Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM II mentioned [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon’s “look what we can do” zoom, the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM is about as highly regarded as any standard zoom lens in history of consumer optics. We have been told that a sequel for the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM is already in the works, without a mention of when we may see it. The

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting development if Canon makes this one substantially lighter without sacrificing IQ. My biggest concern: Distortion high but corrected easily in post w/o too much loss ... if you have enough resolution. My R6 definitely has not enough resolution.
Still waiting for an option in the standard focal length with (very) high max. aperture. I would prefer sth like 40-100 f/2.0 because I see 100mm as standard focal length but 40 would be welcome as a wide angle (for me).
Would fit nicely between 16-35 (EF) and 100-400 (EF too) in my pocket. Or 14/15-35 + 100-500 for the RF fraction ;-)

Upvote 0
Would the rf70-200/2.8 move internal focus be a PZ option?
I am sure that some users would prefer an internal focus but I’m not aware of any dust/moisture ingress issues with the current one. Maybe the optical performance could be better but it seems to be a small difference to warrant duplicating the 70-200/2.8 segment

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Would the rf70-200/2.8 move internal focus be a PZ option?
The 24-105Z makes me think a 70-200Z is in the works.
I am sure that some users would prefer an internal focus but I’m not aware of any dust/moisture ingress issues with the current one. […]
The lensrentals tear down showed that it was much better designed and built than its competitors, but some people can’t be swayed by reality.
Apart from sealing, there are other reasons for preferring and internal zoom, like gimbal or underwater works. But you already known that :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That seems obvious. Unlikely they would develop two dedicated, very expensive adapters for just one lens.
The PZ-E1 only fit one lens, IIRC. But that was more than 10 times cheaper than the PZ-E2.
With Canon it is hard to tell which things are a one-off and which things aren’t.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The PZ-E1 only fit one lens, IIRC. But that was more than 10 times cheaper than the PZ-E2.
With Canon it is hard to tell which things are a one-off and which things aren’t.
I think the two are aimed at fundamentally different groups. However, if the 24-105/2.8 is not selling well, Canon may rethink their decision to release a similar 70-200/2.8.

Upvote 0
I found the auto focus to be really lazy on the current
Canon’s “look what we can do” zoom, the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM is about as highly regarded as any standard zoom lens in history of consumer optics. We have been told that a sequel for the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM is already in the works, without a mention of when we may see it. The

See full article...
I found the auto focus to be really lazy on the current one, so I would love to see a mkii.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I've not seen anyone here mention this, nor have I experienced it, but there are a few different members on Canon Community that have had irreversible "smudge" issues with this lens. Maybe there could be some kind of change in the coatings/materials on a Mark II?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0
I have the Rf 24-70mm 2.8 and I don't see the need to upgrade for a new one unless it's way lighter. The current one is great besides the weight. I'm looking forward to getting the new RF 70-200mm 2.8 II because the current has the zoom ring and focus ring in different places compared to the other RF zooms. Also, the focus breathing is bad on the 70-200mm 2.8 and the throw is too long. I'm still waiting on a RF 35mm 1.4 lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've not seen anyone here mention this, nor have I experienced it, but there are a few different members on Canon Community that have had irreversable "smudge" issues with this lens. Maybe there could be some kind of change in the coatings/materials on a Mark II?

I recall a reported issue with the front element coating of the EF 24-70/2.8 II 'peeling', though I didn't have any issues with mine. Still, another reason I'm happy there's a B+W clear filter on the front of the lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
that\'s the only lens i have an emmotional connection to, it took the first photos of my children minutes after they were born... one of the first things they saw was me with this lens.

Assertion: More reliant on digital corrections esp. at the wide end

Implications:
1. similar at the WIDE END, the F2 is trying harder than most RF lenses to correct in lens at the wide end, but it\'s so incredibly sharp at 28mm its hard to beat
2. MUCH lighter, best lens example here is probably the RF10-20, maybe some of that glass improvements on top of digital correction approach?
3. only marginal improvments AT THE WIDE END, if any: the biggest critique of the F2 is softness at 70mm, <5m focal distance, thats also where it has strongest LCA - but i haven\'t seen digital correction doing much for canon >50mm (e.g. 85 1.8)
4. narrower image circle - because the edge of the glass is getting corrected away anyway
5. worse real world IBIS, because of the narrower image circle
6. smaller filter diameter

Also: custom function button akin to the RF10-20

Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
The 20-70 was my first RF lens. I can hardly imagine a better lens optically from what I have experienced at weddings. But I said that about the EF 70-200 and then saw the RF 70-200 and was sold so I'm sure Canon will make a great lens even better. Yup it's heavy at weddings all day so weight saving would be great. When a fast 35 comes out I may not use this lens as much, although as a run and gun wedding lens at receptions this is hard to beat for versatility and quality so I will wait and see. I shoot whole reception on just the 28-70 at f2 mostly and it saves my flashes a lot and gives me great recycle time. Did whole weddings with an ef 35 and an ef 85 years ago but this 28-70 replaced the 35 as soon as I saw the image quality from a second shooter at a wedding. I got home from a wedding and looked at her files in Lightroom and drove to the camera store the next day and traded in my 35 and got this and a EOS R. It's a great time to be a photographer with all the new tech! I get some photographers do not like the form factor of the 70-200RF. But I freaking love the images from it and I love the size even more. It fits in my roller case so easily even on my camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
that\'s the only lens i have an emmotional connection to, it took the first photos of my children minutes after they were born... one of the first things they saw was me with this lens.

Assertion: More reliant on digital corrections esp. at the wide end

Implications:
1. similar at the WIDE END, the F2 is trying harder than most RF lenses to correct in lens at the wide end, but it\'s so incredibly sharp at 28mm its hard to beat
2. MUCH lighter, best lens example here is probably the RF10-20, maybe some of that glass improvements on top of digital correction approach?
3. only marginal improvments AT THE WIDE END, if any: the biggest critique of the F2 is softness at 70mm, <5m focal distance, thats also where it has strongest LCA - but i haven\'t seen digital correction doing much for canon >50mm (e.g. 85 1.8)
4. narrower image circle - because the edge of the glass is getting corrected away anyway
5. worse real world IBIS, because of the narrower image circle
6. smaller filter diameter

Also: custom function button akin to the RF10-20

That's me with the 50 1.2, I have pictures I think at 5 minutes old and an 8k video at 8 minutes.

Upvote 0