An RF Zoom fisheye is coming [CR2]

If I have a shot that is low light and the contrast is well beyond the dynamic range of the camera. I'll put it on a tripod, shoot 3 shots with different ND filters to keep the same iso and aperture, but vary the shutter speed. Then I can either HDR or photo blend the three images to get a single perfect exposure with no loss of detail in the highlights or low lights.
Are you using the rear gel or the drop-in filter on R mount adapter? Either way, it would seem to me to be really hard to make a physical filter change without moving the camera - even on a tripod. Very small movements in the 8-15mm range make a big difference in perspective. Can you post an example?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While we obviously don't know Canon's strategy, it has been reasonably surmised on here for a while that they aren't targeting the middle range - perhaps their response to a smaller market is to eliminate those lenses that are neither mass appeal nor high end/bragging rights/niche. So don't expect any f/1.4 lenses.
I guess that the 50/1.4 is an outlier though. The mid market range would seem to me to be handled by current EF lenses or second hand ones but there is nothing between a couple of hundred dollars and 2k. That's a massive gap in quality and price (and size!). 3rd party Sigma art etc seems to be the only real option which doesn't help Canon too much.

Upvote 0
I have used it for basketball. Sitting just behind the net you can get fun shots when someone makes a three-pointer. As the ball goes through the net you see the shooter in the background as well as the reactions of all the other players. I never got the chance but I always wanted to attach one just above the backboard and get shots of players going in for layups using a pocket wizard.
Also good for shooting a coach talking to players during a time out- hold up high and shoot between the players.
It’s good for color shots. You can’t use it more than once or twice a season but it can add some fun.
I haven't seen any basketball phtotgraphers behind the net using a 8-15mm but I can picture it being useful/fun :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Can you share some compelling f/2.8 macro shots? I don't care if they're yours or off the net. If I'm wrong I'd like to learn it sooner than later :-D
It’s not 1:1 macro, but shots of butterflies on stalks can be great at f/2.8 when framed properly.

A shot like this, but framed slightly wider. The below is at f/8 because I didn’t trust my framing enough. RP+EF180L.

20200725 0708 Nederland Zwolle - Canon EOS RP - EF180mm f-3.5L Macro USM at 180 mm - IMG_3770...jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
It’s not 1:1 macro, but shots of butterflies on stalks can be great at f/2.8 when framed properly.

A shot like this, but framed slightly wider. The below is at f/8 because I didn’t trust my framing enough. RP+EF180L.

View attachment 209652
Hey, that's a really nice photo, good one.

[EDIT: Now I think from the photo title that it was 180/3.5? I wrote the following assuming it was 100/2.8 and don't have time to re-write.]

OK, I see your point, macro COULD work at f/2.8. I'll to even further and agree maybe that picture is better at f/2.8 than f/3.5 or f/4. And if you're focus stacking f/2.8 could be usable for almost any subject though it'd be a lot more slices than smaller apertures...

Still, 1) as you say, it's not true macro, more like 1:2 or 1:3? So not quite what I was talking about. I was thinking more true macro at which point f/2.8 at 180mm might not even capture the bug's wings and eyes at the same time.

2) With macro you have a lot of control over the environment, and can literally kick down plants in the background if they're too in-focus. So even, for the sake of argument, f/4 would have made the background too in-focus here, you weren't stuck with that particular background...

3) What's the focal length in your example, 100mm? If so it's a 36mm aperture (100/2.8=36mm, the width of the "hole" that let enters). Shallow DOF doesn't come from the f-stop, but rather this optical aperture in mm. For instance 85/1.2=135/2=200/2.8=300/4=400/5.6 almost exactly in terms of DOF, at a given subject distance. Look at 400/5.6, then switch to 85/1.2 and crop out the central 21% (linear) of the image, and the bokeh would look almost exactly the same. So, if you're using 180mm, you'd get that same short DOF at same distance at about f/5. (180/36=5). (All this math is in theory as macros famously change focal length a lot as you focus close, and transmission lowers a lot too, though both are features of the lens design that aren't published specs. On old school lenses you could calculate, when the entire set of lens groups move but not on internal-focus designs.) I spoke rudely and further inaccurately to say f/2.8 was never useful, but I was thinking of 180mm, the focal length under discussion, and your image could be duplicated pretty closely with a 180/5 or certainly 180/3.5.

