Bad news: The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM has been pushed into 2023

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
According to LensRentals, they don't have more dust issues with pump-zooms than with the other type. It seems to be a psychological issue more than a real one.
Yes, I read the LensRentals analysis some time ago, and I haven't had dust issues myself. I'm sure that there are some who exaggerate the issue, and probably a few malicious individuals searching for a reason to denigrate Canon glass for whatever reason. Also, there will be natural worriers who may be influenced by internet talk. Personally, if Canon gave me the choice between a telescopic zoom and an internal zoom, for comparable size and cost, and with the same MFD, I'd go for the internal one though - I just think it's a better design.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, of course. I'm glad that the benefits have been significant for you.

For me there was no significant gain in going from the EF 24-105mm F4 to the RF version.
The RF version of the 24-105/4L launched at the same price as the EF 24-105/4L II. Canon charges heavily for the RF improvements, but for the lens that didn't improve, they kept the price the same. Pretty fair, no?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, I read the LensRentals analysis some time ago, and I haven't had dust issues myself. I'm sure that there are some who exaggerate the issue, and probably a few malicious individuals searching for a reason to denigrate Canon glass for whatever reason. Also, there will be natural worriers who may be influenced by internet talk. Personally, if Canon gave me the choice between a telescopic zoom and an internal zoom, for comparable size and cost, and with the same MFD, I'd go for the internal one though - I just think it's a better design.
Me too...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The RF version of the 24-105/4L launched at the same price as the EF 24-105/4L II. Canon charges heavily for the RF improvements, but for the lens that didn't improve, they kept the price the same. Pretty fair, no?
The price was fair, yes. My old EF 24-105mm F4 ii had gone back to Canon twice under warranty, both times with the same issue, that required the middle group of elements containing the iris mechanism to be completely replaced. I no longer trusted it, hence the "upgrade".

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The higher magnification of the RF100L is IMO significant.
For some it will be - e.g. for wedding photographers who use the lens to shoot portraits and close-ups of rings etc, it adds significant and worthwhile functionality, saving them from having to swap lenses.

I use the lens primarily for handheld AF photography of living insects and other invertebrates, so it offers me no real advantages (and a couple of downsides previously mentioned) compared to the EF version.

When I need higher magnification than 1:1, I'd be using the MF Laowa 25mm 2.5-5x on a focus rail and tripod.

We all have different needs, some of us will be pleased, others will be disappointed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What a magical, persnickety lens. One of my favorite Canon lenses of all time. I’m sure this would be the very last EF mount lens to get an RF replacement.

OK, carry on.
Rumors of updated TS-E lenses include possible AF, and also movement encoding. The former I could not care less about, the latter would be great if used, for example, to permit movement-specific corrections by RAW conversion software like DxO PhotoLab.

I have both the 17 and 24 II lenses, for the former an RF version would need to be something really special to outweigh the advantage of being able to use the drop-in filter adapter instead of the 145mm 'salad plate' front filters that I have but don't like carrying/using. Same applies to the EF 11-24/4 (I don't even have the 'dinner plate' filters for that (I do have a 10-stop piece of gelatin filter cut for it, but you can't rear-mount a CPL which is useful to control reflections).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I got the Sigma 28mm f/1.4 Art at Adorama on a $539 sale not announced on this site (though several such sales have been). I had the first EF 35/1.4 and the 24/1.4 and the first was too normalish (and coma-prone) while the second not bokeh-y enough for me. The 28/1.4 is nice though it's the only lens I own that isn't for a specific shot.
I wish I could buy at Adorama! They don’t ship to Australia. I’d be all over the Sigma 28mm at those prices.

Upvote 0
Ready to trade my RF50 1.2 for the 35 when it comes. I'd rather crop than step back.
I love the rf50 1.2 but regardless, it is has always been my least used lens. I tend to gravitate towards longer lengths so when I want something short, 50 doesn’t appeal and I grab the 28-70 or 15-35. I may sell for the 35 as well…or just have both.

Upvote 0
I'd love a fast 35 (other than the STM) for travel this year but my desires are either an unannounced Canon lens or an unavailable everywhere X100V. Guess I'll carry what I have (big and slow yet great IQ) unless the universe answers my calls.

Looks like Abes has one. Ps. Two totally different wishes. Lol
You know, two other options….I have the Canon EOS R5,6,3 and RP and 12 RF lenses and I just went to Greece and took a G7X MK iii. Not even kidding. We were going from place to place and I really tried to cut weight. Not taking anything other than that tiny camera almost gave me heart palpitations but it lived up to the hype in the end.

My son also took that little baby to Egypt and came home with great images as well.

Second “travel” option, the R or RP with the 24-105L. Pretty light setup. I sent this combo with my son when he went to Everest. I do not jest. Anyways, he backpacked with it for 14 days. I have blown up 3 of his images into huge prints and they are insane. I am always referring this combo to people who want quality but can’t/or don’t want to afford higher end gear. The quality blew my mind and such a light, take everywhere camera.
Anyways, just chirping in for fun. I hope the 35 comes out asap too. Better be a 1.2. Def not using for travel though. Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do you?

Abe's of Maine used to be Abe's Camera. When the BBB delisted them due to repeated complaints, they changed their business name. They're not on Fuji's list of authorized resellers. As they say, caveat emptor. Or if you prefer English, as P.T. Barnum (might have) said, there's a sucker born every minute.

