SIGMA RF mount lens information finally coming in February 2024? [CR1]

I took a peak and R5 is now listed. I was surprised the list of lenses is not long
?? I used my employer's business number at that link and 1 x 5D body and 3 or more lenses and it comes back with "You do not qualify for membership"!
Have I missed something?
Revising to adding that I owned a 1D/R3 body does mean that I qualify for Gold level! Just 1 x 1D/R3 and no 5D = Silver level membership.
A high bar for additional service in Australia but we do have a general 5 year local warranty which is something for everyone (even those that buy second hand).

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
?? I used my employer's business number at that link and 1 x 5D body and 3 or more lenses and it comes back with "You do not qualify for membership"!
Have I missed something?
Revising to adding that I owned a 1D/R3 body does mean that I qualify for Gold level! Just 1 x 1D/R3 and no 5D = Silver level membership.
A high bar for additional service in Australia but we do have a general 5 year local warranty which is something for everyone (even those that buy second hand).
click where is says "view eligible products" in red text.
I didn't have an occasion to use my CPS membership, but I pay for the CanonCare extended warranty for anything over $2000, so at least for me, the 5 years would outweigh the more strict requirements.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have spent a lot more on Canon stuff than some pros locally but CPS Australia only available for businesses with only 1D/R3/5D or cinema bodies not even R5. The program significantly varies by country
It does, both in terms of qualification and benefits.

In the US, it’s based on points for different gear. Most lenses and bodies have at least some points, e.g. a 24-105/4 is 4 points, a 24-70/2.8 is 8 points, even the RF-S 18-45 gets you 2 points. High end lenses like the 600/4 and 100-300/2.8 are 16 points. The 1D X II/III, R3 and R5 are 12 points.

There are thresholds of 10/20/50 points for silver/gold/platinum membership. So an R5 and 24-70/2.8 plus $100 gets you a gold membership.

Personally, I have over three times the points needed for platinum level, but the first qualification for CPS is actually being a professional image maker, either self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business…and I’m not.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Its mix of Sony limiting 3rd party lenses to a max of 15fps even if they have linear motors that handle more (Sigma’s recent releases) and some lenses having older style AF motors that aren’t able to shoot very fast in terms of frame rates full stop.

Most of Sony’s bodies actually can only shoot up to 10fps (something they really need to improve)so the limitation only applies to the A9s and A1.
It's all down to software limitations.....Canon EF-RF adapter can keep the ancient EF 28-80 kit lens working on the latest camera. Meanwhile the Sony E 16mm f2.8(APS-C lens) will suffer focus pulsing like asthma on my a1 if I put it to AF-C.....
What do AF motors have to do with shutter fps? I can get 40fps when using the MP-E65mm on my R8 and that lens has no AF motors at all. I do know that Canon limits fps on lenses with slow aperture motors (e.g. EF180L), but that actually makes some sense.
No AF motor is actually easier. There's no need to coordinate the AF system with the lens's AF motor.
I could be wrong but maybe certain AF motors can’t handle above a certain number of AF calculations from the body. Not all Sony lenses are capable of shooting 20fps either so it isn’t just 3rd parties that have limitations.

Its one thing to get a high frame rate but quite another to get a high frame rate with images that are in focus. Why the stacked sensor bodies and higher end lenses cost more.
20fps is possible when I used my EF 20-35L(Arc form motor, non-USM) with my R6. I believe it's mostly down to the AF system on the body. It's either Sony cripple the AF system with older lenses, or there's a detector that blocks all non-Sony lens to get 15+fps.

I think Canon should take every tenth lens from the 16/24/28/35/50/85 production line, rebadge it, and sell as a separate RF-S one...
Re-packaging actually cost more, which is against Canon's way of cost saving
I’ve seen a lot of comments on the interwebs saying something like “I refuse to use an FF lens on my RF-S body, they are too big/heavy/expensive, Canon sucks.” When pointed at the 16/28/50 and 24/35, they just double down on the ‘Those are too big, a crop version would’ve been smaller/lighter/cheaper’ mantra.