4) I also didn't come right out and say it but f/2.8 probably isn't NEEDED, a) in part again because at 180mm even f/5.6 DOF is practically nothing at closer than 1:2, b) in extremis you can alter the background, c) macro subjects that are slow enough to photograph often are very still indeed so shutter speed isn't a problem, d) IS should let you go down to 1/30 even when hand-holding macros, e) ISO on the R5 can go up to 2000 without showing notable noise, f) if you absolutely have to you can use Gaussian blur if there's too much DOF, or de-noise processing if ISO is set too high.

Again, sorry to have spoken so rudely and categorically.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]4) I also didn't come right out and say it but f/2.8 probably isn't NEEDED, a) in part again because at 180mm even f/5.6 DOF is practically nothing at closer than 1:2, b) in extremis you can alter the background, c) macro subjects that are slow enough to photograph often are very still indeed so shutter speed isn't a problem, d) IS should let you go down to 1/30 even when hand-holding macros, e) ISO on the R5 can go up to 2000 without showing notable noise, f) if you absolutely have to you can use Gaussian blur if there's too much DOF, or de-noise processing if ISO is set too high. [...]
For most of my uses for a 180-ish macro lens, f/5.6 would be fine, especially since it would make the lens a lot lighter. But I also use it with a camera trap I use to spot nightly critters in my garden. With the near darkness the AF on the R5 needs all the light it can get (even with exposure sim off), I can see subject and eye detection success go up from the EF180L to the RF100L, the RF85STM beats both of them.
The actual pictures need a smaller aperture to get a reasonable DoF, but the wide-open focus benefits from large apertures.

R5+180L, Godox v860II, f/9

toad.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Still, 1) as you say, it's not true macro, more like 1:2 or 1:3? So not quite what I was talking about. I was thinking more true macro at which point f/2.8 at 180mm might not even capture the bug's wings and eyes at the same time.
I didn't add any images in reply to your original post because I can't be certain how close to 1:1 any I found would have been, and I expected you to bring that up (and you would probably have argued they could be taken in others ways, which may be true). The fact is it's not a common occurrence to shoot wide open at MFD (in my experience), but that does not mean f/2.8 is useless.
2) With macro you have a lot of control over the environment, and can literally kick down plants in the background if they're too in-focus.
This may be possible sometimes but actually often you can't modify the scene without flushing the insect (if that is your subject), but also this is pretty bad practice; bending a few blades of grass may be ok, but beyond that prettifying your shot should not take precedence over the integrity of a habitat.
Again, sorry to have spoken so rudely and categorically.
You're right that in many circumstances a narrower aperture is fine - and having started using the RF 100-400 for flowers and larger insects, it's surprising how f/8 can give adequate subject separation and a nice enough background - but I'd still prefer a wider aperture for the very best quality shots.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Good to see thet Canon is methodically updated the EF glass to RF glass. While this lens does not appeal to me I am sure it has its uses.
I'm a little conflicted here. If its the same optics with extended barrel and RF electronics, I don't see a benefit over using the EF lens with barrel-extending adapter, or drop-in filter adapter. On the other hand, I think its too niche to justify new optics.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I love my EF 8-15 fisheye. I take it with me on every vacation. It's hard to imagine what Canon could do to get me to switch, considering I even now have access to filters thanks to the adapter.

But I know there are those people out there that look down on anything adapted, even if it's Canon lens through Canon Adapter to Canon Body.

So good for those people who've been waiting.

