Is another f/2 zoom coming from Canon? [CR2]

I’m a bit behind the curve updating to RF but I’m slowly making the migration. Fact is I fell in love with primes over the last few years (excluding my trusty Sigma 100-400 that pairs so well with my R7). That said, I’ve been coveting the RF 50mm f/1.2 since it was released. But…a 14-28mm or some other variant of a wide f/2 zoom would rocket right to the top of my shopping list. If it’s a sharp as the 28-70 I don’t care how fat and unwieldy it is I’d pop into Adorama to scoop one as soon as they’re generally available.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Believe me
It’s nothing to do with jealousy.
As you’ve probably gathered since canon abandoned the EF-s, Ef & Ef-m and pushed the R system ( heavily ) I’ve just lost interest, As others have pointed out I have a fair amount of gear, so selling would easily cover the cost of moving up the R ladder. But, my gut instinct tells me not to bother. My head tells me it’s way overpriced both the bodies and the L glass, the RF-s line is all fur coat and no knickers tbh.
I never thought I would turn away from canon, but their pricing and the lens line up does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I’ve just become jaded. But canon totally bores me to tears these days.

I’ve made peace with myself to let go (after over 30yrs) and seek out alternative systems or just look for a new hobby.

It’s funny as a pal who got me back into photography after a 10yr break feels exactly the same and has already sold off all his kit.

Upvote 0
Believe me
It’s nothing to do with jealousy.
As you’ve probably gathered since canon abandoned the EF-s, Ef & Ef-m and pushed the R system ( heavily ) I’ve just lost interest, As others have pointed out I have a fair amount of gear, so selling would easily cover the cost of moving up the R ladder. But, my gut instinct tells me not to bother. My head tells me it’s way overpriced both the bodies and the L glass, the RF-s line is all fur coat and no knickers tbh.
I never thought I would turn away from canon, but their pricing and the lens line up does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I’ve just become jaded. But canon totally bores me to tears these days.

I’ve made peace with myself to let go (after over 30yrs) and seek out alternative systems or just look for a new hobby.

It’s funny as a pal who got me back into photography after a 10yr break feels exactly the same and has already sold off all his kit.
So what does excite you?

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
My niece broke her t6i, so I got her an R50 and the rf16mm f/2.8 and rf50mm f/1.8. It's a light set up I think everything costed around $1000 and she hasn't complained at all
My backpack always has my R5+50/1.8 in it, and the 16/2.8 in a Domke wrap. I've shot 50mm since the mid-90s and while I really really like the 24-105/4, to the point I never used my 50/1.2 for the the first couple years of the R epoch (and thus sold it), I find the 50/1.8 is actually a lot sharper in actual use than I would have guessed, and given its size and weight it's a no-brainer to use. I'm using it more around the house (e.g., food photos, stuff like that) even though I've got every other lens just sitting in a cabinet 2m away.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
way overpriced both the bodies and the L glass
Which country are you in?
In the USA Canon camera bodies and L lenses are not expensive relative to the competition.
The MSRP is about the same and street prices are lower than the MSRP.
That being said, I am keeping all of my EF lenses and do not understand why I would want to sell all of my lenses and replace them with RF lenses.
If you are going to sell all of your gear anyway then I do not see why you would not want to look at other brands.
A good reason to stay with Canon is to keep your existing gear.
I feel it is the EF-M users who have been left high and dry and Canon should make an RF lens to EF-M camera body adapter.

Upvote 0
So what does excite you?
After the week holiday in Portugal with nothing except my phone and a used lx100 ( I hear you laughing :) )
I found it a revelation, after years constantly buying bigger/better I suddenly had to make do with what I had brought with me.

So what does excite you?
Taking snaps. I’ve recently started using a small compact (lumix LX100) used it solely on a recent holiday and last weekend (we visited friends). It’s such a liberating feeling not having to constantly think which lens will I need. I’m stuck with the 24-75 and tbh not once has it limited my picture taking. I’m off URBEXing in a few weeks, will be leaving all the proper cameras behind and just taking the LX100.