I don’t have the 24 and 35, but the 16/28/50 have been great and they fit into the lens hood (which wasn’t included, of course) of the RF100-400, if you want a small vacation package :)
Those mo*ons will not accept the silver rings while they have no issues with E-mount 3rd parties 50mm f1.8 primes on APS-C bodies. Double standards at its finest.
Anecdotally, I know local pro photographers (portraits/events) who use a 5DIII or D800, which meet their needs just fine. Needs. Whereas affluent amateurs have wants and disposable income. As a group of individuals, those folks will never have an impactful direct line of communication with Canon other than aggregate buying decisions.
I remember the photographer shooting for my workplace anniversary dinner was just using EOS R with RF24-105L f4, RF 16mm and RF 50mm. It's not fancy but it works well. We have come so far that any modern gear is capable of professional/paid jobs. It's all down to the user after all. And the internet seems to forget this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
click where is says "view eligible products" in red text.
I didn't have an occasion to use my CPS membership, but I pay for the CanonCare extended warranty for anything over $2000, so at least for me, the 5 years would outweigh the more strict requirements.
found it! Very weird.... the 1D listed for eligibility are old 1D bodies and are not supported which is to be expected. Why the RF24-105/4 would be eligible and supported but the RF24-70/2.8 isn't listed is strange. A dog's breakfast overall.

Upvote 0

In the US, it’s based on points for different gear. Most lenses and bodies have at least some points, e.g. a 24-105/4 is 4 points, a 24-70/2.8 is 8 points, even the RF-S 18-45 gets you 2 points. High end lenses like the 600/4 and 100-300/2.8 are 16 points. The 1D X II/III, R3 and R5 are 12 points.

There are thresholds of 10/20/50 points for silver/gold/platinum membership. So an R5 and 24-70/2.8 plus $100 gets you a gold membership.

Personally, I have over three times the points needed for platinum level, but the first qualification for CPS is actually being a professional image maker, either self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business…and I’m not.
very different per region.
Europe is for pros and is a paid service but similarly using a points system
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/canon-professional-services/

Malaysia/Singapore has silver level for non-pros.
https://cps.asia.canon/malaysia
https://cps.asia.canon/singapore

Upvote 0
I remember the photographer shooting for my workplace anniversary dinner was just using EOS R with RF24-105L f4, RF 16mm and RF 50mm. It's not fancy but it works well. We have come so far that any modern gear is capable of professional/paid jobs. It's all down to the user after all. And the internet seems to forget this.
I always think back to the cruise ship photography model where they have reasonable lighting for portraits with backdrops but the cheapest camera/lenses. They know how to maximise ROI there to combat the phone camera competition!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
found it! Very weird.... the 1D listed for eligibility are old 1D bodies and are not supported which is to be expected. Why the RF24-105/4 would be eligible and supported but the RF24-70/2.8 isn't listed is strange. A dog's breakfast overall.
I'm wondering whether you called, would they accept different lenses or not.

Upvote 0
Sigma would be happy to make more lenses for Z mount or RF mount, but they have stated they require the cooperation of the mount owner, like they get from Sony.

Nikon has started to play ball and allow a few Z mount lenses from Sigma. It will be interesting to see how Canon approaches this and which lenses they allow and don't allow. I wouldn't expect there to be anything that competes too closely with what Canon themselves sell. So probably no Sigma DG DN primes, and things like the new 70-200/2.8 zoom are doubtful.

Upvote 0
Most definitely.
It should not be a monopod lens.
Alternatively, they could turn it into a zoom.
Maybe 100-200 f/2 or something like that.
If the optical design could be expanded to include 85mm...then an 85-200mm f2.0 optic would literally become the new gold standard portrait lens. you would not need any other lens. 85/100/135/150/200...all at f2.0!

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Sigma would be happy to make more lenses for Z mount or RF mount, but they have stated they require the cooperation of the mount owner, like they get from Sony.

Nikon has started to play ball and allow a few Z mount lenses from Sigma. It will be interesting to see how Canon approaches this and which lenses they allow and don't allow. I wouldn't expect there to be anything that competes too closely with what Canon themselves sell. So probably no Sigma DG DN primes, and things like the new 70-200/2.8 zoom are doubtful.
I agree, I don’t see either allowing the same situation from their DSLR platforms to occur on mirrorless. Only certain lenses will be permitted on a case by case basis and it won’t be like on E mount where manufacturers have a lot of leeway to make the lenses they want.

On a separate but related note Samyang joined the L Mount alliance not so long ago, I speculate but they probably realised they weren’t going to be allowed to make RF glass after the previous situation and probably the same on Z. Unfortunately for them L mount is a very small part of the market.