Upvote 0
Are you using the rear gel or the drop-in filter on R mount adapter? Either way, it would seem to me to be really hard to make a physical filter change without moving the camera - even on a tripod. Very small movements in the 8-15mm range make a big difference in perspective. Can you post an example?
I am using a drop in filter ef to rf mount adapter. I'm not choosing this feature / filter solution specifically for my ef 8-15mm F fisheye....no that would be a crazy investment for a rarely used feature. No, the drop in filter requirement is that I have a lot of wide angle ef glass, Including a 16-35IIL, 8-15L fish and TS-e 17L. The ability to use a standardised range of rear drop in filters that works for all of my ef glass is a huge benefit. Instead of carrying a plethora of different front filters in different sizes, I can carry a wee box of 3-4 filters that works for all my lenses...that's a serious benefit. I'm also finding that the rear mounted drop in filter solution seems to reduce sharpness degredation compared to stacking several front mounted filters. With the drop-in's, I can get away with a 3 stop, a 6 stop ND, a cpl, vari-ND and a single 5 stop dark CPL. There's less flare and optical ghosting when shooting into the sun. My current fiulter collection is a ND 3 stop, 6 Stop, 10 Stop and CPL in 82mm, 77mm and 72mm sizes. That's 16 filters!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am using a drop in filter ef to rf mount adapter. I'm not choosing this feature / filter solution specifically for my ef 8-15mm F fisheye....no that would be a crazy investment for a rarely used feature. No, the drop in filter requirement is that I have a lot of wide angle ef glass, Including a 16-35IIL, 8-15L fish and TS-e 17L. The ability to use a standardised range of rear drop in filters that works for all of my ef glass is a huge benefit. Instead of carrying a plethora of different front filters in different sizes, I can carry a wee box of 3-4 filters that works for all my lenses...that's a serious benefit. I'm also finding that the rear mounted drop in filter solution seems to reduce sharpness degredation compared to stacking several front mounted filters. With the drop-in's, I can get away with a 3 stop, a 6 stop ND, a cpl, vari-ND and a single 5 stop dark CPL. There's less flare and optical ghosting when shooting into the sun. My current fiulter collection is a ND 3 stop, 6 Stop, 10 Stop and CPL in 82mm, 77mm and 72mm sizes. That's 16 filters!
I am using a Nisi 100mm front filter set that has step down rings to smaller filter threads. CPL/5/10 stop ND, 3 stop grad ND and 4 stop reverse grad ND is a powerful (but expensive) combination of filters and I can use them on all my lenses bar 8-15mm and 14/2.8. I don't use filters for the latter ones as I use them for underwater/different perspectives and astro respectively.

Having the ability to mount CPL with ND/grad ND is a big advantage to me. Using the adaptor would mean only one at a time eg waterfalls need a CPL + ND/grad ND for instance. I also have a 5 and 10 stop ND

Upvote 0
Sorry but this sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. Canon hasn’t yet made the lens you want so anyone buying other lenses is rich and just collecting shiny gear?
Face book is full of newbies buying 28-70 F2 L on an R5...and this is their first camera. So I guess it's where you look. I have a large protfolio of EF lenses that are all well used (by me) including fisheyes, macros, TS-e, fast prime and the odd long wild life lens. In fact my enire lens collection are all L's which I bought new. My highest used lens (per frame count) is a 400mm f2.8 LIS, which I bought when there were still in production. The odd ball lens that is used by a lot of profressional and serious hobbiests for macro work is the EF 180mm f3.5 L macro. We are talking about a lens that was launched pre-digital in 1996. That's 27 years ago! That's older than some photographers I know!

Upvote 0
Sure, Meike 2 stop CPL drop in filter used with a Meike EF to RF adapter with a EF 8-15mm fisheye @ 15mm f4 attached to a Canon R8.
20230721-IMG_0338.jpg

Meike 2 stop CPL drop in filter used with a Meike EF to RF adapter with a EF 8-15mm fisheye @ 8mm f4 attached to a Canon R8.
20230721-IMG_0333.jpg

Meike 2 stop CPL drop in filter used with a Meike EF to RF adapter with a EF 11-24mm @ 11mm f4 attached to a Canon R8.
20230721-IMG_0331.jpg
I can use the same CPL and CPL adjustments to multiple lenses becuse the camera is static on a tripod, Effectively, so is the adpter and dropin filter and the only thing changes is the lens.

20230712-IMG_0237.jpg

20230624-875C8228.jpg

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
We have been told that a zoom fisheye similar to the EF version will be coming for the RF mount. It will be an “all-new” optical design and will work just fine on both crop and full-frame cameras. The EF 8-15mm f/4L USM was quite a popular niche lens, and we’d expect a similar focal

See full article...
Would you happen to have any information regarding the expected timeframe for the fisheye release that you can share? Thanks!

Upvote 0

JKT

Jan 28, 2022
Since in body focus bracketing is common, DOF is not allways an issue.
Precisely. In MP-E wide apertures are needed to fight diffraction. I would actually prefer MP-E split into two lenses: 1x - 3x with f/2.8 and 3x - 5x with f/2. The current f/2.8 is at its sharpest at about f/3.5 or f/4 and that is way too small with tightly packed sensors at 5x.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Precisely. In MP-E wide apertures are needed to fight diffraction. I would actually prefer MP-E split into two lenses: 1x - 3x with f/2.8 and 3x - 5x with f/2. The current f/2.8 is at its sharpest at about f/3.5 or f/4 and that is way too small with tightly packed sensors at 5x.
Since the current MP-E is fixed focus, you can’t use in-body stacking.

Upvote 0