85 1.4 AF SUGGESTIONS?

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Well the canon one is out because of price. The sigma art is a possibility. I have the samyang but its manual. I was hoping Yongnuo might come out with something but not yet. There aren't many great alternatives out there. Tamton and Tokina seem to have stayed clear of making one.
What about a used one?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Well the canon one is out because of price. The sigma art is a possibility. I have the samyang but its manual. I was hoping Yongnuo might come out with something but not yet. There aren't many great alternatives out there. Tamton and Tokina seem to have stayed clear of making one.
The Tamron 85/1.8 SP is a very good lens, but not 1.4 of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
The older Sigma 85 f1.4 EX has a good reputation, but I would expect some focus issues. You might want to check it out.

I have a copy of the Tamron 85 f.1.8 which I think is really good. It is sharp, has beautiful bokeh and I love how its pictures looks. I think it has much of the same qualities as the 85LII, but sharper edges, and that says a lot. It is also weather sealed and reasonably sized.

it has IS, but for some reason I find it to blur the images taken at 1/125 - 1/180 sec, which is a much used aperture speed for me indoors, so I opted to turn of IS in such instances. AF isn’t as good as Canon 85 f1.4, but it is fairly good I think.

Unless you really need f1.4, I think you should be very happy with the Tamron. It is a significant step up from Canon 85 f1.8, especially at large apertures. I like its clarity and color.

edit: I almost sold the Tamron due to the IS issues I mentioned, but after reviewing the keepers I got from it, I couldn’t. The pictures looked too darn good. I have most of the Canon L lenses up to 200mm, both EF and RF, so I think that says a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I was disappointed by the Canon. AF not as quick, precise, or consistent as hoped. IQ good, but mine wasn't remarkable. Adequate is the best I can say. The IS seemed pretty weak.

I enjoyed the ef 85 1.2L II much more. Should have kept it, but I was chasing quicker AF. Dumb tradeoff for portraits, in my case.

The Rf 1.2, otoh...Ooo la la!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I was disappointed by the Canon. AF not as quick, precise, or consistent as hoped. IQ good, but mine wasn't remarkable. Adequate is the best I can say. The IS seemed pretty weak.

I enjoyed the ef 85 1.2L II much more. Should have kept it, but I was chasing quicker AF. Dumb tradeoff for portraits, in my case.

The Rf 1.2, otoh...Ooo la la!
Agreed 100% with everything you said.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0