Looks like Abes has one. Ps. Two totally different wishes. Lol
You know, two other options….I have the Canon EOS R5,6,3 and RP and 12 RF lenses and I just went to Greece and took a G7X MK iii. Not even kidding. We were going from place to place and I really tried to cut weight. Not taking anything other than that tiny camera almost gave me heart palpitations but it lived up to the hype in the end.

My son also took that little baby to Egypt and came home with great images as well.

Second “travel” option, the R or RP with the 24-105L. Pretty light setup. I sent this combo with my son when he went to Everest. I do not jest. Anyways, he backpacked with it for 14 days. I have blown up 3 of his images into huge prints and they are insane. I am always referring this combo to people who want quality but can’t/or don’t want to afford higher end gear. The quality blew my mind and such a light, take everywhere camera.
Anyways, just chirping in for fun. I hope the 35 comes out asap too. Better be a 1.2. Def not using for travel though. Lol
Not my first rodeo, I am well aware that Abe's is one hot turd in the online photo world.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Second “travel” option, the R or RP with the 24-105L.
I second the 24-105L. I'd like to see a 24-70/2.8 lens photo that wouldn't have been as salable taken with the 24-105/4 instead, and it's lighter and obviously longer, as well as cheaper. And both lenses have a 25mm aperture wide-open at the long end so you even have the same bokeh if you need to use it for a portrait.

I don't agree to the R/RP. The R5 is so much more capable and only a few grams more. R would be OK if you need CHEAP not LIGHT. I'm not at all sold on Canon's in-lens IS PLUS IBIS gambit. In part I never get within 2 stops of what they claim, and in part subject motion almost invariably becomes an issue anyway. But with the 24-105/4, IBIS is not a necessity, just another 1-2 stops I'd guess. On the other hand the R5 autofocus seems magic. So if you have to use an R, you're not losing much with IBIS (at least with an IS lens) but you are losing AF as well as resolution.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
I second the 24-105L. I'd like to see a 24-70/2.8 lens photo that wouldn't have been as salable taken with the 24-105/4 instead, and it's lighter and obviously longer, as well as cheaper. And both lenses have a 25mm aperture wide-open at the long end so you even have the same bokeh if you need to use it for a portrait.

I don't agree to the R/RP. The R5 is so much more capable and only a few grams more. R would be OK if you need CHEAP not LIGHT. I'm not at all sold on Canon's in-lens IS PLUS IBIS gambit. In part I never get within 2 stops of what they claim, and in part subject motion almost invariably becomes an issue anyway. But with the 24-105/4, IBIS is not a necessity, just another 1-2 stops I'd guess. On the other hand the R5 autofocus seems magic. So if you have to use an R, you're not losing much with IBIS (at least with an IS lens) but you are losing AF as well as resolution.
I appreciate all the advice from both you Frank and the previous poster. I have been doing this a very long time and have traveled with a variety of gear from minimalism to the 1510 case, chock full.
I'm using a small kit these days mostly L f/4 zooms and have the desire for a pancake but with the RF flange I know that's not happening and even though rachskis801 (possibly from Utah?) kind of laughed at my X100v idea, it's just the focal length and I have long desired an X100 model.
I kept trying various smaller Canon bodies to use alongside my 5D3 or R6 and none did it for me except the M5 briefly. I also have stated I am done buying cameras which isn't quite true, done buying ILC's. A slim quality crop Point & shoot would be a great complement to a FF Canon with 700g + zooms. Plus, I just have to see what all the fuss is about.
Lastly, I have always been in the camp of waiting for the mid level primes which never seem to materialize, i.e. EF 50 1.4 ll, RF 35 1.4 L, you get the idea. I Had the RF 35 1.8 STM and I came away unimpressed. The color, contrast, vignette, barrel distortion etc had it striaght to MPB.com after a few months. So I desired that focal range 35-ish in an L lens but not a 1.2.

Another thing is something like an X100V would be shared by my spouse who has no desire to use my R6 & glass.

The End.

Upvote 0
I appreciate all the advice from both you Frank and the previous poster. I have been doing this a very long time and have traveled with a variety of gear from minimalism to the 1510 case, chock full.
I'm using a small kit these days mostly L f/4 zooms and have the desire for a pancake but with the RF flange I know that's not happening and even though rachskis801 (possibly from Utah?) kind of laughed at my X100v idea, it's just the focal length and I have long desired an X100 model.
I kept trying various smaller Canon bodies to use alongside my 5D3 or R6 and none did it for me except the M5 briefly. I also have stated I am done buying cameras which isn't quite true, done buying ILC's. A slim quality crop Point & shoot would be a great complement to a FF Canon with 700g + zooms. Plus, I just have to see what all the fuss is about.
Lastly, I have always been in the camp of waiting for the mid level primes which never seem to materialize, i.e. EF 50 1.4 ll, RF 35 1.4 L, you get the idea. I Had the RF 35 1.8 STM and I came away unimpressed. The color, contrast, vignette, barrel distortion etc had it striaght to MPB.com after a few months. So I desired that focal range 35-ish in an L lens but not a 1.2.

Another thing is something like an X100V would be shared by my spouse who has no desire to use my R6 & glass.

The End.
I wasn’t laughing at all. Just trying to be nice and not come off rude. I guess this is just another place in the universe where people get to be know it alls and dicks instead of just saying “oh hey, not a reputable dealer.” So I apologize. I’ve never bought from Abes, it just popped up when I checked out the camera because I was interested in what you were interested in. I’ll keep my mouth shut from here on out.

Upvote 0