What I would like to see in 2024

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I owned an AE-1 and an A1 and see no reason to go back to them. In a perfect world, Canon would stop changing their user interface with each new introduction.

I was shooting with my A-1 a week ago (yes, I still own mine, and still use it sometimes), after a while I didn't use it - and I was surprised how the interface was not so different from my 5D, after all. Canon made it with one of the first dials you can use with one finger, and with full numeric LED data in the viewfinder, no moving needles (it is just a pity aperture is not linked to the lens setting in manual mode). Even changing mode was not so different. Just advancing the film was quite different... but oh boy, how small and light it is....

Upvote 0
For the bodies: rethink the buttons on the top plate, having ones for the light and lock are a waste - bigger buttons and more options to assign. Can we get beyond three C settings? Fuji & Olympus can go higher and so can Canon. Ability to add a name to these Custom settings, e.g. BiF, Macro. Ability to link a Custom setting with a particular lens or lenses. Ability to use voice commands,

For the lenses: 180-200mm macro that focuses 2:1, faster focus than the old one!!, redo the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 but start at half life size and maybe add a few millimeters to the focal length, 600mm f/5.6 DO with built-in 1.4 converter, RF extensions tubes, small 50-60mm macro to 1:1, 100-300mm that focuses to half life size, and a small, cheap fisheye for FF. For APS-C, 15-85mm f/2.8-4 standard, 8-24mm f/2.8-4 super wide and 50-250mm f/2.8-4 tele. If they add L I won't complain.

Jim

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
1: ergonomic standardisation based on R3 with improved eye controlled AF
2: larger bodies for normal hands, size matters, there are already enough cameras for baby-hands!
3: a compact high quality camera with fixed lens (35mm), 45 MP, FF
4: a 24-70 f/4 high IQ macro zoom
5: 60 and 180mm macro L lenses

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
And given how the Nikon ZF ((y)) was received, I'd be amazed if Canon is not looking at the Math to see if it's possible to release a retro body (though the majority of the lenses are way too large!).
If a retro body, please make it the shape and size of the first F1!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Do you have the link to that?
In fact, I rounded the number of pixels up to 85 MP (typical for a physicist ;)):

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
In fact, I rounded the number of pixels up to 85 MP (typical for a physicist ;)):
Thank you, very informative!

Upvote 0
FF cameras:
R1 and R5mkii --> just because I´m curious. And because I want the price of the R5 to drop further :)
I kind of have the feeling Canon could release a small, stripped down (no EVF) entry level FF camera and name it R9. Just speculation on my behalf.

I don't believe a high-res FF Camera is coming with two top-tier models already in the pipeline.

My personal wish would be R6mkiii with 34 MP... not gonna happen until 2026... I know... 2025 will be high res camera and R3mkii with GS imo.

FF lenses:
- a new macro lens
- F1.4 primes --> 50mm & 85mm because the 35mm F1.2 needs to come first otherwise some people will be seriously pissed
- RF 24-70mm F4 in a very compact form
- RF 200-500mm and RF 400mm F2.8... you know...olympics, R1...

My personal wish: RF 70-150mm F2 --> you got my attention (and probably my money )

Tilt and shift lenses will come in 2025 with the high-res body.

APS-C lenses:
- a constant aperture lense
- RF-S 22mm F2

Upvote 0
Are we listing stuff that other systems have that Canon doesn't yet?
- Nostalgia Zf => AE-1. Can I suggest that boomers and millennials seem to be driving this requirement but if it sells for a profit...
- Global shutter A9iii => R3ii. It would justify current R3 price level in a R1 world and Sony takes the initial poor publicity for DR/noise burn.
- Mid-price range f1.4 options => 3rd party or native Canon
- High megapixel 60mp+ A7Rv => R5s. scaling up R7 APS-C sensor to full frame is the obvious choice
- Cheap APS-C primes => repackaging of EF-M lenses
- Wide/bright primes eg Sigma on E mount plus a R5a astro model with "bright monitoring" feature.

More unique but low-volume lenses would be RF zoom fisheye, long macro, TS lenses, MP-E replacement. I anecdotally hear that users will switch systems for a particular lens for their use-case and hence Canon shouldn't discount the flow-on benefits for the low volume lenses

Lot of firmware improvements would be nice. R5 users have a long wishlist that the R5ii hopefully includes.

The R5's 45mp resolution (and Z9/Z8) appears to be defined by 8K video. 10K would be ~67mp (3:2) and 12k would be ~96mp (3:2). I'm unsure if that would be a driving factor but something to think about... Canon does like to be first for hybrid body video at times (5Dii and R5).

Canon continues to release new RF lenses that extend/expand features on comparable EF or 3rd party lenses. RF5.2 dual fisheye, RF100-300/2.8, RF24-105/2.8, RF10-20/f4, RF100/2.8 with 1.4 magnification, RF200-800, RF600/11, RF800/11. They use the word "surprise" and that has been the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see Canon doing a 100+MP sensor until they've at least hit that pixel density in their APS-C line. When the 5Ds came out, even though it was a huge jump in resolution for full frame cameras, it was still less pixel dense than the 20MP 70D at the time. To release a full frame camera that has more pixels per square mm than even their most pixel dense APS-C sensors? They haven't done it in the past, I just don't see them doing it now or anytime soon.

