What I would like to see in 2024

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Wouldn't that, in theory, double noise, but in practice probably more?
If the microlens sends all the light to the remaining pixel/sensel, you should get the same amount of photons (technically double the photons). The question is how much less efficient the charge transfer makes things.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Does it need to be APS-C? The R8 shows that the sensor isn't the limiting factor in the camera size. Furthermore, the 16, 28, 50 and 24-50 lenses are all FF and tiny, but sadly no small EF-M11-22 equivalent for FF.
Full-frame lenses are larger which kind of defeats the purpose of having a small camera body.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Full-frame lenses are larger which kind of defeats the purpose of having a small camera body.
That's why I specifically referenced the 16, 28, 50 and 24-50 lenses, I haven't seen Canon produce any smaller lenses than those, be it FF or crop. We can quibble about the 24-50, it doesn't taper in like the RF-S zooms do.

Maybe in the future Canon (or 3rd parties) will release small AF lenses specifically for crop, but right now, there is no real size advantage for primes. For zooms, yes, the 10-18 is a lot smaller than the 15-30.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
No. Some designs are larger (and heavier) - one advantage mirrorless can have is they can use smaller designs that cannot be used with SLRs because of the mirror box. A small "retro" body, especially a rangefinder-like one, with large lenses could be really useless. Now, if it comes with smaller, lighter lenses...

Upvote 0
that's a modest bump to 39MP
Yes, and a super crispy 4K video output with no odd downsampling ratio or cropping (and the option to output 8K video, though the consumer variety) because it's just a straight 2x2 downsample like what they did with the C100 where it had a 4K sensor but output downsampled 1080p. For a 1080p camera, the C100 had some some the crispest (at the time) 1080 video ever.

If they then pushed out a full frame camera with that same pixel density, they'd easily have DCI 8K super35 video out with a whopping 12K+ full frame out for video. Now that's definitely on the upper end of things.

Stills would just be the icing on the cake.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't that, in theory, double noise, but in practice probably more?
The noise/DR hit would be "equivalent" to the A9iii as their implementation of global shutter halves the light as they split the pixel into 2 parts. One to measure and the other to charge ready to read out simultaneously. Unsure how the microlens would assist... if the measuring pixel had double the well depth for photons then in theory there wouldn't be an issue of base ISO for instance. You would assume that Sony tried to do this but wasn't able to. Similarly, having the charge stored behind the pixel (BSI) also didn't seem to be viable for Sony.

Other more knowledgeable forum dwellers may be able to comment in more detail.

Upvote 0
Not going to lie: I'm tepid at best on a retro camera. I have gotten spoiled these last few decades on actually being able to hold my camera. So I am probably not the target market. That being said, I do understand the attraction. But I am going to say this: if they do this and don't make it the third iteration of the RP, I'll be severely disappointed. As folks probably know, the EOS RP was the second camera to bear the RP designation. In 1960, Canon released two variations of its Canonflex SLR, the R2000 with its 1/2000 shutter speed, and the RP, or Reflex Populaire, an economy version of the same. I like that my EOS RP invokes some of that same mystique, as it has been a great camera for me. And let's face it: I'm a bit of an antique myself at this point. But an RP Mark II, or better yet, an RP Flex retro camera would at least invoke a smile from me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
- Nostalgia Zf => AE-1. Can I suggest that boomers and millennials seem to be driving this requirement but if it sells for a profit...
A quibble but I personally doubt millennials figure big in this (though obviously the whole named generation thing is intrinsically problematic). Mostly too young to have used such bodies the first time round, but a bit too old to think they're cool (and would that even count as nostalgia?). Gen X maybe.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
When the 5Ds came out, even though it was a huge jump in resolution for full frame cameras, it was still less pixel dense than the 20MP 70D at the time.
20MP APS-C is the same density as 51MP FF, so virtually identical to the 50MP 5Ds. Or to put it another way (according to the-digital-picture), the 70D had 4.1µm pixels versus the 5Ds's 4.14µm, so within a rounding error.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I don't really get these sorts of wishlists. There's always plenty kit that already exists which I would like, I just can't afford it. So I guess my 2024 wish would be: 200-800s quickly coming onto the secondhand market (I won't hold my breath).
I don't know how many or quickly, but I can see where some people will have have set expectations too high and will or already did decide to return to the store. So, keep a look out for refurbished, also.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I don't know how many or quickly, but I can see where some people will have have set expectations too high and will or already did decide to return to the store. So, keep a look out for refurbished, also.
Yep!
Here's a link to keep an eye on daily used gear updates:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Yep!
Here's a link to keep an eye on daily used gear updates:
I didn't had forgotten about a daily update for used and refurbished items. So, thanks for that!
let's add the refurbished page (I'm not sure if canon will mail out of the country).

We can also go to the item page you want and ask the website to send an email when there is a new deal
I don't think there will be any deals on it this year, but who can be sure?

Upvote 0