There will be “a lot” of new RF mount lenses from Canon between now and March 2024

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has been a lot of discussion about Canon’s RF lineup and certain areas that are in dire need of being addressed. We have been talking to a few people about what Canon has in store for lens announcements over the next 6 months, and we have been told more than once to expect “a

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Sep 20, 2020
I've been using the EF180L and Sigma 150 a lot recently and those make me want an RF long macro with fast(er) AF. I'm not looking forward to the €2000+ price tag on that.
Sigma could not have sold an awful lot of those but Canon has had a tendency of on upping there EF lenses.
I would accept f/2.8, a longer focal length, or higher magnification.
I expect it to be higher magnification.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sigma could not have sold an awful lot of those but Canon has had a tendency of on upping there EF lenses.
I'm really liking the 1.4:1 on my RF100L, I haven't needed to swap to the MP-E as often since replacing the EF100L with the RF100L.

I'm not opposed to getting a larger aperture, but I would like the weight to decrease or stay the same compared to the 180L.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yes, a few years back the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro was in nearly every workshop photographer's bag. A great medium between the 100mm and 180mm macro options. Then the EF 100mm L Is Macro was launched and it was the first macro lens with a usable image stabiliser and an AF system that seems to actually work close up. The AF in both the Canon EF 180mm macro and Sigma variant is pretty lame and pointless. Both lenses are effectively manual focus only (on a tripod). The Canon has an exceptional manual focus on the AF ring. It's really precise and very accurate. The sigma (180mm) is gritty, notchy and strangely hard to get the same level of accuracy. What would be awesome, is a Canon 180mm macro that can be used hand held, so a major AF and IS upgrade. However...it's NOT going to be cheap!
Currently, if you want to photograph really small things and small apertures with a disconnected and melted background...the EF 180mm F3.5 L macro is the way to go. An RF version could be a game changer in terms of speed and hand-hold ability.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
If previous rumors and the tags on the post are correct, we‘ll get:
  • 24 mm f 1.4 L
  • 35 mm f 1.4 L
  • a high end RF-S zoom
  • 200-500 mm f 4 L zoomlens
Canon stated that they like to surprise us, so I hope they surprise us with an RF 180 mm L or RF 200 mm L macrolens, and have read (and fullfilled) my wishlist ;).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, a few years back the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro was in nearly every workshop photographer's bag. A great medium between the 100mm and 180mm macro options. Then the EF 100mm L Is Macro was launched and it was the first macro lens with a usable image stabiliser and an AF system that seems to actually work close up. The AF in both the Canon EF 180mm macro and Sigma variant is pretty lame and pointless. Both lenses are effectively manual focus only (on a tripod). The Canon has an exceptional manual focus on the AF ring. It's really precise and very accurate. The sigma (180mm) is gritty, notchy and strangely hard to get the same level of accuracy. What would be awesome, is a Canon 180mm macro that can be used hand held, so a major AF and IS upgrade. However...it's NOT going to be cheap!
Currently, if you want to photograph really small things and small apertures with a disconnected and melted background...the EF 180mm F3.5 L macro is the way to go. An RF version could be a game changer in terms of speed and hand-hold ability.
What magnification ratios do you tend to work at?

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
This one would surprise me. I would bet on a slow UWA zoom, e.g. a mount-changed EF-M 11-22mm.
I’m quoting a reliable source ;) (re-reading, I should have typed ‘higher end’ instead of ‘high end’): “We are expected 2-3 lenses to be announced in Q4 of 2023, but we don't want to guess which ones are coming. We know what a lot of you want to see in L series lenses, but we also expect at least 1 higher end RF-S lens to be announced before the year is out.”

from : https://www.canonrumors.com/is-another-f-2-zoom-coming-from-canon-cr2/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this is correct then I would expect to see the EF catalogue either severely reduced or only keeping remaining stock in-country. If you want a EF lens, look for specials and take advantage of it while you can. The push for "full" RF range is on but there will still be gaps if the current EF lenses are all discontinued!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If this is correct then I would expect to see the EF catalogue either severely reduced or only keeping remaining stock in-country. If you want a EF lens, look for specials and take advantage of it while you can. The push for "full" RF range is on but there will still be gaps if the current EF lenses are all discontinued!

Let me just say that, with all the EF lens being around for so many years, buying now a brand new EF lens wouldn't be a great purchase from a cost/benefits point of view...on the used market you find them for 50% to 80% less, and there would be even more sold by people when RF gaps will be closed.

Example (it's not a RF gap, but I can compare as I acquired it exactly 12 months ago), buying an EF 24-70 f2.8 II today is 2.140€ price list on canon website, and between 1.500€ and 1800€ buying from any reputable retail shop.

I paid for it 610€ shipped (in summer you make super good deals on open auctions on eBay!)...so I would not fear reduction of catalogues, out of stock etc, EF lenses will be available for years, or decades, pretty everywhere on used market. Of course they would not get serviced after a certain period (in Europe, if I recall correctly, spare parts must be available at least up to 10 years after discontinuing a product), but if they discontinue the 24-70 today, the service will stop at the same time, regardless if it was bought used or new.
So I wouldn't personally worry about EF discontinuation, I would just consider all EF's as entirely discontinued starting from the day of the last lens was presented, which is 2018 according to Camera Museum.

...new lenses?! C'mon, let's get me my RF 50 f1.4 and finally make me happy ahah! :love::devilish: (...sadly, having just sold the 50 Art for the 40 Art, if they really present it, which I'm sure will NOT happen, I'm not going to buy it...and so they probably will really present it, just to slap me in the face!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This could be good news provided they are able to produce product and it is somewhat affordable.
The major delays seem to disproportionately affect the really high-end products (only the 100-300/2.8 and 400/2.8 are currently on the official delay list). The 28/2.8 was on the list before it came out, but it ended up shipping early and being in stock at major retailers immediately. Having said that, lenses like the 135/1.8 are still hard to get in some geographies.

The usual advice applies – if you think there's a chance you'll want the lens and getting it as soon as possible is important to you, pre-order the lens as soon as possible after it's announced. You'll have several weeks to change your mind and cancel the preorder, but if you don't preorder early and do want the lens, you may have to wait several months to get it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The major delays seem to disproportionately affect the really high-end products (only the 100-300/2.8 and 400/2.8 are currently on the official delay list). The 28/2.8 was on the list before it came out, but it ended up shipping early and being in stock at major retailers immediately. Having said that, lenses like the 135/1.8 are still hard to get in some geographies.

The usual advice applies – if you think there's a chance you'll want the lens and getting it as soon as possible is important to you, pre-order the lens as soon as possible after it's announced. You'll have several weeks to change your mind and cancel the preorder, but if you don't preorder early and do want the lens, you may have to wait several months to get it.
The RF28mm launch was weird, I preordered it immediately at the #2 photo store in .nl and missed out on the first batch. But before they started shipping the first batch the #4 store had it in stock, next day delivery. So I had it a few days before we left, yay!

Upvote 0