What I do expect to see is Canon releasing a more pixel dense APS-C sensor. The sensor in the 90D/R7 has been around for what, about 4 years now? I'd love to see an APS-C sensor that was 7680x5120 over the 6900x4600 available now. If they do that, then either at the same time or shortly thereafter, also release a ~12400x8266 full frame sensor in an R5s, that's net a pretty awesome ~102MP.

But all that said, I'd still be totally cool with an ~80MP sensor that had the same pixel density as the R7. Just imagine, two cameras in now. Want to bird or shoot wildlife? No problem. Put the camera in crop mode and you effectively have an R7. Need more resolution? Go full frame.

Upvote 0
I don't see Canon doing a 100+MP sensor until they've at least hit that pixel density in their APS-C line. When the 5Ds came out, even though it was a huge jump in resolution for full frame cameras, it was still less pixel dense than the 20MP 70D at the time. To release a full frame camera that has more pixels per square mm than even their most pixel dense APS-C sensors? They haven't done it in the past, I just don't see them doing it now or anytime soon.

What I do expect to see is Canon releasing a more pixel dense APS-C sensor. The sensor in the 90D/R7 has been around for what, about 4 years now? I'd love to see an APS-C sensor that was 7680x5120 over the 6900x4600 available now. If they do that, then either at the same time or shortly thereafter, also release a ~12400x8266 full frame sensor in an R5s, that's net a pretty awesome ~102MP.

But all that said, I'd still be totally cool with an ~80MP sensor that had the same pixel density as the R7. Just imagine, two cameras in now. Want to bird or shoot wildlife? No problem. Put the camera in crop mode and you effectively have an R7. Need more resolution? Go full frame.

that's a modest bump to 39MP

Keep in mind that Canon is selling 250MP APS-H sized sensors already.

Canon thought they could do this back in 2015 on a DSLR - they even did a development announcement. But DPAF would have changed that equation though.

I actually like it when Canon pushes the boundaries. they may not get it right all the time, but most times they do. Except for the toss a dart into the dartboard decisions on ergonomics lately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My wish-list consist of one camera, likely a stacked bsi R5 II with a larger/nicer EVF and improved subject switching (faces in crowds), and one lens, a successor to the 200 f2 - either an 'affordable' replacement (IS f2 or 1.8, if possible with x1.4), or more money for something crazy (RF 135 f1.4 IS 1.4x or RF 135-200 f1.4-1.8 IS 1.4x please).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
…one lens, a successor to the 200 f2 - either an 'affordable' replacement (IS f2 or 1.8, if possible with x1.4), or more money for something crazy (RF 135 f1.4 IS 1.4x or RF 135-200 f1.4-1.8 IS 1.4x please).
Instead, you might see a 70-200/2 zoom. Seems that’s the direction Canon is headed, in general.

• Love
Upvote 0
Instead, you might see a 70-200/2 zoom. Seems that’s the direction Canon is headed, in general.
I would take any zoom that offers 200 f2.
I currently only use long primes because of the DoF control versus zooms. I haven't used a 70-200 in the last fifteen years. But if zooms are getting there, and there is a 70-200 f2, I'll happily take it.
I'd be really happy with a 100-200 f2 IS, or 135-200 f2 IS.

Upvote 0
that's a modest bump to 39MP

Keep in mind that Canon is selling 250MP APS-H sized sensors already.

Canon thought they could do this back in 2015 on a DSLR - they even did a development announcement. But DPAF would have changed that equation though.

I actually like it when Canon pushes the boundaries. they may not get it right all the time, but most times they do. Except for the toss a dart into the dartboard decisions on ergonomics lately.
as DPAF already splits each pixel in 2, the R5 already has 90mp :)
Canon "just" has to change the circuitry to have one side as a charge and then it becomes a global shutter :cool:

Upvote 0
My wish for 2024 is a RF 180 or 200mm macrolens.

My wishlist for this lens ranked by importance (to me ;)), from high to lower:
  • Same (or better) optical quality as the EF 180 mm
  • 1:1 magnification
  • Fast AF
  • Compatible with RF extenders (for increased working distance with dragonflies, butterflies and other insects)
  • Sufficient number of aperture blades for a round opening with good bokeh
  • Image stabilization
  • Internal focusing (like the EF 180mm)
  • Focus limiter for close up focus range i.e. from closest focus to +/- 1 meter
  • F 2.8
  • Removable tripod collar
  • Weight: equivalent to, or lighter than, the EF 180mm
And please NO:
  • Spherical Aberration Control.
  • Focus shift.

Love the EF 180mm. Your RF version looks lovely to me.

Upvote 0