SIGMA RF mount lens information finally coming in February 2024? [CR1]

Sell your Canon body and buy a second hand Sony body
But I like Canon bodies, not Sony's :)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion; I've already considered buying a second hand A7II/III in place of the backup RP to do some test and see how I feel with a different system, adapting my EF lenses, and if I'd find myself at ease, then selling R6 for a A7III/IV and slowly starting to switch one lens at a time from EF to E-mount in the next 2/3 years.

It's a way I'm not ready to walk down just yet, but certainly is an option for the future if changes I would like to happen won't; but as today I still support Canon and happy to use what I have. But my support doesn't mean blind approval and appreciation (not referring to you; it's a general discussion) for any Canon move and policy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The professional requirement is an unfortunate decision in my opinion, but I think if you made a special request, they would probably allow you to have membership without fulfilling the requirement - at least in a situation like yours. if you want to try, it wouldn't be more of a waste of time than explaining equivalence for the 100th time.
To be honest, I don't really need a CPS membership even if they'd waive the requirement. The clean and checks aren't very useful, as I can clean a sensor and the external surfaces of lenses just fine myself. The repair discount, well I've had two cameras and zero lenses fail on me, one was an EOS M that I'm not sure would have received the discount (and buying an M2 was only $20 more than the repair anyway), the other was a 1D X with a dead main PCB, and that repair was only ~$200. So keeping up a CPS membership for a few years would not be cost effective.

I suppose the equipment trial loan might be useful, but I tend to research carefully and then just buy what I want. I haven't bought used gear in a long time, but that's what I used to do when I wasn't sure if I really wanted something. My predictions were very good, I bought 8-10 used lenses over time, and only kept one of them (the MP-E 65, which is a massively fun lens for which I paid $500 to a lawyer who used it for just one project, leaving it in pristine condition). The other ones I sold (lenses like the 70-300 DO, 28-300L, 300/4L, etc.), and overall I ended up with a slight gain on the transactions, and I used the lenses for a few months up to a couple of years).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
To be honest, I don't really need a CPS membership even if they'd waive the requirement. The clean and checks aren't very useful, as I can clean a sensor and the external surfaces of lenses just fine myself. The repair discount, well I've had two cameras and zero lenses fail on me, one was an EOS M that I'm not sure would have received the discount (and buying an M2 was only $20 more than the repair anyway), the other was a 1D X with a dead main PCB, and that repair was only ~$200. So keeping up a CPS membership for a few years would not be cost effective.

I suppose the equipment trial loan might be useful, but I tend to research carefully and then just buy what I want. I haven't bought used gear in a long time, but that's what I used to do when I wasn't sure if I really wanted something. My predictions were very good, I bought 8-10 used lenses over time, and only kept one of them (the MP-E 65, which is a massively fun lens for which I paid $500 to a lawyer who used it for just one project, leaving it in pristine condition). The other ones I sold (lenses like the 70-300 DO, 28-300L, 300/4L, etc.), and overall I ended up with a slight gain on the transactions, and I used the lenses for a few months up to a couple of years).
For me the benefit is the promise of quick repairs, but like you, I haven't had any lenses fail. I'm quite heavy handed so having them do the cleaning is helpful but even though I have been in dusty and smoky environments, I don't notice any problems for my cameras. So every year, I debate with myself about renewing or not.

I haven't tried the MP-E 65, but I'm sure it is fun. The only third party lens I've felt seriously interested the Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro. It's also $500, but only 1x. The IQ seems good from looking at what someone (sorry I forgot who) posted in the mushroom thread. The advantages to those ef lenses for me are I still shoot film, but I am expecting the RF 14mm f1.4L to be something I will want to preorder as soon as it's announced and I'm trying to control me GAS.

I often noticed used lens prices can vary by around 30% with starting with ebay<keh/mpb<B&H/Adorama<smaller stores. So, I can see how it possible to get a bit extra back if you price high expecting to haggle.

Upvote 0
Actually, if you REALLY want MY personal opinion, Canon EF glass is inferior compared to any comparable Sigma Art glass, Sigma is sharper and AF works better (yes, it does in my experience), only with uber expensive RF glass Canon took back the lead, or at least the equality; you want me to say that?
Ok I said it. But that brings just flames, and I'm not here to troll or open flames of any kind. So I just say "it's good enough that I don't feel difference" to avoid the mayhem from people unable to accept other's opinions.
I dunno how many EF L lenses you tried. Sigma Art EF primes might beat Canon's equivalent depending on your copies' quality. But zooms are definitely not close to Canon's.
I could be wrong but a Sony body and E mount 3rd party lenses does sound like a solution for all your concerns. Sell your Canon body and buy a second hand Sony body. Use a metabones EF-E mount adapter for your existing lenses or sell them and buy second hand E mount options.
Metabones adapter is not that great imho. For that price, it's not better than Viltrox or Sigma MC-11. And with Walrus loves Sigma. MC-11 is the best option.
But I like Canon bodies, not Sony's :)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion; I've already considered buying a second hand A7II/III in place of the backup RP to do some test and see how I feel with a different system, adapting my EF lenses, and if I'd find myself at ease, then selling R6 for a A7III/IV and slowly starting to switch one lens at a time from EF to E-mount in the next 2/3 years.

