What is Your Most Wanted Canon RF Lens/Camera That Isn't Available?

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Yesterday I was talking with another Canon shooter about lenses and it's a curious topic for me, personally. There aren't very many lenses I want/need for work that haven't been released. A few surprises last year were the addition of the RF 24-105 and the announcement of the 10-20mm...both were lenses I didn't know would ever exist, but I felt compelled to add them to my bag. (I still haven't received my 10-20.) As far as cameras, the obvious low-hanging fruit here would be the R1 and R5 Mark II, so let's just pretend those already exist and are available. What else would you like to see that hasn't been announced?

For funzies, there are a lot of lenses/cameras I would love to see Canon produce. I thought it would be an interesting and engaging topic to hear from other Canon Rumors users to see if there is any consensus.

Let's limit it to your personal TOP 4 so we don't get posts out of hand with like 8 favorites. For you, it could be your top 3 camera bodies or your top 1 lens. Or maybe you only want to see 4 different camera bodies - it could be any combination of the top 4 you want.

1.) More Pancakes!
- I have a personal love and obsession for all things pancake lens. The RF 28mm has really impressed me and I pack it for every work trip I take now. It's that fun little lens I can bring into a museum or walk around and take street photography with. I would love to see more of these from Canon. A new RF 40mm f/2 perhaps? That might be exactly what the doctor ordered for me since the EF 40mm was how this love story began and it would be great to see that design improved upon.

2.) A 50mm f/1.4 that's compact, weather sealed, and under $1400.
- For as much fondness that I have for my beloved RF 50mm f/1.2L, I would love to see a compact, lighter option. I basically never leave home without a 50mm in my bag and the RF 1.2 is, at times, is a little bulky and expensive so I never even considered brining it with me to shoot anything personally. It's strictly a work tool right now and I would like to see something placed in between the $160 50mm f/1.8 and the $2100 50mm f/1.2L!

3.) A minimal compromise professional APS-C camera body - an R7X - a true spiritual successor to the 7D Mark II with a stacked APS-C sensor priced to compete directly with the Fujifilm X-H2S.
- This one is tough for me. I have the R7 and nicknamed it "Jekyll and Hyde" because of the split personality the camera exhibited for me. It would surprise me with some of the shots it could get and at times shock me with how poorly it would fail. To this day, I still despise the ergonomic choices Canon made and have only grown to accept it by shooting the camera in Fv mode to make up for the weird back wheel and missing dial on the camera body. I sold my R7 and it wasn't until I was updating my portfolio with images from 2022-23 that I was shocked to discover that every time I used the R7, I captured one of my favorite images of the event with the camera. I managed to find a mint copy for under $1100 shipped and decided to just suck it up and pick another - the camera isn't perfect, but it's a really solid camera. I just would love to see a bigger body that could accept a grip and has all 3 dials restored. Oh, and a stacked sensor too, while we're at it!

4.) A retro Canon mirrorless camera
- Rumors and market trends tend to suggest it would likely be based on the immensely popular and well-selling Canon AE-1. I have to think this would sell very well for Canon and I know that I would be the first in line if they did end up producing this - it's still my favorite film camera even over the F-1, A-1 and Nikons I have. But, I also think it would be VERY cool to see it based on the Canon Canonet QL17 as a full-frame with a built-in 40mm lens. I really enjoy the Fujifilm gear I use for personal photography, but man oh MAN would I sell it all in a heartbeat if Canon released some fun, retro cameras!

----------------------------------

I look forward to reading what others have to say! Please keep it civil and don't undermine what others have to say. This is just for fun in a world that doesn't exist but maybe could.

(**THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO RIDICULE OTHER MEMBERS FOR WHAT THEY PERSONALLY WANT. IF YOU INTEND TO COME INTO THIS THREAD TO TELL PEOPLE THEY'RE WRONG OR THEY'RE UNREALISTIC, JUST RESIST THAT URGE. HOW ABOUT YOU SHARE WHAT YOU WANT RATHER THAN TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT IS STUPID?**)

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
My top 4:

1) TS-R lenses with encoding for the movements. I love my TS-E 17 and 24, but would really like the rumored TS-R 14mm. Encoding the movements would enable RAW conversion with movement-specific corrections (e.g., asymmetrical vignetting). Personally, I'd prefer not to have them motorized as has also been rumored.

2) A long 1:1 macro lens. I never owned the 180/3.5L, but that lens is very long in the tooth and the AF is very slow. A modern version with current coatings, etc., would be something I'd likely buy.

3) An updated MP-E 65mm. Honestly, I'm not sure there's a need here or what Canon would actually update besides the mount. Perhaps encoding the 'bellows' so the magnification is in the EXIF, but unlike the TS lenses it would be more a vanity thing. Maybe a 1-10x? The existing MP-E lens gets to 10x with the 2x TC.

4) A telezoom counterpart to the 28-70/2, e.g. a 70-150/2 or even a 70-200/2.