I’ve gone full circle !! Started off with a film compact when I was 8, (1977) done the slr, medium format, large format, rangefinders dslr, mirrorless etc etc and now I’m back where I started using a simple compact and just taking snaps.

I suppose it’s the rites of passage many of us fall into.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I saw this on another thread.

RF 12-20 f/2
Focal Length 12.00 15.49 20.00
F-Number 2.00 2.00 2.00
Image Height 21.64 21.64 21.64
BF 14.88 14.88 14.88

Upvote 0
After the week holiday in Portugal with nothing except my phone and a used lx100 ( I hear you laughing :) )
I found it a revelation, after years constantly buying bigger/better I suddenly had to make do with what I had brought with me.

Taking snaps. I’ve recently started using a small compact (lumix LX100) used it solely on a recent holiday and last weekend (we visited friends). It’s such a liberating feeling not having to constantly think which lens will I need. I’m stuck with the 24-75 and tbh not once has it limited my picture taking. I’m off URBEXing in a few weeks, will be leaving all the proper cameras behind and just taking the LX100.

I’ve gone full circle !! Started off with a film compact when I was 8, (1977) done the slr, medium format, large format, rangefinders dslr, mirrorless etc etc and now I’m back where I started using a simple compact and just taking snaps.

I suppose it’s the rites of passage many of us fall into.
Limitation can induce creativity for sure. I used a phone almost exclusively for a couple of years (post-DSLR, pre-MILC) and it worked fine for a lot of things. Even now, I mostly only use a "real" camera for things a phone is useless for - wildlife, macro, wide aperture stuff. For landscapes, reportage, even portraits a phone is usually perfectly adequate, sometimes even better. And it can't be beaten for ease of use and portability!

Upvote 0
Canon should make an RF lens to EF-M camera body adapter.
The difference in flange distance is just 2mm (18mm for M and 20mm for R if I recall correctly), is not possible to design such adapter, otherwise some Chinese company would have already done it, there's no space to fit the electronics required.
MAYBE, just MAYBE, you could manufacture a purely mech adapter; but with no aperture ring on the lens, and especially with focus by wire, that would be pointless.
Then, R "speaks" EF(S) and RF, M speaks EF(S) and EF-M; but R doesn't speak EF-M, so even if there was space to build a working adapter, you should also tweak the R firmware to be able to "speak" EF-M, and there are good mkt reasons for Canon not to do it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That is pretty much the same distance between the Z mount and the E mount.
There are several E to Z adapters.
The RF flange is both larger than EF-M hole and deeper than 2mm.
Scherm­afbeelding 2023-08-01 om 08.37.25.png

So without any adapter you've already lost infinity focus. An adapter with optics could work, but would be $$$$$ and reduce IQ.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Only the ludicrous cost of the L’s that is.
The tragedy is the M system was solely based around the aps-c sensor, the dinky lenses too.
Canon has snatched that option away and thrust upon us the shrunken R aps-c alternative, it’s a pity they didn’t have the wisdom to use the same mount as the M system, 9 lenses had already been built!! A few more fast primes would have kept all previous M users happy whilst those buying into the R based aps-c would have a back catalogue of lenses to go at.

Instead it’s just shit, as per usual in how canon likes to treat aps-c users hoping (willing) they get frustrated and pay out the ludicrous sums of money for the FF and L glass, all merely to take random snaps of pets…..as amateurs often do so it seems.

Just like the cruise industry has tapped into the extraordinary unearnt wealth of the boomer generation, so has the camera market too. Exploited (and excluded !!) doesn’t even cover it!

By the time Z generation has aged, phones will reign supreme in all aspects of image capture and cruise ships will be reflected in the same vein as gas guzzling V8’s…..sin of sins and best forgotten!

It's not even about the money for me but the size. Give me a small M6 type camera with a nice touchscreen interface and few tiny, good quality lenses and that's all I want for most of the time. No, I don't want a massive R5 with 24-105 for a city break or casual shooting, no matter how amazing it is.

But the smallest camera Canon is offering is the R50, which is still much bigger than the M6 and the worst kit lens on the whole market.

Thank you Canon, i think i will shop somewhere else!

Upvote 0