Are two versions of the RF 35L coming? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A report is floating around the web that Canon may release two versions of the RF 35mm f/1.2 or f/1.4L USM whenever it is finally announced. This is currently the most requested lens from Canon that we are continuously reminded about. The Camera Insider claims: A sales rep that handles some distribution of Canon lenses

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 20, 2020
I'm yet to hear that people are using DS.
I know a few people but I would never be able to give up over a T stop.
I guess it does make sense as a rental lens.
The bokeh is perfect.

How different is the SA control on the RF100 vs DS on the RF85/1.2?
SA control puts soft focus on the foreground as well as the background and does not impact the T stops.
Of Course, the RF100 is at a higher T stop than the RF 85 f/1.2 DS anyway.

The DS lens only smooths out what is out of focus.
What is in focus remains razor sharp.
The background being more out of focus makes what is in focus seem even sharper than the non DS version.

Upvote 0
My crackpot theory which is based on nothing but pure speculation is....Canon created a RF 35mm f1.2 already sometime ago, but it was huge, heavy, slow to focus and would have to be sold at over 5k USD in order to make any money from it. The canon marketing team, who were scared of the bloodbath that would come in the comment section of websites like this, didn't approve it's release. A decision was made to introduce a 35mm f1.4 (basically like the EF version that exists) to be released alongside the f1.2. That way any criticism of the 1.2 can be reflected with the 1.4 and visa-versa.

Joking aside, one thing that I would say is if at the end of this all we get from Canon is a 35mm f1.4, then it is likely that they tried and failed to make a 35mm 1.2 and that we probably will never see such a lens in the future. Otherwise it makes no sense that it would take this long to release.

Upvote 0
Joking aside, one thing that I would say is if at the end of this all we get from Canon is a 35mm f1.4, then it is likely that they tried and failed to make a 35mm 1.2 and that we probably will never see such a lens in the future. Otherwise it makes no sense that it would take this long to release.
I don't think there needs to be a narrative/one overarching reason behind the delay (if indeed it has been relative to Canon's original plans). It could just never have been a number 1 priority, and lots of little setbacks caused it to be nudged further into the future. That's how life is sometimes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
My crackpot theory which is based on nothing but pure speculation is....Canon created a RF 35mm f1.2 already sometime ago, but it was huge, heavy, slow to focus and would have to be sold at over 5k USD in order to make any money from it. The canon marketing team, who were scared of the bloodbath that would come in the comment section of websites like this, didn't approve it's release. A decision was made to introduce a 35mm f1.4 (basically like the EF version that exists) to be released alongside the f1.2. That way any criticism of the 1.2 can be reflected with the 1.4 and visa-versa.

That's my fear... that the reason the 35 1.2 hasn't been released yet is that they have encountered issues.
I wouldn't be on the market for a DS version. No IS does not bother me since the other 1.2 lenses don't have it and their fl is longer and I am fine with them as they are on the R5.

Oh well. We will see I guess. But Canon please release the 35 with 1.2 aperture! I want it! :D

And to the people that will chime in saying that no one needs 1.2... I do not care about your opinion. It's only that, your opinion. I still want an 1.2, I will use it fully open when needed and I will carry it as I carry the 50 and 85 1.2

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
I would fall off my chair if it ends up being f/1.4. Sony and Sigma make 35/1.2, and methinks Canon will compete with those lenses. I wonder if they are looking at going even a tad faster than f/1.2
As for two different versions. Here we are at zero versions (not counting 35/1.8), and after all these years there'd suddenly be two? I suppose stranger things have happened, but that seems weird to me.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
Maybe there's an f1.2 and an f1.4 version coming for both the customers with extra organs to sell and us normal folk.
Maybe this is the beginning of a wave of f1.4 L lenses that do not cost 3k upwards.
Maybe the R5 mark2 doesn't cost 5k.
I KNOW BUT LET ME DREAM DAMMIT
"with extra organs to sell" (y):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0