly up to competing on AF speed, the sheer ridiculousness of my 100-400mm L with a tiny 100D hanging off the back will keep me amused for the moment.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
As I mentioned elsewhere, some foolish forgetfulness on holiday has killed my mk I 7D - while everything was fine when I finished using it, putting a still wet camera in my still wet camera bag, then just slinging it in the car boot overnight rather than (a) removing the battery and (b) bringing it in the tent to dry out has wrecked the electronics that communicate with the lens for AF and aperture.

A mark one isn’t even worth the excess on my insurance even if I thought I had a good case to claim, but obviously I don’t want someone else’s 10 year old camera. The problem is, though, that the 90D looks pretty shocking on the AF front for birding from what I’ve seen on YouTube, the obvious choice of a mark II seems silly when it’s five years old and discontinued practically everywhere, and while it would be nice to have the full frame sensor for non-bird stuff, neither a 6D II nor the affordable R models have the pixels if I have to crop. I’d somehow got it into my head the R6 would be a 6D killer, but not at £2.5k.

Is there really no good option other than a second hand 7D II unless I either wait and hope for this mythical crop-frame R or start saving for an R5? As a mere hobbyist that last one doesn’t seem likely to happen any time soon. Any suggestions are extremely welcome.
Last year, before there was any glimmer of hope for the R5, I realized that my 7DMKII had 350K clicks on it and I panicked because of no suitable alternative in sight for me. At that time I was able to find a "gray market" new 7DMKII for approx $ 1000 USD which I thought was a bargain and switched to it as my main shooter with the older camera as my b/u. At that time the used ones were selling for approximately the same price and this gray market seller had good reviews do I've never regretted the purchase. The camera came in the original box with all accessories and had no clicks on it.
I will say that my husband has the 90D and shoots with the 7DMII as well and has trouble deciding which he likes best. He likes the larger file of the 90D which gives him more cropping abilities.
Good luck,
Catherine

Upvote 0
Welcome to the dilemma of Canon crop sensor owners. I replaced my 7D mark 1 for a mark 2 about a year ago. My choice for the 7D mark 2 was the high FPS and dual card slots compared to the 90D. If you're willing to go second hand, you can pick up a 7D mark 2 for not much. I picked mine up a year ago for 500 euro. That will keep me happy until a new professional crop sensor body arrives.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Iain.
Yes those 100D‘s are small but very capable. I should try Angela’s on my 600L!
There was a photo Posted on here a while back (probably when the 100D was newish) of a 100D hiding in the hood for a big white!

edit, found the shot! It belongs to a member Kieth Breazeal.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks - yes, I see those vendors as well. I’m not sure about them either, but I had no problem ordering lenses from MPB so that’s one possible source for a second hand one, and Wex have a shop in London I can go to as well. So I’ll keep an eye on it for now.

if nothing else, while it’s not exactly up to competing on AF speed, the sheer ridiculousness of my 100-400mm L with a tiny 100D hanging off the back will keep me amused for the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m really surprised by just how capable the 100D has been for landscape stuff, yes.

Also, while digging around a bit more, I see that a few of the “90D AF is really struggling” problems in reviews have since been identified as down to the iTR, which is enabled by default, thinking it sees a face in the background - disabling it seems to raise things to a perfectly acceptable level for my lack of ability, so that’s back in play as an option. I’ll see whatever turns up at a bargain.

Upvote 0