I look forward to reading what others have to say!

(**THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR MEMBERS TO CLAIM THAT WHAT THEY PERSONALLY WANT IS WANTED BY 'EVERYONE' OR THAT CANON'S FAILURE TO LAUNCH WHAT THEY PERSONALLY WANT SPELLS DOOM FOR THE COMPANY. IF YOU INTEND TO COME INTO THIS THREAD TO TELL PEOPLE THAT YOUR DESIRES REPRESENT THOSE OF THE MAJORITY JUST RESIST THAT URGE. HOW ABOUT YOU SHARE WHAT YOU WANT RATHER THAN TELL OTHER PEOPLE THAT WHAT YOU WANT IS WHAT THEY ALSO WANT OR THAT CANON IS STUPID FOR NOT GIVING IT TO YOU?**)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
1. RF 180 or 200mm macrolens. See this post for the specs.
2. RF 600mm f4 with a built in 1.4x extender (as on the EF 200-400mm f4 zoom).
I would use this for bird photography. The ability to extend the focal length with the flick of a switch far outweighs the additional weight (for me).

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2015
1. A light standard zoom for hiking and climbing trips which is a bit wider at the wide end. 20-105mm f4 or maybe 18-70mm f4

2. A relatively light f4 telephoto option that goes to 400mm. 200-400mm f4 or 400mm f4. Maybe with a built in 1.4 converter?

3. A high resolution body.
80-100MP with maybe 8-10fps, fast and precise AF and IBIS.

4. Fast astro lens like 14mm 1.4 or 16mm 1.4

• Love
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
What is Your Most Wanted Canon RF Lens/Camera That Isn't Available?
1.) More Pancakes!

2.) A 50mm f/1.4 that's compact, weather sealed, and under $1400.
Thank you for your question, LSXPhotog.
Right now I feel pretty much satisfied with what I have.
Looking at your top 4, I can say that I would second your #1 and #2 at once. Yes!
While I am not interested at all in your #3 and #4.

I would have loved to see an R8 spec list in an R50 body.
Better let it be a FF compact body, almost EOS M6 II sized with a powerful auxiliary hot shoe electronic viewfinder.

That'll be it for me. I leave #4 empty.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Upvote 0
I'd like to see an RF 70-200 f/2.8 which takes extenders in the full focal range. I am unarmoured by the current 70-200, even though I appreciate it's more compact size.

A 200mm f/2.0 would be interesting as well, although I probably would be unwilling to pay the price Canon would demand for it (I need both my kidneys, thankyouverymuch)

Upvote 0
All you guys wanting a big macro should rest assured. I just bought the EF 180mm. I have been holding off forever waiting for them to announce a replacement. It has been two years I believe since it was discontinued. I have been losing hope of a replacement and found the EF in perfect condition for $500 and couldn’t pass it up. I assume this means they will shortly announce the replacement. Congratulations.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
All you guys wanting a big macro should rest assured. I just bought the EF 180mm. I have been holding off forever waiting for them to announce a replacement. It has been two years I believe since it was discontinued. I have been losing hope of a replacement and found the EF in perfect condition for $500 and couldn’t pass it up. I assume this means they will shortly announce the replacement. Congratulations.
For $500 that was a good price IMO. Use it and enjoy the photos.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
A weather sealed RF 35mm f/1.4L USM with really nice bokeh. Possibly even f/1.2 and/or DS

A fast-focusing, internally-focusing, light-weight RF 50mm f/1.4 with a proper focusing ring, manual focus, for times where the f/1,8 aperture isn't wide enough but you can't bring a monster 50mm f/1.2L lens

A one-of-a-kind tele portrait lens, similar to what the EF 200mm f/1.8L USM was when launched. Or at least some sort of replacement for the EF 200mm f/2L IS. Or is that the hole that RF 135mm f/1.8L IS is supposed to fill?

A sub-$500 competitor to the Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art lens for crop bodies. Best lens I ever tried on my old 70D. Pretty much equivalent to how a 28-60/2.8 would behave on a full-frame sensor.

Upvote 0
3) An updated MP-E 65mm. Honestly, I'm not sure there's a need here or what Canon would actually update besides the mount. Perhaps encoding the 'bellows' so the magnification is in the EXIF, but unlike the TS lenses it would be more a vanity thing. Maybe a 1-10x? The existing MP-E lens gets to 10x with the 2x TC.
Repeating what I've said over the last few years: they could add more/rounded aperture blades. Those hexagonal specular highlights are pretty distracting! I take it infinity focus is impossible with that style of design? How about 0.5x-4x retaining TC compatibility? 10x is really pushing IQ in terms of darkness and diffraction, losing a bit at high magnification might be preferable to gain on the wide end.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Maybe it sounds a bit boring, but I would really like my EF 100mm f/2 USM as an RF version. Small and light. No macro and no STM. Of course, at least the same optical quality as the EF version. Maybe less chromatic aberration.
That was a pretty nice lens!

Upvote 0