Canon will bring an RF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM to the lineup in 2024

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I agree that the market probably can't support two 400mm f2.8 lenses in Canon's line up. Thr original 400mm f2.8 mk1 was designed for sports and action. However, I use mine mostly in a wildlife context. I find it very versatile with or witout teleconverters. When ever looking at a S/H model, I usually find that the chrome lens mount takes a pounding with these lenses...far more than any other big white. So it's safe to assume that teleconverter use with these lenses is very common. You effectively get a 400/2.8, 600/f4 and a 800/f5.6 with the one lens.
In a wild life context, I find that I am backlighting on a fairly regular basis. So a DO lens (assuming the same issues with the mkII 400mm DO) for me isnt something that i would look for in a lens. I currently use a EF 400mm f2.8 LIS mk II and I can't see any reason to side grade currently.
I get the max frame rate that my R6ii is capable of. I get the best sharpness and IQ that I've ever got from a 400/2.8 and it's a lot lighter than the mk1. This lens is very portable compared to the mk1.
The RF version is just a mkIII EF version with an integrated EF to RF adapter and the difference between the EF mkIII and the EF mkII seems to be slight. I'm finding the mkII to be light and portable enough. Maybe that'll change for me when I'm another 10 eyars older!
A Do lens would be a lot smaller and lighter for sure, but will it be enough over the current RF version? It's possible that the DO prime would sit along side a more expensive zoom version. Say a DO option and a 100-400/f2.8 option.
Who know's except behind the closed doors of Canon lens design HQ.
Can you use your 400mm f/2.8 for fast BIF? I once went on a Puffin shoot and got loads of great keepers of flying ones with the 400mm f/4 DO II but the guys with the 400/2.8 on tripods hardly got any because they weren't mobile enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
Now I get to keep my dream of a replacement 70-300 f4 DO lens alive (not an f4-5.6 but you'd think with new tech on an RF mount, this should be reasonable). I loved this lens and it's the only one I had that was stolen. I know a lot of others hated this lens because it was soft but when traveling or I needed inconspicuous reach, it was awesome. It also sharpened great.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It's not coming. The rumored superzoom that was believed to have possibly been a 200-500 just came out as a 200-800.
I disagree. Canon recently discontinued the EF 200-400 mm f4 and the EF 500 mm f4 II has also be discontinued for some time. There has been numerous rumors of the 200-500 mm f4 development and the rumored list pricing is $16K US. My guess is that the lens's announcement is pushed back until Q1-Q2 2024 until Canon fills orders for the RF 100-300 mm f2.8. I believe that Canon Rumor Guy even mentioned that he knew of someone that was testing the lens, but I cannot find the thread where that was mentioned.

According to Canon the RF 100-300 mm lens was the first in a new series of lenses being developed:

"As a brand new flagship for the large aperture telephoto L zoom lenses, we gave the RF100- 300mm F2.8 L IS USM styling appropriate for a lens that will lead the series from now on."

This statement suggests that Canon is planning other large aperture telephoto L zoom lenses besides the RF 100-300 mm f2.8. The recently announced 24-105 L 2.8 is another example and I am sure that others will follow with time. The 200-800 mm is neither large aperture nor a L-series lens.

Lastly, if one looks at the announcements of RF super telephoto L-series lenses they tend to be in Q1 or Q2 of any given year:

Upvote 0
It's not coming. The rumored superzoom that was believed to have possibly been a 200-500 just came out as a 200-800.
I think it is, just not this year. It’s the 500/f4 replacement but in a similar fashion to the 300/2.8’s replacement, it’s a zoom.
The 200-800 is a very different lens, genre and price point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Can you use your 400mm f/2.8 for fast BIF? I once went on a Puffin shoot and got loads of great keepers of flying ones with the 400mm f/4 DO II but the guys with the 400/2.8 on tripods hardly got any because they weren't mobile enough.
It really depends on the context. My 400/2.8 lis mk 1 was pretty much a tripod only lens. So it depend on the pre-prep, the tripod and gimbal / fluid head set up. Once set up, most likely. But if caught off guard, not likely.
But I see your point where the DO f4 version is just as hand holdable as the 400/5.6.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It really depends on the context. My 400/2.8 lis mk 1 was pretty much a tripod only lens. So it depend on the pre-prep, the tripod and gimbal / fluid head set up. Once set up, most likely. But if caught off guard, not likely.
But I see your point where the DO f4 version is just as hand holdable as the 400/5.6.
Tbh, I could have done as well with a 400/5.6 or the 100-400 II.

Upvote 0
Tbh, I could have done as well with a 400/5.6 or the 100-400 II.
I think in your situation, it's great to be able to use the one lens. It's lightness and portability is it's versatility.
A good friend of mine keeps his EF 400/f5.6 L purely for bird fly-bys and says it's the best lens for this (he probably hasn't tried the 400/f4 Do mkII).

I've not tried the EF 100-400mm f5.6 LIS II in this context yet. It's AF is very strong however, I'm finding with my copy that it's AF is sometimes a bit sticky and gets stuck on background items. I hear that is often a common downside with long lenses that employ a rear focus lens designs. The mk1's AF was very slow and hesitant. I wold assume that Canon have over come this issue with the RF100-500.

Unfortunatly for us, but great for Canon...no one lens can do it all!

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I disagree. Canon recently discontinued the EF 200-400 mm f4 and the EF 500 mm f4 II has also be discontinued for some time. There has been numerous rumors of the 200-500 mm f4 development and the rumored list pricing is $16K US. My guess is that the lens's announcement is pushed back until Q1-Q2 2024 until Canon fills orders for the RF 100-300 mm f2.8. I believe that Canon Rumor Guy even mentioned that he knew of someone that was testing the lens, but I cannot find the thread where that was mentioned.

According to Canon the RF 100-300 mm lens was the first in a new series of lenses being developed:

"As a brand new flagship for the large aperture telephoto L zoom lenses, we gave the RF100- 300mm F2.8 L IS USM styling appropriate for a lens that will lead the series from now on."

This statement suggests that Canon is planning other large aperture telephoto L zoom lenses besides the RF 100-300 mm f2.8. The recently announced 24-105 L 2.8 is another example and I am sure that others will follow with time. The 200-800 mm is neither large aperture nor a L-series lens.

Lastly, if one looks at the announcements of RF super telephoto L-series lenses they tend to be in Q1 or Q2 of any given year:

Believe me, I'd love to see it! Right now my "want" focus is on the variable teleconverter rumored earlier this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Believe me, I'd love to see it! Right now my "want" focus is on the variable teleconverter rumored earlier this year.
I think the variable teleconverter was rumored to be announced in parallel with the 200-500 mm f4 lens. The first half of 2024 is going to have a lot of announcements from Canon and other camera manufacturers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0