There are three new lenses coming on November 2, 2023 from Canon

Would be funny if Canon finally got the (U)WA/1.x L lenses at the start
More than funny... instant pre-order from me. Astro-landscape lenses is a barren land for Canon. If only Sigma would release a EF manual AF version of their new E mount 14/1.4 or Canon release a 20/1.8 like Sony/Nikon has or an upgraded Sigma 20/1.4 to reduce coma.

Personally, I'd be happy with another pancake. But that would be astounding without any rumor about it :p
CR has had lenses announced that weren't on the roadmap. The latest is today with the Canon RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM. The 200-800mm wasn't on the list before Sony Alpha Rumours broke the news. The RF5.2/2.8L was another surprise.
This isn't a criticism of CR but best to be upfront and realistic about rumours. Fact check the roadmap with date added to the roadmap and then announcement date.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Anybody meaning any lens manufacturer, of course ;) it has been done (quality was bad, if you saw the video I posted), and I don't think it could be so much complicate then doing the 35-150 f2-2.8 that both Tamron and Samyang already do for E-mount.
Just a guess, but I think to do it with Image quality to match a good 24-70mm f/2.8 and the first part of a 70-200mm f/2.8 might add enough weight and cost to make many keep what they already have.

Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
"break the internet"?

So the list of unannounced lenses on the roadmap are:
Canon RF-S 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM => repackage of EF-M = won't break the internet
Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L => with AF would be unique and ultra wide and expensive. Aspirational lens but can't see it breaking the internet
Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L => as above but probably cheaper and less unique as the focal length already exists. Can't see it breaking the internet
Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM => Sony has one already... can't see it breaking the internet
Canon RF 28mm f/1.4L USM => Sigma has one, Nikon has a AF-S and Sony a f2. Can't see it breaking the internet
Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM => lots waiting with baited breath for it but Sigma has one and Canon the EF f/1.4 and Nikon is rumoured
Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM => very expensive and probably great but for a limited number of users (but plenty of keyboard warrior commentators)
Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS => rumoured for 2-Nov
Canon RF 500mm f/4L IS USM => could be a redesign or just adding a RF adaptor. Can't see it breaking the internet.

So the only really unique lens would be the TS-R 14/4 with AF being the technological breakthrough. The number of buyers would be small though.
A 200-500/4 would be the RF upgrade of the 200-400/4+TC but not as unique as the 120-300/2.8 IMHO

Weirdly enough, CR has mentioned the Canon RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM but it isn't on the roadmap and the post doesn't have a CR rating on it.

No RF50/1.4 or wide/fast (<24mm and f1.4 or even f1.8) prime :-(
I was also looking at the roadmap to try to guess which lens it would be. Like you, I am guessing the TS-R14/4, but equally the RF28/1.4L. The latter would seem to be a more natural framing for those used to using the camera phone. It is not unique but it could perhaps meet a latent demand? - pure guesswork.

Upvote 0
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 | C for me. :)
I'm using it on my R50...If swap it with linear/STM, it'll be perfect. 18-50/2.8 is too short without the 24mm FF equiv.
still no sign of an RF 85 1.4 or maybe 1.8 for us poorer people.
2nd market should have some Yonguno/Viltrox/Meike RF85/1.8, and Samyang RF85/1.4

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I was also looking at the roadmap to try to guess which lens it would be. Like you, I am guessing the TS-R14/4, but equally the RF28/1.4L. The latter would seem to be a more natural framing for those used to using the camera phone. It is not unique but it could perhaps meet a latent demand? - pure guesswork.

They just released a 28mm. Unlikely another one comes in such a short time

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Nikon has one lens at that aperture already... must be 0.9 or faster :devilish:
But seriously, I promise I will stop moaning if they release a 35 1.2 (with the same quality as the 50 and 85 1.2)
Let me come up with some more caveats so that I have excuses to resume whining, just in case ;)

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
More than funny... instant pre-order from me. Astro-landscape lenses is a barren land for Canon. If only Sigma would release a EF manual AF version of their new E mount 14/1.4 or Canon release a 20/1.8 like Sony/Nikon has or an upgraded Sigma 20/1.4 to reduce coma.

CR has had lenses announced that weren't on the roadmap. The latest is today with the Canon RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM. The 200-800mm wasn't on the list before Sony Alpha Rumours broke the news. The RF5.2/2.8L was another surprise.
This isn't a criticism of CR but best to be upfront and realistic about rumours. Fact check the roadmap with date added to the roadmap and then announcement date.
That new Sigma mirrorless 20mm lens is the one I want for astro work. I hope it makes its way to canon!
I hope the 3rd lens is RF35mm f1.2L just to make many moaners shut up.
They'll still moan. Should have been 1.4 if 1.2. Or should have been 1.2 if 1.4. Too expensive. Too heavy. Too light. Too big. Too small. Missing some feature from the Sony/Nikon/Tamron/Sigma equivalent. Has a feature not present on the Sony/Nikon/Tamron/Sigma equivalent but which is dumb and only adds cost. Not compatible with rear filters. Wasteful inclusion of rear filter functionality. Wrong front filter size. Control ring present. Control ring not present. Incorrect location of the control ring. Too many switches on the lens. Not enough switches on the lens. Switches present are the incorrect ones. The possibilities are endless! lol. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0