What I would like to see in 2024

I'm a little high on meds this week as I hurt my back pretty bad. I'll apologize in advance if something in this article doesn't make sense :p But I wanted to get it out sooner than later.

I had something else in this article but I thought it may be a little more controversial so decided to wait on that. I'll write THAT up in a longer article near the end of the month.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
My wish for 2024 is a RF 180 or 200mm macrolens.

My wishlist for this lens ranked by importance (to me ;)), from high to lower:
  • Same (or better) optical quality as the EF 180 mm
  • 1:1 magnification
  • Fast AF
  • Compatible with RF extenders (for increased working distance with dragonflies, butterflies and other insects)
  • Sufficient number of aperture blades for a round opening with good bokeh
  • Image stabilization
  • Internal focusing (like the EF 180mm)
  • Focus limiter for close up focus range i.e. from closest focus to +/- 1 meter
  • F 2.8
  • Removable tripod collar
  • Weight: equivalent to, or lighter than, the EF 180mm
And please NO:
  • Spherical Aberration Control.
  • Focus shift.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

• Fast AF
  • Compatible with RF extenders (for increased working distance with dragonflies, butterflies and other insects)
  • Image stabilization
  • F 2.8
And please NO:
  • Focus shift.
You saved me the effort of typing all that, thanks!

I also wish for an EVF-less (or humpless like the sony a6xxxx) RF body that is small and capable, like the original M or M6II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

• Fast AF
  • Image stabilization
  • F 2.8
And please NO:
  • Focus shift.
yeah that's been on alot of wish lists for .. decades now? when did the EF one come out.. 1995 or so wasn't it?

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I'm a little high on meds this week as I hurt my back pretty bad. I'll apologize in advance if something in this article doesn't make sense :p But I wanted to get it out sooner than later.

I had something else in this article but I thought it may be a little more controversial so decided to wait on that. I'll write THAT up in a longer article near the end of the month.

Get well soon Richard

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
  • Sad
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0
I would like to see some lenses that already exist for other systems - 20-70mm (Sony), lightweight 100mm 1:1 macro (Panasonic), 50mm f/1.4 (Sony).

there certainly some lenses I would love to see. My interest is probably on a smaller APS-C camera like the M6 Mark II was, and a good 32mm 1.4, 55mm and a 15-55 F2.8.

I was debating on writing up something like that, but thought it was too use case specific and way too specific to me.

I would literally sell a kidney for AE-1 RF mount camera body, but then again, I'm old...

in a perfect world a global shutter 100MP AE-1 styled RF camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
there certainly some lenses I would love to see. My interest is probably on a smaller APS-C camera like the M6 Mark II was[...]
Does it need to be APS-C? The R8 shows that the sensor isn't the limiting factor in the camera size. Furthermore, the 16, 28, 50 and 24-50 lenses are all FF and tiny, but sadly no small EF-M11-22 equivalent for FF.

Upvote 0
Does it need to be APS-C? The R8 shows that the sensor isn't the limiting factor in the camera size. Furthermore, the 16, 28, 50 and 24-50 lenses are all FF and tiny, but sadly no small EF-M11-22 equivalent for FF.
It's more the size (and cost) of the overall kit can be much smaller with APS-C than with full frame. With respective compromises.

Upvote 0
My wish for 2024. A Firmware upgrade for the R5 that allows a pre shoot buffer when you half press the shutter button.

If there is an R5 ll I wish they would but a dimple on either the zoom or info button. I shoot in cold weather and use gloves.
I don't know why they put that on the m6 Mark ii and then promptly forgot to put it anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
in a perfect world a global shutter 100MP AE-1 styled RF camera.
I owned an AE-1 and an A1 and see no reason to go back to them. In a perfect world, Canon would stop changing their user interface with each new introduction. My preference would be to standardize all their middle level cameras on the R6-2 interface.

Since we're doing wish lists, I still want a 24MP R7-2 with a global shutter. Cue the laughter.

Upvote 0