Canon Executive interview at CP+ 2024

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
The Sigma 10-18mm F2.8 for APSC Sony E and Fuji X sounds most interesting for me. I assume that it could be ported into the RF mount with almost identical IQ. Given that this is priced at about US$$600, and that the RF-S 10-18mm is at US$329, there might be a chance that this lens is 'allowed' for 3rd party as, while it is squarely in the same focal length range as the RF-S, it is at a significantly (relatively speaking) different price point, being about twice the price. Also, early reviews of the RF-S 10-18 seems to indicate that it is a pretty sharp lens, so it can possibly compete well with the Sigma lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think that wasn't the Canon executive; but rather a large language model. Gotta love Japanese executive speak. Sigma's CEO seems to be the only one who talks straight, though he's pretty mum, perhaps because of those ongoing discussions.

In terms of lines that Canon doesn't intend to fill themselves, I'm not sure there are a lot of slots that they don't want to occupy. Perhaps narrow aperture crop lenses, sure; but even then, I bet they'd pitch fits if someone started selling f/1.8 primes for $250 that had 90 percent the image quality. Think Tamron's 35 f/1.8 corker. I just don't see Canon giving up slots and being happy with the inevitable results. The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a crop lens that goes for $600. It blows away anything Canon launched in crop in... in ever?

Finally, this seems to assume that Canon has the right to prevent others from providing EF autofocus lenses on the RF mount. I have doubts about that. I suspect that the forbearance you see from Tamron and Sigma have more to do with them being elbows-deep into Canon OEM lens manufacturing contracts. Those may be the legal instruments holding them back. If that's the case, then executive interviews like this are just piffle.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I think that wasn't the Canon executive; but rather a large language model. Gotta love Japanese executive speak. Sigma's CEO seems to be the only one who talks straight, though he's pretty mum, perhaps because of those ongoing discussions.

In terms of lines that Canon doesn't intend to fill themselves, I'm not sure there are a lot of slots that they don't want to occupy. Perhaps narrow aperture crop lenses, sure; but even then, I bet they'd pitch fits if someone started selling f/1.8 primes for $250 that had 90 percent the image quality. Think Tamron's 35 f/1.8 corker. I just don't see Canon giving up slots and being happy with the inevitable results. The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a crop lens that goes for $600. It blows away anything Canon launched in crop in... in ever?

Finally, this seems to assume that Canon has the right to prevent others from providing EF autofocus lenses on the RF mount. I have doubts about that. I suspect that the forbearance you see from Tamron and Sigma have more to do with them being elbows-deep into Canon OEM lens manufacturing contracts. Those may be the legal instruments holding them back. If that's the case, then executive interviews like this are just piffle.
I think dealing with contracts is probably the explanation, but is it possible there may be some computation involved that could prevent the autofocus from working in these hypothetical lenses designed for mirrorless, but using ef protocols? Something like the camera's logic might notice the rear element is too close to the sensor for it to be an ef lens?

Upvote 0
prevent others from providing EF autofocus lenses on the RF mount. I have doubts about that. I suspect that the forbearance you see from Tamron and Sigma have more to do with them being elbows-deep into Canon OEM lens manufacturing contracts. Those may be the legal instruments holding them back. If that's the case, then executive interviews like this are just piffle.

That's what I'm asking myself since day one of R system, why don't they manufacture RF stuff, with RF mount and electric contacts (can be done, see third party RF-EF adapters, and Canon seems pretty fine with that), and EF AF protocols; so it might very well be your take, something about OEM contracts.

But then, why others, like Meike, Viltrox, Samyang, etc (SY had RF AF stuff and they pulled it out), which I don't think are manufacturing stuff for Canon, have not yet flooded the market with some AF lens? Tamron can't release the 35-150 in RF? Well, Samyang has the exact same lens, with 99% the same performance from the test I saw, so why that's not on the market with an EF algorithm for AF and camera communication?

There are NDA's in play, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
DPR has an article with the title "Sony a9 III: Global shutter comes with an image quality cost", not something that Canon would want in a flagship camera.
Surprise surprise, anyone who has an idea about sensor design could have predicted that. Must be quite bad if DPR publishes anything critical about a Sony product. I remember well that they really put a lot of effort in the R5 "heat problem" propaganda - for a stills & video camera that offered 8k for the first time but never was made for 30 min 8k video takes.

Upvote 0