Is a Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS on the way? [CR1]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The high end RF range has unicorn lenses that sound amazing but are even better when you actually own them, as long as sticker shock doesn't kill you. 28-70 is a magical lens without peer, 70-200/2.8 is amazingly tiny, and 100-500 is way better than I thought it would be.

Some of the lenses are pretty nice improvements over EF like 14-35 /4 vs 16-35.

My one complaint is that teleconverters have very limited compatibility / utility because of how close the first element is to the sensor. I guess I'd love a enthusiast 200-600 too.
Yes, the teleconverter issue is a problem for some.

You just reminded me that I could use one on my EF 135mm. I had the 2x converter years ago, but wasn't happy with it. Just didn't get sharp enough. I wonder if the equation has changed with the mirrorless focusing system? AFMA was so tedious.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
On the other hand, Canon makes some greats that can't be matched imo. I had the RF 50mm f/1.2L. Yes, very pricey. When I got slaughtered by the pandemic I had to sell. I got the Tamron 45mm f/1.8, falsely reasoning and hopelessly hoping, "It can't be that much different." I was lying to myself, hoping to feel better.

The Tamron I have sucks wide open with horrible CA wide open. It's great by f/2.8. The Canon costs worlds more, but tack sharp at f/1.2. That's the reason for Canon for me. Someday, sigh, someday. :)

Well, for me it all depends on "how much better" a thing is compared to another one, and relate that to the price :) the RF 50 f1.2 is the best (or one of the 2/3 best, as I don't really follow news on other manufacturers) autofocus lens of his specie? Yes, absolutely. But cost around 2500€.

I have the adapted Sigma 50 f1.4 Art, which can be found around 600/700€ new and down to 400€ used, so let's say 500€ on average, a fifth of the RF. Is the Canon better then mine (and of course 1/3rd of a stop brighter, and also doesn't need the adapter)? YES, ABSOLUTELY, and by a large margin.

...but is it 2000€ better then mine? No way, at least personally for what I do (and I dare to say, it's not 5 times better for anyone, not just for me).
I heard good things of the Sigma 40 f1.4 Art, which can be found I think around 1000€ new; the RF is better? Hell yeah! The RF is 1500€ better? Well, again, not for me. And I thought in the past about switching my Sigma 50 with the Sigma 40, which is better (crystal clear by any test out there). But is it two times the price better? Again, not for me.

So, I like and appreciate nice stuff and great lenses :) but then comes a moment where you have to balance how much better a thing is compared to what you have, and what would be the cost of the upgrade. Sometimes it's worth the expense, sometimes (most of the times I dare to say) it's not. I'm pretty sure that any photo between the RF 50 1.2 and my Sigma is distinguishable in a blind test only on screen at 100%, or on paper if printed on a billboard and watched from a close distance.
On a magazine cover, after retouch, you wouldn't distinguish the two, and you won't distinguish a plastic EF 50 f1.8 if all three lenses are equally shot at f2; on social media even less. So if I was to shoot billboards and worldwide campaigns I would maybe (not certainly) buy the RF, but as I shoot corporate headshots at f8 in the studio, or I shoot weddings where no couple ever asked me to print bigger then A3, I can say that there's no difference with my Sigma, so there's no reason to put in 5 times the price, at least for a working professional. Of course if someone wants the RF for the pleasure of having it that's absolutely right and sacred, but don't expect so much real life difference as the marketing would suggest.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, for me it all depends on "how much better" a thing is compared to another one, and relate that to the price :) the RF 50 f1.2 is the best (or one of the 2/3 best, as I don't really follow news on other manufacturers) autofocus lens of his specie? Yes, absolutely. But cost around 2500€.

I have the adapted Sigma 50 f1.4 Art, which can be found around 600/700€ new and down to 400€ used, so let's say 500€ on average, a fifth of the RF. Is the Canon better then mine (and of course 1/3rd of a stop brighter, and also doesn't need the adapter)? YES, ABSOLUTELY, and by a large margin.

...but is it 2000€ better then mine? No way, at least personally for what I do (and I dare to say, it's not 5 times better for anyone, not just for me).
I heard good things of the Sigma 40 f1.4 Art, which can be found I think around 1000€ new; the RF is better? Hell yeah! The RF is 1500€ better? Well, again, not for me. And I thought in the past about switching my Sigma 50 with the Sigma 40, which is better (crystal clear by any test out there). But is it two times the price better? Again, not for me.

