An RF Zoom fisheye is coming [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For really dangerous snakes(large vipers) have been using EF 100-400mm II and with mirrorless I will get RF 100-400(saw one of birder carry that lens recently so gave it a try on dragonflies, found it highly impressive for its price). Otherwise its for small butterflies(for larger butterflies and Odonates EF/RF 100-400mm work beautifully) and some shy frogs for which 180/200mm Macro will work perfectly.

What version of Sigma 180mm lens were they using? I know quite a lot of butterfliers who still use their Sigma 180mm(2.8 and old 3.5) and they are very happy with their lens(with 2.8 common complaint is the weight). Unfortunately all 180mm lenses have been discontinued(though they seem to be fairly common on used market), given Tamron was quite old by the time Sigma updated their 180mm and it was choice between heavy 2.8 with stabilization but no Weather sealing vs Canon's 180mm macro without OS but with weather sealing and light on back.

Add NO focus shift as well otherwise that wishlist is what any new 180/200mm Macro lens should be.
Surely there are kevlar gloves and sleeves for macro.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What apertures and magnifications? If I remember right, the step is something like 0.033mm for maximum sharpness at 5:1. I'd think those would be challenging with manual rail.
Usually f/4-5.6 and no more than 3x. The steps are certainly not even and reproducible like with a Cognisys setup but Helicon seems to do fine with them.

Upvote 0