Bad news: The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM has been pushed into 2023

I don't understand why they have not released it yet. Both Sony and Nikon have plenty of options around this focal length. Sony has an f1.2, f1.4 and an f1.8. Then they also have a 40mm f2.5. All very good. And these are just the native lenses. Then Sigma and Tamron has several offerings around this focal length as well.

Personally I don't care about f1.2. I want an f1.4 that is under 100mm long and weigh around 500 grams. Similar to the new Sony GM 35mm f1.4. Do you guys think we will ever see one like that on the RF mount?

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
I want an f1.4 that is under 100mm long and weigh around 500 grams. Similar to the new Sony GM 35mm f1.4. Do you guys think we will ever see one like that on the RF mount?

IMO it makes sense to wait for a 35mm f/1.2, because there's already a 50mm f/1.2.
But IMO it doesn't make much sense to wait for a 35mm f/1.4, because there aren't any f/1.4 RF lenses at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
I don't understand why they have not released it yet. Both Sony and Nikon have plenty of options around this focal length. Sony has an f1.2, f1.4 and an f1.8. Then they also have a 40mm f2.5. All very good. And these are just the native lenses. Then Sigma and Tamron has several offerings around this focal length as well.

Personally I don't care about f1.2. I want an f1.4 that is under 100mm long and weigh around 500 grams. Similar to the new Sony GM 35mm f1.4. Do you guys think we will ever see one like that on the RF mount?
Sony doesn’t have a 35mm f1.2 GM (hopefully they make one though), they have the f1.4 GM and a 35mm f1.8. Its Sigma that have the 35mm f1.2 and f1.4 Arts and then a 35mm f2 I series.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What is taking so long Canon? I've been traveling a lot with my EF 35L2, and it doesn't quite have the same sharpness of my RF lenses.
It does seem to be taking Canon a while. Worth noting that the 35L II is one of the most recent EF lenses (only 8 were released later) so it’s arguably less in need of an update.

Canon is roughly holding to their schedule of ~8 new RF lenses per year. They’re at four so far this year, so likely 3-4 more will come out. Seems the 200-500/4 will be one of them, and if there’s a fancy new TC alongside it that will be another (as Canon counts things). But maybe this is the year for an RF 35L.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago!
The funny bits of Snatch were better than Lock Stock, but Lock Stock was more even. I feel quite a few scenes or parts of scenes in Snatch to be kind of winceful: "Yeah Dad you Told Us" and most from the American cousin's mouth. Lock Stock is the only movie I've seen twice in theaters since the original Star Wars, I think. But I loved the Dramatis Personae in Snatch--about as good as any film footage I've ever seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is a lens I am interested in but will likely be priced out of, and would prefer a smaller, lighter, f/1.4 version instead. Does anyone have an appreciation for what the size of this lens might be? The EF 35/1.4 II is on the large side, and with the RF adapter it's even larger, so I have pretty much zero desire to use it as a lens that I find best for general walkaround and home use. Could this lens be smaller than the 50/1.2? I'm imagining something the size of the 14-35.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Does anyone have an appreciation for what the size of this lens might be? I'm imagining something the size of the 14-35.
The previous page has a few theories posted.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
The EF 35/1.4 II is on the large side, and with the RF adapter it's even larger, so I have pretty much zero desire to use it as a lens that I find best for general walkaround and home use. Could this lens be smaller than the 50/1.2? I'm imagining something the size of the 14-35.
This is the class of lens that can be far smaller on a mirrorless than on an SLR. Look at the size of the Leica 35/1.4 ASPH, for instance. I shot with that on my R for a couple years but finally sold it. And even though the ASPH was small, it replaced another that was far smaller yet. The Canon lens doesn't have to be longer than that, but will be fatter due to autofocus.

Upvote 0