So, I like and appreciate nice stuff and great lenses :) but then comes a moment where you have to balance how much better a thing is compared to what you have, and what would be the cost of the upgrade. Sometimes it's worth the expense, sometimes (most of the times I dare to say) it's not. I'm pretty sure that any photo between the RF 50 1.2 and my Sigma is distinguishable in a blind test only on screen at 100%, or on paper if printed on a billboard and watched from a close distance.
On a magazine cover, after retouch, you wouldn't distinguish the two, and you won't distinguish a plastic EF 50 f1.8 if all three lenses are equally shot at f2; on social media even less. So if I was to shoot billboards and worldwide campaigns I would maybe (not certainly) buy the RF, but as I shoot corporate headshots at f8 in the studio, or I shoot weddings where no couple ever asked me to print bigger then A3, I can say that there's no difference with my Sigma, so there's no reason to put in 5 times the price, at least for a working professional. Of course if someone wants the RF for the pleasure of having it that's absolutely right and sacred, but don't expect so much real life difference as the marketing would suggest.
Like I said, f/1.2 tack sharp is the reason for me. Of course, if you are doing f/8 headshots...

So we all shoot what makes us happy, or happy enough for what we can afford. F/8 doesn't work for me in most of what I like to do. Your in business. I'm not. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The high end RF range has unicorn lenses that sound amazing but are even better when you actually own them, as long as sticker shock doesn't kill you. 28-70 is a magical lens without peer, 70-200/2.8 is amazingly tiny, and 100-500 is way better than I thought it would be.

Some of the lenses are pretty nice improvements over EF like 14-35 /4 vs 16-35.

My one complaint is that teleconverters have very limited compatibility / utility because of how close the first element is to the sensor. I guess I'd love a enthusiast 200-600 too.
BTW: So nice to see you. I'm hoping others I've not seen in a while pop up soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
BTW: So nice to see you. I'm hoping others I've not seen in a while pop up soon.
Aww thanks :)

I've been lurking...just a lot of work and family stuff recently. Not enough time for photography and posting, lol!!

I'm jazzed about all the cool, neat stuff in the pipeline though!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I've been lurking...just a lot of work and family stuff recently. Not enough time for photography and posting, lol!!

Me too! Jazzed and broke. Lol. My priorities had to change. Bought 2 acres and gonna convert a shed to temporarily live in while we save to build. No building codes or permits in my remote part of the Ozarks. Gonna be off grid a couple of years. :)

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Like I said, f/1.2 tack sharp is the reason for me. Of course, if you are doing f/8 headshots...

So we all shoot what makes us happy, or happy enough for what we can afford. F/8 doesn't work for me in most of what I like to do. Your in business. I'm not. :)
I shoot corporate headshots for a living, but that doesn't mean that I "like to do" them ahah ;)

I also shoot (apart from weddings) personal portraits (still for money, but mainly because I like to do them, as the income of those is like 5% max on my turnover), mostly in natural light, so I'm pretty familiar to shoot with a 50 at full f1.4 aperture, and I can say that again, with anything less then an A3 print or a full 100% monitor scrutiny, no one will distinguish the RF 50 from a Sigma 50 Art, they're both equally tack sharp at their max aperture.

And yeah, if someone can afford the RF, like you do, and likes to have it, it's a RIGHTFUL luxury to have it! But that doesn't change that the RF is not 5 times better then the 50 Art, for anyone and for any work, the difference is there, but it's negligible :)

(the pics below are with PP, especially the first, but believe me that the original raw are as sharp as it gets)
Cami-96-Modifica.jpg tvb-104.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I shoot corporate headshots for a living, but that doesn't mean that I "like to do" them ahah ;)

I also shoot (apart from weddings) personal portraits (still for money, but mainly because I like to do them, as the income of those is like 5% max on my turnover), mostly in natural light, so I'm pretty familiar to shoot with a 50 at full f1.4 aperture, and I can say that again, with anything less then an A3 print or a full 100% monitor scrutiny, no one will distinguish the RF 50 from a Sigma 50 Art, they're both equally tack sharp at their max aperture.

And yeah, if someone can afford the RF, like you do, and likes to have it, it's a RIGHTFUL luxury to have it! But that doesn't change that the RF is not 5 times better then the 50 Art, for anyone and for any work, the difference is there, but it's negligible :)

(the pics below are with PP, especially the first, but believe me that the original raw are as sharp as it gets)
View attachment 208057 View attachment 208058
Oh, you misunderstand. I can no longer afford RF. All gone.

