Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Japanese is a symbolic language.
They look at pictograms completely differently than people with alphabetic languages do.

You cannot convince me that this would be good design if you swaped the latin script out with kanji!!! Look at the aliasing on the CLIP ART??

This is my petty ant hill and I will _die_ on it

1710279136305.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Sorry, everything I wrote was only hypothetical. It's fixed now, so maybe it will be clearer.
Thanks for trying to explain - I understand it more clearly now. By "above average user," was this also in a general way?

what 1.6 number makes me wonder is unless I need a refresher course in math, in the simplest way, for every five people that only buy the kit lens, there would be eight people buying one additional lens. That can't exactly be true because there are people who buy more than one additional lens before they buy a new body. Further, if the ef 50mm f/1.8 has been so popular, there will be even less people buying the higher quality L lenses, G if it's Sony and so on...
I see what you are saying, some of us would be buying less than two lenses per body if we total everything up. It's just marketing statistics and I think outside of very the largest retailers and most important investors, Canon probably won't share the information I'm wondering about.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Many quality lenses "last" significantly longer than cameras. For example, at one time you I bought EF 16-35L, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200L, EF 50L, EF 300L with the 5DII. After 5DII, you I bought 5DIII, and then 5DIV.
You are approximately at 1,666 :devilish: lenses per camera, even though you I consider yourself myself an above-average user.
Your post made me curious and I counted all ILC bodies we bought, and since 2004 we bought 12 bodies, and sold about half of them. That means I would have needed to have bought more than 20 lenses to go above the 1.6 average. I'm not sure how this situation plays into the statistics, since the photo gear in my house is a mix of mine, my wife's and shared gear :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Thanks for trying to explain - I understand it more clearly now. By "above average user," was this also in a general way?

what 1.6 number makes me wonder is unless I need a refresher course in math, in the simplest way, for every five people that only buy the kit lens, there would be eight people buying one additional lens. That can't exactly be true because there are people who buy more than one additional lens before they buy a new body. Further, if the ef 50mm f/1.8 has been so popular, there will be even less people buying the higher quality L lenses, G if it's Sony and so on...
I see what you are saying, some of us would be buying less than two lenses per body if we total everything up. It's just marketing statistics and I think outside of very the largest retailers and most important investors, Canon probably won't share the information I'm wondering about.
Come to think of it, I don't even know why I left a comment, much less what those numbers mean. I currently have 6 EF/RF Canon bodies and 9 EF/RF Canon lenses (8 lenses to be exact, and one more coming tomorrow, so I've already included that lens in the total). So I'm currently averaging 1.5 Canon EF/RF lenses per Canon EF/RF body. I'm not counting two more EF Sigmas. What does it all mean and should it mean anything to me - it doesn't really mean anything to me, but it's my stats.

By the term above/below average I mean the comparison with that statistic of 1.6... I wasn't alluding to someone's knowledge and skills.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
what 1.6 number makes me wonder is unless I need a refresher course in math, in the simplest way, for every five people that only buy the kit lens, there would be eight people buying one additional lens.
I’m not sure that’s correct – the simplest expression would for every 2 people buying a body with a kit lens, there 3 more people buying a body with two lenses (8 lenses / 5 bodies = 1.6). Alternatively, for every 5 people buying a body with a kit lens, there 3 more people buying just a lens to add to their existing kit.

The reality is a bit more complicated because the most popular kits in Japan are typically an APS-C body bundled with two lenses, and those are also the kits you see most often at places like Costco.

Overall, I suspect what this all means is that most ILC buyers get an APS-C body with 1-2 kit lenses, use that body for several years (or don't), and if/when it breaks or they decide they're ready for a new camera, they by the then-current APS-C body with 1-2 kit lenses (which the manufacturers are updated frequently enough that they are all 'new' and 'upgraded' compared to the kit the customer bought years ago). That's 'most' buyers, then there are the much smaller number of buyers who buy multiple lenses, and many of those use FF bodies and upgrade lenses/bodies with a higher frequency than most buyers.