Upvote 0
Just from a couple of days ago:
let's face it, the last stuff from Sigma works on DSLR as good as any other Canon lens;
Let me just say "it's good enough to not feeling any limitation or difference whatsoever".
It's the same thing David :) "it's so good I don't feel difference or limitation" means "it's as good as Canon" :) I didn't retract anything, be sure about that.

Actually, if you REALLY want MY personal opinion, Canon EF glass is inferior compared to any comparable Sigma Art glass, Sigma is sharper and AF works better (yes, it does in my experience), only with uber expensive RF glass Canon took back the lead, or at least the equality; you want me to say that?
Ok I said it. But that brings just flames, and I'm not here to troll or open flames of any kind. So I just say "it's good enough that I don't feel difference" to avoid the mayhem from people unable to accept other's opinions.

So you know what? I'll start NOT expressing my own view and experience, so no flame or trolling is on the table anymore; and I'm sure no one will feel the loss of my clouded view, so everyone will be happy. What a wonderful atmosphere in here...

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021

The professional requirement is an unfortunate decision in my opinion, but I think if you made a special request, they would probably allow you to have membership without fulfilling the requirement - at least in a situation like yours. if you want to try, it wouldn't be more of a waste of time than explaining equivalence for the 100th time.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Good question...and the answer is:

Yes. Still, him saying, "Never had to retract or modify anything, believe me," can be true if he blatantly lies but never acknowledges it. But I certainly would not recommend anyone follow his advice about believing him... :rolleyes:
Quite peculiar.
Somebody posting long tirades about how dissatisfied he is with a Canon, without ever buying from them, apart from used lenses or SigTams via Ebay. And never getting tired of continuously praising SigTam or making statements about how wrong Canon's strategy is. And often contradicting himself...
Sure, he doesn't criticize the EOS bodies.But I still wonder why he doesn't jump ship instead of repeating forever his lamentations...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
very different per region.
Europe is for pros and is a paid service but similarly using a points system
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/canon-professional-services/

Malaysia/Singapore has silver level for non-pros.
https://cps.asia.canon/malaysia
https://cps.asia.canon/singapore
I've been a CPS platinum member for a few years, but never actually needed it.
When European CPS wanted me to pay for membership, I decided to quit.
Even in case a body or a lens stopped working, I'd have more than enough backup gear. And, since Canons are usually very reliable...
Also the reason why I won't extend my Subaru's warranty, just a waste of money (I hope so, at least! ;)).

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've been a CPS platinum member for a few years, but never actually needed it.
When European CPS wanted me to pay for membership, I decided to quit.
Even in case a body or a lens stopped working, I'd have more than enough backup gear. And, since Canons are usually very reliable...
Also the reason why I won't extend my Subaru's warranty, just a waste of money (I hope so, at least! ;)).
Ditto - and extended paid for warranties are usually a rip off.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Ditto - and extended paid for warranties are usually a rip off.
I usually base my "extended paid warranty" decision on what occurred during the "free warranty " period. No troubles with a car or any other equipment means no extension. Additional advantage: I can maintain my car myself...

Upvote 0
It's the same thing David :) "it's so good I don't feel difference or limitation" means "it's as good as Canon" :) I didn't retract anything, be sure about that.

Actually, if you REALLY want MY personal opinion, Canon EF glass is inferior compared to any comparable Sigma Art glass, Sigma is sharper and AF works better (yes, it does in my experience), only with uber expensive RF glass Canon took back the lead, or at least the equality; you want me to say that?
Ok I said it. But that brings just flames, and I'm not here to troll or open flames of any kind. So I just say "it's good enough that I don't feel difference" to avoid the mayhem from people unable to accept other's opinions.

So you know what? I'll start NOT expressing my own view and experience, so no flame or trolling is on the table anymore; and I'm sure no one will feel the loss of my clouded view, so everyone will be happy. What a wonderful atmosphere in here...
Mate, no skin off my back if you are here or not, post or not. I've explained why you get feedback to your comments. If you are getting a lot of feedback from different people then maybe you are the problem...
If you don't like comments from certain forum members then you can block them on the platform.

I just don't get why you stay with Canon. Canon doesn't get your money directly with second hand purchases and 3rd party lenses which are clearly - to you - better than native. Yet you need Canon to change so that you continue to buy from 3rd parties with no money going to Canon.

I could be wrong but a Sony body and E mount 3rd party lenses does sound like a solution for all your concerns. Sell your Canon body and buy a second hand Sony body. Use a metabones EF-E mount adapter for your existing lenses or sell them and buy second hand E mount options.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0