Talent eclipses gear anyway. You're doing great. :)

Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020

This way of thinking could be applied to everything. Is the Mercedes-Benz S five times better than the Toyota Corolla? Even the difference of 1.2 vs 1.4 can mean that you won't take some photos or not as you imagine. And when you consider that you can use the lens for ten years or more... But I agree that Sigma Art lenses are great. I have a 20, 35 (if RF 1.2 comes out, I'll switch) and a 105, and it's big and heavy, but awesome. I've been thinking about selling it and buying a RF 85 1.2, but I don't know if that would be better. And having two focal lengths so close to each other seems pointless to me.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This way of thinking could be applied to everything. Is the Mercedes-Benz S five times better than the Toyota Corolla? Even the difference of 1.2 vs 1.4 can mean that you won't take some photos or not as you imagine. And when you consider that you can use the lens for ten years or more... But I agree that Sigma Art lenses are great. I have a 20, 35 (if RF 1.2 comes out, I'll switch) and a 105, and it's big and heavy, but awesome. I've been thinking about selling it and buying a RF 85 1.2, but I don't know if that would be better. And having two focal lengths so close to each other seems pointless to me.
I think he's being more practical and wise for his situation.

Absolutely, the Mercedes is higher status (to some). But better at what? The Toyota is more reliable. I've had to make those types of decisions recently. I'll have to say, my 30 year old f-150 hauls manure, rocks, and groceries just as well as an $80,000 halo pickup (and more reliably and far lower repair costs). It doesn't help the price difference vs practicality to say it's spread out over 20 years of use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
I think he's being more practical and wise for his situation.

Absolutely, the Mercedes is higher status (to some). But better at what? The Toyota is more reliable. I've had to make those types of decisions recently. I'll have to say, my 30 year old f-150 hauls manure, rocks, and groceries just as well as an $80,000 halo pickup (and more reliably and far lower repair costs). It doesn't help the price difference vs practicality to say it's spread out over 20 years of use.
Safety, modern systems (night vision, etc.), new bodywork vs rusty old, comfort, modern equipment - connection to the phone, navigation, ... there is a lot. If he wrote that he won't buy a new camera model, I'll take it, because it will be old in three years. But for example, the Sigma Art 35, which I use, came on the market in 2013. And if you spread the price of an expensive lens over 10-15 years, it's not so bad anymore. How much do you spend on cell phones during that time? I'm not saying that everyone has to have the most expensive equipment, but the idea - it's 5x more expensive but not 5x better is nonsense. This does not apply anywhere. Or if so, where?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I understand Canon's decision to go with the 1.2 lenses because they are so good that they will keep (DSLR) customers and bring in some more. Plus, you don't buy lenses for a year or two. If someone takes pictures of everything and nothing and needs fifteen lenses, it is financially demanding. But if he takes portraits, for example, and 35, 50 and 85 are enough for him, what is the difference in price between 1.2 and 1.4? Two iPhones?
Your looking at it from a still prospective I’m looking at it from a hybrid shooters perspective and after working in the motion picture camera rental business for 40 years.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Safety, modern systems (night vision, etc.), new bodywork vs rusty old, comfort, modern equipment - connection to the phone, navigation, ... there is a lot. If he wrote that he won't buy a new camera model, I'll take it, because it will be old in three years. But for example, the Sigma Art 35, which I use, came on the market in 2013. And if you spread the price of an expensive lens over 10-15 years, it's not so bad anymore. How much do you spend on cell phones during that time? I'm not saying that everyone has to have the most expensive equipment, but the idea - it's 5x more expensive but not 5x better is nonsense. This does not apply anywhere. Or if so, where?
I used my previous phone for about 12 years. Casio g'zone. I only gave it up because I got notice from my carrier that beginning x date, my phone would not longer work on their system. I paid $150 for this phone and have a 1 gig data plan. It's on wifi at home. I don't use it when I go places. $40/month.

$3k doesn't become less than $3k because it's spread out. It's still $3k, and if bought on credit it may be $7k "spread out".

My old truck is used on the farm and to run to town. My seat is aftermarket new. You got me on the safety.

If I make a long trip (500+ miles) I'd rent a car for AC. So I'm the wrong extremely frugal guy to ask. :) I am currently 100% off grid. I harvest rainwater. Run a generator when I need power until I can build solar. Septic system. By next spring I'll be raising all my own food. I have no mortgage. I wear clothing until it looks bad. Photography is my single money pit. Well, and catfishing. The whole economy could collapse and I'll be fine. Pandemic taught me that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I understand completely. I've not shot with my camera in a while now. I've been trying to clear 2 acres of Himalayan Blackberry. Not fun. Gotta dig every single root ball. These have been there for decades, with stumps sometimes 8" thick at ground level.

IMG_20230312_145211723.jpgIMG_20230312_144913341.jpgIMG_20230312_145109076.jpg

Upvote 0
This the lens that would have make me convert to Canon.
But instead I switched anyway and took the 28-70 f2.

So there's definitely a market for it.

Once they're at it, they should do the Tamron way, f/2-2.8
Canon lens you mean. the 28-70 f2 and the 24-70 f2.8 are far superior to any tamron lenses.

Upvote 0