A new RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is coming

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I still use my 70-200 2.8 II in my R5. Works perfectly. The adapter doesn’t concern me. I like the stubby RF version, it’s just not worth it for the smaller format. If a longer version II comes out I’d see less of a point to change. It might be a version III with a built in adapter. Canon will get me eventually. My 70-200 started getting wobbly. Then I learnt about all the screws under the rubber and once tightened it was perfect again. It’s a super lens.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I had the impression that English 'Champagne' was generally more expensive than the French original, and so a proper ascetic would probably save their pence by consuming the original. Until, obviously, climate change wrecks the Champagne region, and we all shift our attention to the south of England (or Tasmania in the case of Australians).
The champagne growing areas of England are being bought by the French growers like Taitinger already - see for example https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/31/fren...ng-land-in-the-uk-as-things-heat-up-17666553/. proper ascetic would not drink champagne. The English champagne does win some competitions.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
The advantages of the RF 70-200 2.8 has diminished some after the Sony 70-200 ii with an internal focusing design came out with slightly lower weight than the Canon RF (1045g vs 1070g) (EF III was 1480g by the way).

Since we know it could be done now on weight parity, a worthy successor may have the following: even more heft reduction via lightweight composites and octagonally cut gmo or pmo lenses (ala rf 16mm style, assuming image quality will remain high enough) with target weight of 850g, and able to take teleconverters.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I had the impression that English 'Champagne' was generally more expensive than the French original, and so a proper ascetic would probably save their pence by consuming the original. Until, obviously, climate change wrecks the Champagne region, and we all shift our attention to the south of England (or Tasmania in the case of Australians).
Why wait?
https://www.skynews.com.au/lifestyl...s/news-story/093ff2bd13e8c5a2f764ee3f67bddec4
It will be interesting to see what happens in this year's awards :)

Upvote 0
Never really cared about the having the smallest 70-200 possible. Never really cared about having the lightest 70-200 possible. But I absolutely hated not having the flexibility of using a TC with the lens. My hope is that they go back to the conventional form factor, allowing TCs again.

In terms of Canon deciding to replace the lens so quickly, I have to believe it was based on sales. That would be the most obvious reason to rework a relatively good performing lens. That said, I'm sure the sales were fine, but I'd bet they couldn't be at the expected level if it's being replaced after 4 years. Note, they been averaging 8-10 years between 70-200 releases (with only the non-IS version being replaced after 6 years).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Interesting! I actually went for the RF 135mm over the 70-200, largely based on the fact that the RF 70-200 is telescopic and my OCD could never live with the extra dust that sucks in. I genuinely based my decision knowing on how I would handle it, which is ridiculous, but I gotta do what I gotta do to keep myself "sane". If it was non-telescopic, I might have gotten that one instead. So very weird and fascinating decision from Canon (if it's true), but I'm not against it!

Upvote 0
Why wait?
https://www.skynews.com.au/lifestyl...s/news-story/093ff2bd13e8c5a2f764ee3f67bddec4
It will be interesting to see what happens in this year's awards :)
This is way off topic of course, but as a general rule, awards in the world of wine are best taken with a pile of salt, as they are mostly a marketing tool. Entries are not taken from an open field, producers pay to be there, and many others don't bother. It's beneath the attention of the highest profile wineries - Krug has little to gain, they can already essentially charge whatever they like and never produce enough to meet demand. Although the judgments are as objective as possible (which is to say, somewhat), the top trophy wines in a given competition are absolutely not necessarily the best in their category overall, just (maybe) the best of those that were entered.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe Canon is considering revising the 70-200 mm f2.8 so it is compatible with the rumored 1.4x/2.0x switchable TC?

Such a scenario makes some sense because then there would be three lenses that are compatible: 70-200 mm f2.8, 100-300 mm f2.8 and a 200-500 mm f4.
What makes you think the 400/2.8, 600/4, 800/5.6, and 1200/8 would not be compatible? Or the 100-400, 600/11, or 800/11?

Upvote 0