7D Mark ii replacement

So I haven’t been keeping up with rumors of late and was confused about which camera is supposed to be the 7D series replacement with the discontinuation of that line? I don’t see the 90D filling that spot nor any of the R cameras. The rumored rs will surely be twice the cost of the 7d mkii. So has Canon abandoned hobbyist wildlife shooters or am I missing something? Doesn’t seem right to discontinue a very popular camera which at over 5 years old was due for an upgrade, and have nothing in the pipeline to take it’s place.

Last edited:

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
So I haven’t been keeping up with rumors of late ...
I don’t see the 90D filling that spot nor any of the R cameras. ...
So has Canon abandoned hobbyist wildlife shooters or am I missing something? ...
Doesn’t seem right to discontinue a very popular camera which at over 5 years old was due for an upgrade, and have nothing in the pipeline to take it’s place.
All rumors say the 7D series is dead and that there won't be a Mark 3. My personal opinion is with you here.
That said the 90D seems to be the only "real" successor, even if I can understand that you and others don't see it to fill that space.

If it comes to wildlife and action my personal experience is that EOS R and RP don't have an EVF good enough for that, but YMMV and we don't know yet what EVF performance will come with EOS R5/6.

So take a closer look at the latest EVF, as soon as released.
Take a look at the 90D as well - it's not so bad at all.
And - last but not least - take a look at the competition, esp. Nikon seems to fill that gap quite well ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Any replacement would cost the same as the original 7D MK II or about $1.8K. Both Canon and Nikon have dropped any direct replacement, apparently, it they do not sell well enough to invest in producing a new model.

I would expect a FF body to replace it, and while the body might cost a little more, long lenses to get the same effective field of view will cost a bundle.

Right now, I don't see anything affordable coming out when you consider needing a lens that is 1.6 times longer to get the same FOV.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My claim has always been that it costs Canon less to make a mirrorless body. The cost involved includes the cost to service the warranty. I feel that overall it costs Canon less, and they have priced accordingly.

However, the other side of the coin is that they are raking in big bucks every time a RF lens sells. They may be selling bodies at a lower price in order to generate even bigger profits with lens sales.

It would be nice to see a true 5D MK V equivalent or better body at a sub $2500 price. I doubt that, but its possible.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
All rumors say the 7D series is dead and that there won't be a Mark 3. My personal opinion is with you here.
That said the 90D seems to be the only "real" successor, even if I can understand that you and others don't see it to fill that space.

If it comes to wildlife and action my personal experience is that EOS R and RP don't have an EVF good enough for that, but YMMV and we don't know yet what EVF performance will come with EOS R5/6.

So take a closer look at the latest EVF, as soon as released.
Take a look at the 90D as well - it's not so bad at all.
And - last but not least - take a look at the competition, esp. Nikon seems to fill that gap quite well ;)
I am afraid that Nikon has also given up on hobbyists but has done so after Canon and their current offerings in prosumer DSLR are better. What the future holds we don’t know. Hopefully, suitable mirrorless will come soon.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
After shooting with canon gear for almost 3 decades, I also do not think that there will be a cropped DSLR-body for action photographers. And so far, mirrorless do not come close to DSLR for tracking fast moving objects. So I and 2 friends from my photo club did the following.
Because the Nikon D500 is better in both DR and AF-performance than the 7D Mk II, we sold our 7D's (a while ago already). We each bought a new D500 and a second hand for back-up. With the 80-400 that is a great combo. That gives us better performance for the next years, when Canon, Nikon and the others will bring out mirrorless camera's to pay for the evolution that will no doubt lead to a potent mirrorless action camera with a cropped sensor .... in 5, 6 or 7 years time.
Until then, I have the best cropped action camera at my disposal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
After shooting with canon gear for almost 3 decades, I also do not think that there will be a cropped DSLR-body for action photographers. And so far, mirrorless do not come close to DSLR for tracking fast moving objects. So I and 2 friends from my photo club did the following.
Because the Nikon D500 is better in both DR and AF-performance than the 7D Mk II, we sold our 7D's (a while ago already). We each bought a new D500 and a second hand for back-up. With the 80-400 that is a great combo. That gives us better performance for the next years, when Canon, Nikon and the others will bring out mirrorless camera's to pay for the evolution that will no doubt lead to a potent mirrorless action camera with a cropped sensor .... in 5, 6 or 7 years time.
Until then, I have the best cropped action camera at my disposal.
And APS-C equivalent model to the Sony A9II probably won't take 5+ years to come out (especially, if we suppose that they are already developing a stacked BSI-CMOS sensor in APS-C size), and the others may follow up once they have enough native lenses to go with it (and they are catching up at a good rate).