Also worth noting that as the low end of the market has dropped off somewhat, the ratio and user base is shifting. Several years ago, 90% of ILCs sold were APS-C and the ratio of lenses to bodies was 1.4:1. Now it's more like 75% are APS-C and the ratio is 1.6:1. The average unit value of cameras shipped has also increased over the past several years. Taken together, that means there are now more users of the 'higher end' type (FF camera, multiple lenses) than before, though a large majority of the market is still represented by those buying APS-C bodies with 1-2 kit lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Your post made me curious and I counted all ILC bodies we bought, and since 2004 we bought 12 bodies, and sold about half of them. That means I would have needed to have bought more than 20 lenses to go above the 1.6 average. I'm not sure how this situation plays into the statistics, since the photo gear in my house is a mix of mine, my wife's and shared gear :)
Looking at just my current kit, I have a 7:1 ratio of lenses to bodies (14 RF lenses, 6 EF lenses, 8 EF-M lenses, 4 bodies).

Since my first DSLR purchase in 2009, I’ve sold or otherwise offloaded 17 lenses (15 EF, 1 EF-S and 1 EF-M, not counting lenses I purchased used and subsequently sold) and 7 bodies. So overall, I’m at about a 4:1 ratio.

Clearly, I’m not a typical user. That was true out of the gate, when I bought the Rebel T1i/500D without the EF-S 18-55 kit lens, instead buying the EF-S 17-55/2.8 and the EF 85/1.8.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Looking at just my current kit, I have a 7:1 ratio of lenses to bodies (14 RF lenses, 6 EF lenses, 8 EF-M lenses, 4 bodies).

Since my first DSLR purchase in 2009, I’ve sold or otherwise offloaded 17 lenses (15 EF, 1 EF-S and 1 EF-M, not counting lenses I purchased used and subsequently sold) and 7 bodies. So overall, I’m at about a 4:1 ratio.

Clearly, I’m not a typical user. That was true out of the gate, when I bought the Rebel T1i/500D without the EF-S 18-55 kit lens, instead buying the EF-S 17-55/2.8 and the EF 85/1.8.
What a fun game :ROFLMAO:

Currently I have 2 ILCs and 17 lenses (8.5:1 ratio).
Counting all ILCs and lenses I have bought, I get 8 and 41 (5:1 ratio)
The large number of past lenses was due to my fixation (now passed) to cover every possible mm, to me starting with crop cameras and transitioning to FF DSLR and then to FF mirrorless, and to my taste in lenses moving from consumer to L

I guess I am not a typical user too. That's why Canon MUST listen to me about the 35mm :devilish:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I’m not sure that’s correct – the simplest expression would for every 2 people buying a body with a kit lens, there 3 more people buying a body with two lenses (8 lenses / 5 bodies = 1.6). Alternatively, for every 5 people buying a body with a kit lens, there 3 more people buying just a lens to add to their existing kit.

The reality is a bit more complicated because the most popular kits in Japan are typically an APS-C body bundled with two lenses, and those are also the kits you see most often at places like Costco.

Overall, I suspect what this all means is that most ILC buyers get an APS-C body with 1-2 kit lenses, use that body for several years (or don't), and if/when it breaks or they decide they're ready for a new camera, they by the then-current APS-C body with 1-2 kit lenses (which the manufacturers are updated frequently enough that they are all 'new' and 'upgraded' compared to the kit the customer bought years ago). That's 'most' buyers, then there are the much smaller number of buyers who buy multiple lenses, and many of those use FF bodies and upgrade lenses/bodies with a higher frequency than most buyers.

Also worth noting that as the low end of the market has dropped off somewhat, the ratio and user base is shifting. Several years ago, 90% of ILCs sold were APS-C and the ratio of lenses to bodies was 1.4:1. Now it's more like 75% are APS-C and the ratio is 1.6:1. The average unit value of cameras shipped has also increased over the past several years. Taken together, that means there are now more users of the 'higher end' type (FF camera, multiple lenses) than before, though a large majority of the market is still represented by those buying APS-C bodies with 1-2 kit lenses.
Thank you for correcting me. It seems I do need a refresher course.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021

Did you have an SLR before that first DSLR or you simply did more research than most people and were able to decided ton spending a little extra on lenses?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Did you have an SLR before that first DSLR or you simply did more research than most people and were able to decided ton spending a little extra on lenses?
I used a film SLR in high school and college, including developing my own B&W negatives and prints. From those days, I learned glass > body, which is why I went with the better lenses to start.

Not knowing if photography would be a phase or something I would remain interested in, I gave myself a budget of $2500 and with that I got the T1i, 17-55/2.8, 85/1.8, 430EX II flash, and a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod and ballhead.

Upvote 0