There are 4 wide-angle L prime lenses coming in the next 12 months [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As we look at the holes in the RF lens lineup, it’s easy to come to the conclusion that the wide angle prime lens offerings are lacking. We currently only have the Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro and Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro lenses to fill the void.
We have been told that Canon will be releasing the following 4 wide angle L prime lenses in the next 12 months.

Canon RF 12mm f/1.8L USM
Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM
Canon RF 28mm f/1.4L USM
Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM (This has been rumored for an eternity)

That said, the next L lens to be announced from Canon will be the Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L USM. We’re not sure if this lens will get a DS version like the RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM. We’re...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020
There is pattern and I'm not liking it.

Canon were king of the heap for 30 years before RF. Now they seem to only be interested in extremes - extreme fast lenses (f1.2 f1.4 etc) at stupid high prices, or extreme slow, f-****-elevens. To make sure they irritate as much people as possible, they won't let third-party lenses compete.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2020
A 12mm f1.8? That seems......odd. I would think milky way/aurora photographers would prefer a 16mm 1.8. who would the 12mm be for? Architecture perhaps?
they seem to be releasing lenses without much logic, they make them just because they can. I am struggling to get the lenses that I really want to use.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Same old story, ridiculously wide maximum aperture exotica at what will be equally ridiculous prices

... or super-cheap lenses with slow-focus STM motors.

***SCREAM for INBETWEEN***
Consider that you get almost the full range of these (rumored, at this point) fast L primes with an f/4 aperture, L-series build and fast focusing for probably less than what just one of them will cost, by buying the RF 14-35/4L IS.

The L-series, in Canon's philosophy, is about extremes. The goalposts have moved as technology improves, and what was once difficult becomes easier to achieve. But I believe that L-series lenses will always try to push the optical envelope (and the wallet). Slow L-series primes in the wide to short tele range (where there are already multiple L zoom lenses with slow apertures) aren't at all likely.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sony has a 14mm f1.8 GM which is very popular with astro landscape shooters. Perhaps this 12mm f1.8 is Canon’s response to that lens.
Yes, and if Canon ever decides to optimize a wide, fast lens to have low coma and astigmatism then maybe this 12/1.8 will actually serve that purpose. Canon seems to aggressively ignore those aberrations in their lens designs, but there's always hope that will change.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Same old story, ridiculously wide maximum aperture exotica at what will be equally ridiculous prices

... or super-cheap lenses with slow-focus STM motors.

***SCREAM for INBETWEEN***
I think that Canon is doing the right thing by catering to the extremes.
People who want the middle can adapt EF.

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Consider that you get almost the full range of these (rumored, at this point) fast L primes with an f/4 aperture, L-series build and fast focusing for probably less than what just one of them will cost, by buying the RF 14-35/4L IS.

The L-series, in Canon's philosophy, is about extremes. The goalposts have moved as technology improves, and what was once difficult becomes easier to achieve. But I believe that L-series lenses will always try to push the optical envelope (and the wallet). Slow L-series primes in the wide to short tele range (where there are already multiple L zoom lenses with slow apertures) aren't at all likely.
I agree with all of that neuro, but it still frustrates me that there are very few mid-range, mid-price L-quality lenses with modest apertures that would result in smaller, lighter lenses.

It's difficult to gauge how much demand there is for such optics, but I honestly believe they would sell in high enough numbers to make it worthwhile to Canon, and I also believe that the "policy of extremes" is alienating a lot of existing customers, and discouraging new customers.

Upvote 0