Upvote 0
Any replacement would cost the same as the original 7D MK II or about $1.8K. Both Canon and Nikon have dropped any direct replacement, apparently, it they do not sell well enough to invest in producing a new model.
I have a hard time believing that. I have seen many sports photographers shooting with them and I also know that all the Cedar Fair parks use 7d IIs paired with iirc 18-250 lenses for their photographers in park.

Given those are two small segments, but I doubt any statements that they didn't sell well enough to produce a new model.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Given those are two small segments,...
This and Nikon shutting down D500 line of products. It seems to be a consensus around here now that a 45Mp R5 in x1.6 crop mode is going to be a descent substitute for a 7 series Canon camera bodies. Animal eye AF, 12 FPS mechanical shutter, up to 20 electronic shutter, 17.8Mp in x1.6 crop mode.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This and Nikon shutting down D500 line of products. It seems to be a consensus around here now that a 45Mp R5 in x1.6 crop mode is going to be a descent substitute for a 7 series Canon camera bodies. Animal eye AF, 12 FPS mechanical shutter, up to 20 electronic shutter, 17.8Mp in x1.6 crop mode.

And likely for 1.6x the launch price of the 7D2.

Upvote 0
I have the 7D2, 80D, and the 90D and hardly ever use the 7D2 and 80D anymore.
Yes the 7D2 is built tougher and tracks a little better but in my opinion the 90D is very capable for most wildlife/action (with good lenses) and has an amazing sensor in it. Also, it's just plain great for general photography of all kinds. I'm very happy with the 90D.
I'm not a pro wildlife and sports shooter so I can't speak for them but for what I do the 90D has replaced my 7D2 (and 80D) for 99% of my long lens and APS-C shooting.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

I would expect a FF body to replace it, and while the body might cost a little more, long lenses to get the same effective field of view will cost a bundle.

Right now, I don't see anything affordable coming out when you consider needing a lens that is 1.6 times longer to get the same FOV.

I doubt the 7D Mark II and D500 didn't sell enough to make them profitable.

I think, though it's an opinion, that both Canon and Nikon both felt they siphoned too many sales from the more profitable 1D X (prior to 2016)/1D X Mark II and D5, respectively.

Or at the very least, the 7D Mark II and D500 reduced the sale of more expensive wide aperture longer focal length lenses needed to get the same reach with a FF camera as with an APS-C crop body. I know a LOT of sports shooters doing youth leagues/high school work who chose a 7D Mark II or D500 with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (total cost, about $4,000) over a FF 1D X/1D X II or D5 plus 300mm f/2.8 lens (total cost, about $12,000).

Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
I thought I heard rumors of a R7, basically an R6 with a crop sensor in a kit with an adapter to allow us APSC DSLR owners to easily port their existing EF-S lenses to the new body at something less than the cost of full-frame. And it had a global shutter for the film makers.
Then I woke up and realized I was having a fever dream. I should probably self-isolate.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I have a hard time believing that. I have seen many sports photographers shooting with them and I also know that all the Cedar Fair parks use 7d IIs paired with iirc 18-250 lenses for their photographers in park.

Given those are two small segments, but I doubt any statements that they didn't sell well enough to produce a new model.
The question for Canon is not how well the 7DII sold in the past. The question is how well a 7DIII would sell in the future. Apparently for Canon, the answer is not well enough.

Upvote 0