It's a way I'm not ready to walk down just yet, but certainly is an option for the future if changes I would like to happen won't; but as today I still support Canon and happy to use what I have. But my support doesn't mean blind approval and appreciation (not referring to you; it's a general discussion) for any Canon move and policy.
No...a7 2nd/3rd gen cameras still sucked with their AF and handling. If you want to utilize your Sigma EFs with Sony. Grab a7Cr/a7C2/a7R5 with the MC-11.

In late 2023, it's not worth recommending a7iv as Sony won't upgrade a7iv's software to a7C2's level.

My experience is RP to a7ii is a huge step back; to a7r2 is a step back except for lots of raw MP for post-processing.

If I did not guess you wrong. AF tracking isn't your biggest need. Panasonic S1R+Sigma MC-21 or even Nikon Z7/Z7ii/Z8 with techart/altson/(3rd party EF-Z adapter) is worth a look over Sony.

Upvote 0
No...a7 2nd/3rd gen cameras still sucked with their AF and handling. If you want to utilize your Sigma EFs with Sony. Grab a7Cr/a7C2/a7R5 with the MC-11.

In late 2023, it's not worth recommending a7iv as Sony won't upgrade a7iv's software to a7C2's level.

My experience is RP to a7ii is a huge step back; to a7r2 is a step back except for lots of raw MP for post-processing.

If I did not guess you wrong. AF tracking isn't your biggest need. Panasonic S1R+Sigma MC-21 or even Nikon Z7/Z7ii/Z8 with techart/altson/(3rd party EF-Z adapter) is worth a look over Sony.
Tnx for all suggestions :) but as I said, for now I'm still fine with Canon (and would love to be fine for the foreseeable future), and even in the event of a switch, if I start with the backup body, what I buy must be purchased with RP selling money, so 600/700€, and none of your suggestions is anywhere that cheap, but 4 to 10 times more expensive!

Then, the A7C body shape is not for me, there's no viewfinder, and all the suggestions are high mpx count, I don't need (and I don't want) anything more then 20/24mpx, 30mpx tops, because I don't crop and my customers don't require higher res pics then that, so I need small files (already shooting C-Raw), so I have the minimum amount of long term storage space needed. From an individual corporate headshot session I store 5 to 10 pics, from a portrait/editorial session I may store 20 or 30 pics, that's entirely manageable, but from a wedding I have to store long term (I guarantee min 10yrs storage per contract; and of course still keep them after, I don't delete my archive) anything between 200 and 400 pics, so the smaller the better.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Now I don\'t have to judge Sigma anymore because of there terrible deviation between copies of the same lens. Without DSLR Phase Detect AF these days I might buy one again.
If phase detect was the source of variation for you then it shouldn't have made any difference previously with DSLR. With DSLR, you have to do microadjustment of AF for Canon lenses as well as for third party lenses, as all have variation. Sigma lenses allowed you to do to AFMA with their lens dock as well as in camera, and was better that way. Mirrorless also uses phase detect, so If the copy variation is for features other than phase detect AF, it won't be any better for mirrorless than for DSLR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I often noticed used lens prices can vary by around 30% with starting with ebay<keh/mpb<B&H/Adorama<smaller stores. So, I can see how it possible to get a bit extra back if you price high expecting to haggle.
I bought/sold only on Craigslist. For the last few years, I’ve had no interest in buying used and I switched to selling to MPB for the reduced hassle.

Upvote 0
Tnx for all suggestions :) but as I said, for now I'm still fine with Canon (and would love to be fine for the foreseeable future), and even in the event of a switch, if I start with the backup body, what I buy must be purchased with RP selling money, so 600/700€, and none of your suggestions is anywhere that cheap, but 4 to 10 times more expensive!

