Here we go again, the Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L rumored to be announced next month

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I agree with Thom Hogan when he says that Japanese manufaturers tend to have a paternalistic view and "we know better than our customers" attitude.
And in a sense they do know better than us, as I am sure people will point out to me. Or at the very least they have acess to more and better data for sure.

Canon has done well for themselves and that's great. Doesn't mean that we cannot argue specific choices.
But if you were Canon and was reading CR fora, what kind of workable data would you get out of that? I think there have been a similar (very low) number of people arguing for a 35 1.2 (aka "the ones in the right" :ROFLMAO: ) v the (very low again) number of people arguing for a 35 1.4 (aka "the ones in the wrong" :LOL: )
What I "know" or suppose to know is that a 1,2/35 would match better with the 1,2/50 and 1,2/85. Sounds logical, doesn't it?
Time to bribe or to menace this d.....d intern...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
What I "know" or suppose to know is that a 1,2/35 would match better with the 1,2/50 and 1,2/85. Sounds logical, doesn't it?
Time to bribe or to menace this d.....d intern...

Great point! I'll add it to the growing list of solid reasons why Canon must make a 35 1.2 :cool:
  1. I want it
  2. The holy prime 1.2 trinity
  3. Sigma has done it already
  4. I really really want it
  5. Need to differentiate from the excellent EF 35 1.4 II
  6. Nikon will have it
  7. Did I mention that I really really want it?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Great point! I'll add it to the growing list of solid reasons why Canon must make a 35 1.2 :cool:
  1. I want it
  2. The holy prime 1.2 trinity
  3. Sigma has done it already
  4. I really really want it
  5. Need to differentiate from the excellent EF 35 1.4 II
  6. Nikon will have it
  7. Did I mention that I really really want it?
Many good reasons... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Pretty much every business that looks at its own data does.
People often misinterpret "the customer is always right".
It only means make what sells.
As a customer I am always right indeed... in knowing what I want.
I do not know, nor I presume to, what everyone else wants.
Canon has a lot of data on the latter, much less on the former :cool:
I understand that what sells is not always what I want.
However, companies are often wrong about why things sell and focus on the wrong features.
Very true. Canon has a great track record, but not a perfect one, like every successful company on this planet

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
There's always the option to buy an R3 or R1, theses ones are large enough for the largest big whites. ;)
Optical excellence and luminosity come at a cost, size and weight. This is the compromise we've got to accept if we want the "best possible" lenses. The RF system has smaller lenses in very acceptable quality as alternatives to offer.
But I'd also appreciate a larger ungripped mirrorless body, I keep wondering if everybody is soooo fond of small cameras...
Excellent point wrt people being fond of small cameras. Over the past several years my hands have stayed exactly the same size. Is our species evolving to growing smaller hands? Even if yes, the time scale will be very long; evolution does not occur overnight. On a serious note, I find the R3 one of the most comfortable cameras I have ever used.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Excellent point wrt people being fond of small cameras. Over the past several years my hands have stayed exactly the same size. Is our species evolving to growing smaller hands? Even if yes, the time scale will be very long; evolution does not occur overnight. On a serious note, I find the R3 one of the most comfortable cameras I have ever used.
The R3 is indeed an example of what camera ergonomics should be! The trouble with small cameras is also that the number of controls (buttons, wheels) keeps growing. Some models are simply cramped.
Compare the R3 to a Sony A1...:LOL: No comment necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm still sure about that. I my former company, I knew that our press/com. department HAD to read and look at whatever was published/posted about our products. And a summary was reported almost daily to the CEO and to R/D.
Doesn't mean the products were changed according to criticism, but that criticism was at least addressed.
I'd wonder if this were different for Canon. They know for instance that some want 3rd. party lenses, but won't let the internet define their strategy. But, like most Japanese companies, they don't feel the urge to explain or to communicate.
In a way, it's like canon is god. We can pray for RF 35mm f/1.2 or RF 35mm f/1.4 IS, if we get want we want, Canon is reading Canonrunmors.com (believer)! If we don't get what we want, Canon doesn't read it (Atheist). If the whole time you are waiting for a tilt shift and don't care, you might be agnostic...

• Haha
Upvote 0