Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS coming on November 2, 2023

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hello Alan. Honestly, I like them both very much. I haven't made comparisons like the superb comparisons you do (and thanks for that too by the way - in addition to the fact that I got the Nikon's and the 5DsR before thanks to your suggestions). I know this is not a scientific answer. But I mean they are very sharp fully open with 45mpixel FF cameras. In addition, I have used the zoom with the RF 2X and it saved the day with sharp photos of distant birds. Also, I think that quality drops slightly if I use Nikon's latest TC1.4X with the 500PF
This forum is full of happy users of the RF 100-500mm. Canon managed to make a lens that is about as good as the legendary 500PF, of similar weight but has all the advantages of a close-focussing zoom at the cost of 2/3rds of a stop.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm rather intrigued by, and quite tempted to pre-order, this lens. I own the RF 100-500 and have considered getting the 1.4 TC in order to have some more reach, but was put off by the 300mm minimum with attached extender.
Will look out for the usual first-day "reviews" which undoubtedly will appear on November 2... and will probably give in to the consequences of GAS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
@GrunRad,
Don't be put off by the ability to use a TC with the 100-500 from 300-500mm only. 90% of the time, those are the focal lengths you would be using the TC for anyway. You already have100-500 covered well, so it's not as big of a deal as one might think. I will say though that having to zoom the lens out to fit the TC is an extra step. Still not bad, all things considered. I thought it would bug me too, it hasn't. I do wish the 100-500 had a lock switch though.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Further updates on Camera Insider indicate it's both a "big white" and a DO lens, so this points to more hope that it's weather sealed. Or rather, I really hope it is, haha.
Anyone know the track record of The Camera Insider? They're making lots of 'this will be' statements, with no caveats or hedging. They state, "The Canon RF 10-18mm is also rumoured to be announced...," which is either a typo (carelessness) or indicates a lack of familiarity with the Canon system (the RF 10-20 was already announced, the RF-S 10-18 is rumored to be announced soon). That makes me question their overall reliability.

Seems they were right about the RF 10-20mm (with a post early on the day of the announcement), but they also predicted several lens announcements in September and none actually happened.

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Anyone know the track record of The Camera Insider? They're making lots of 'this will be' statements, with no caveats or hedging. They state, "The Canon RF 10-18mm is also rumoured to be announced...," which is either a typo (carelessness) or indicates a lack of familiarity with the Canon system (the RF 10-20 was already announced, the RF-S 10-18 is rumored to be announced soon). That makes me question their overall reliability.

Seems they were right about the RF 10-20mm (with a post early on the day of the announcement), but they also predicted several lens announcements in September and none actually happened.
They are ‘sloppy’ on details. An example was the story which compared the dxo sensor score of the Z8 with the R5 where they reported the R5 score as 85 versus the Z8 score of 98 (“Headline news”). The R5 dxo sensor score is 95 (End of story). Second example: the story of the loose ‘Hotshot’ :ROFLMAO: on the R5.

Jan Wegener had a video about the 200-800mm lens +/- 2 weeks before the camera insider.

I do not understand the fuss about the lens colour and absence or presence of a green ring. It won’t be a L lens: with a trade off on image quality, build quality (materials, weather sealing) versus price, resulting in a much lower price (if the rumored price is correct).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Better optics.

Or maybe there won’t be an option if this lens turns out to be vaporware.

I was never impressed with the 100-500 optics at that price point, esp when compared to the cheapo 150-600 third party SLR lenses. I think the huge difference will be build quality, weather sealing and focus motor. I am looking at this lens as a huge 55-250 stm lens, great optics for the price (when used with a hood) and that is about all it has. I don't see this lens being that close in price to the 100-500 either, $1600 is a better price point for it and still far enough away from the $2,600 L 100-500 so they don't compete.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was never impressed with the 100-500 optics at that price point, esp when compared to the cheapo 150-600 third party SLR lenses.
We have a very different impression of the 100-500L's optical performance, then. I find that it rivals the RF 100-300/2.8 + 2x TC, and it's 1/4 the price of that combination.

I don't see this lens being that close in price to the 100-500 either, $1600 is a better price point for it and still far enough away from the $2,600 L 100-500 so they don't compete.
Agreed, I previously mentioned that I thought the rumored price is high.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
If this would be the case, why would someone purchase the RF 100-500mm over this rumored lens?
The main appeal of the 100-500 is the L level image quality and features in a very compact size. This new lens will likely be twice as big and much heavier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0