Then, the A7C body shape is not for me, there's no viewfinder, and all the suggestions are high mpx count, I don't need (and I don't want) anything more then 20/24mpx, 30mpx tops, because I don't crop and my customers don't require higher res pics then that, so I need small files (already shooting C-Raw), so I have the minimum amount of long term storage space needed. From an individual corporate headshot session I store 5 to 10 pics, from a portrait/editorial session I may store 20 or 30 pics, that's entirely manageable, but from a wedding I have to store long term (I guarantee min 10yrs storage per contract; and of course still keep them after, I don't delete my archive) anything between 200 and 400 pics, so the smaller the better.
Ah....since you mentioned budget concerns. I advise holding onto your current gear and jumping to R8 when discounting / used R6.

Upvote 0
I’ve never been convinced that Sigma are capable of designing a lighter or smaller lens than the OEM brands. If you compare Sigma’s weight for their 105mm f1.4 to Nikon, it’s like night and day. The Nikon is a small and light sub 1kg lens. Literally, half way between their 85mm & 135mm offerings. The sigma is over 1.6kg and its size is only a little bit smaller than the Canon 200mm f2.0.
I’m sure it’s a great optic, but it’s massively heavy and over sized for what it is. This shouts of under-engineering. A well engineered lens is also a light lens for its class. I want a lens that is light as well as rugged.
The Sigma 105mm is designed with astrophotography as a main focus along with portraiture making sure it corrects for coma and astigmatism wide open hence the weight, it also arguably has better IQ than the Nikon version (sharper and IIRC Cameralabs did a comparison showing it had smoother transition from in to out of focus) but sure lets throw the words under-engineered around because it's a bit heavier.
I guess the Sigma 105/f1,4 hasn't been produced in masses.
Yet, on MPB continental Europe alone, you'll find 17 (!) used ones for sale. Guess why (dislocated shoulders, crushed tripods?).
I would say do you even lift bro (I actually don't very much) but if 1.6kg is dislocating your shoulder and crushing tripods I think you've got bigger problems.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
obviously, it was a humorous exaggeration. However, I wonder if walrus would click like if the same conversation was about a hypothetical Canon 100mm f/1.4 weighing 1.5kg...
That is exactly what I've been thinking! He would have mentioned how lighter and more usable TamSigs would be, optically better anyway. Some people's reactions are just too predictible! :love:
What I'm afraid of, is that the other poster could have thought I was being serious. I'll give him the benefit of positive doubt.

Upvote 0
obviously, it was a humorous exaggeration. However, I wonder if walrus would click like if the same conversation was about a hypothetical Canon 100mm f/1.4 weighing 1.5kg...
That is exactly what I've been thinking! He would have mentioned how lighter and more usable TamSigs would be, optically better anyway. Some people's reactions are just too predictible! :love:
What I'm afraid of, is that the other poster could have thought I was being serious. I'll give him the benefit of positive doubt.
I'll start ending some of my posts with /s.

/s

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
Do you contact Canon directly or through their forums? Or just go onto forums like this one with no relationship whatsoever to Canon?
Are your criticisms realistic understanding that companies like Canon do lots of market research, or are you just giving your own personal wish list?
All 3 fit in the one lens hood? I'm planning to get the 100-400 within the next year, which hood did you buy?

^^This.

And IMO, the latter add little value to the forums, if any.
Fair but it's a way for a person with complaints to get feedback on how relevant these are with other users or potentially being presented with solutions to overcome the hurdles.

What I personally find much less valuable: if "every" (hyperbole) complaint and remark is met with apologies by other consumers on behalf of the OEM.

I think my favorite example from Micro Four Thirds forums are the apologists that get mad when people lamented that the G100 or OM5 were released with micro USB ports in the recent past or even this year, respectively.

I know that many long-term CR and Canon users will disagree, but hence I say let's agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
All 3 fit in the one lens hood? I'm planning to get the 100-400 within the next year, which hood did you buy?

Fair but it's a way for a person with complaints to get feedback on how relevant these are with other users or potentially being presented with solutions to overcome the hurdles.

What I personally find much less valuable: if "every" (hyperbole) complaint and remark is met with apologies by other consumers on behalf of the OEM.

I think my favorite example from Micro Four Thirds forums are the apologists that get mad when people lamented that the G100 or OM5 were released with micro USB ports in the recent past or even this year, respectively.

I know that many long-term CR and Canon users will disagree, but hence I say let's agree to disagree.
IMG_4568.jpeg
I remembered wrong, 2 of the lenses fit inside, not all three.

I went with the Caruba hood, the JJC version wasn’t in stock anywhere in this country.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021

While what you say about the positive side of responses to complaints is true, I think you must have witnessed in practice there are people who never want to accept the benefit of responses that don't support whatever was said before.

What were the reasons supporting about microUSB? I can't think of anything reasonable

You have a good attitude

Upvote 0