Report: Canon to launch 4 fast L prime lenses in the first half of 2024

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have mentioned that we won’t be reporting on a couple of the most requested prime lenses for the RF mount until we have information we’re 100% confident in, but there are a few reports on the topic making their way around the web. It’s rumored that Canon will announce 4 fast L prime wide

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
Ah Good...this news should release a few more EF 35mm f1.4 II L's onto the used market before Christmas!

While a lot of guys are patiently waiting the RF35L, the most critical here in terms of optical and technical update is the EF 24mm f1.4II L.
The mk1 was quite soft and the mkII brought it's optical formular and technology to the level of the EF 35mm mk1. When the EF 35mm f1.4 mkII was released, there wasn't a mkIII of the EF 24L...and the mkII is really dated in terms of it's optics and coatings.

The RF14mm f1.4 L is a suprise (and an astro dream lens) and certainly a lens that I'd like to try out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I might be interested in one or two of these lenses, but since I own the 28-70 mm f2 buying either the 28 or the 35 mm seems redundant. Might seriously consider the 14 mm f1.4 as an ultrafast ultra wide angle lens. I am interested in the 200-500 mm f4 which is rumored to be released in 2024 before the summer Olympics.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm totally ignorant on these matters so could people enlighten me: why a 28 as well as 24 and 35? Is that a gap that needs to be plugged?
Not that I can see. 28mm lenses were common when making 24mm lenses was a big technical challenge. Plus, there’s already the 28/2.8.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I will do my best to ignore this rumor (specifically the part about the 35mm) until we get a more solid one.
I dunno. Why IS in these lenses? They did not put it in the 50 and 85 1.2 where it would have made more sense. I use those 2 and I am not missing ILIS, so I am sure that IBIS would be fine for wider primes.

I am all for having more options and the 14 f/1.4 does intrigue me. The 24 and 28 much less so, unless the 35 will indeed be 1.4, in which case I may avoid it out of spite :)
And yes, spite. It's my hobby, my passion, my money, so Canon gets my business only if I like their offerings. No need to discuss, you're not going to change my mind.

In the meantime, I am patiently waiting for the 10-20 and 200-800 I have ordered to ship....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm totally ignorant on these matters so could people enlighten me: why a 28 as well as 24 and 35? Is that a gap that needs to be plugged?
Historically, it's more of a Nikon thing. Canon were the first to create a 28-70mm f2.8 L way back. It was a massive seller and most pro's had one as their main goto lens.
Nikon eventially released their version after a long wait...and just after it was launched, Canon dropped the worlds first 24-70mm f2.8 (which we all take for granted). Again, this became a massive long time big seller for Canon. Nikon users were "happy" with their 28-70/2.8 (which was a fine lens). A lot of Nikon users got used to the 28mm view point as being their wide option. Back then no one bothered with UWA lenses...you had to be wealthy or had a very specific photographic need for a 16-35mm lens.
Nikon eventually released their 24-70/2.8 and with their recently adopted CMOS sensors...a lot of wedding photographers jumped ship because this new Nikon lens was a lot sharper at 70mm than the Canon version. Nikon didn't have many super fast primes (unlike Canon who had 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2 and 135mm f2.0 options). The only fast primes they had were the 28mm f1.4 (see a common trend there), a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f1.4. There wer fine lenses but their AF was very dated and slow compared to the far more modern lenses that Canon already head. Around 2008, Nikon launched a range of f1.4 glass to match Canon's offerings.

In Nikon world, there's a lot of photographers who like the 28mm perpective. In the Canon world a lot of mediochre consumer zoom lenses started at 28mm. So this particular view point wasn't generally as appreciated as it was in the Nikon linage. So i don't think there will be a lot of Canon enthusiasts picking up the new RF 28mm f1.4. Especially if they already have a suite of fast EF primes. But if you are a Nikon enthusuast who's about to re-transistion back to Canon...it makes a lot of like for like trading sense.

For years I used a EF 28-135mm f5.6 IS and was really happy with 28mm as my widest option. It wasn't until I started to shoot weddings that I bought a 24-70 f2.8 L and realised just how useful those extra 4mm were on a standard f2.8 zoom. In the early days of digital (I had a new 300D) I bought the first copy of the Sigma 12-24mm f5.6 HSM in the county...on my Eos 33 film camera it was OMG wide. On my 300D...it was nice and wide! When the 5D finally dropped, I was one of the first in my area to buy one because I wanted the full frame sensor...and my 12-24mm lens became my OMG lens for many years.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0