A Canon CP+ 2023 interview...

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
...can be found here: https://phototrend-fr.translate.goo...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

...many topics posted here on CR are 'carefully' discussed at the link above (I've posted the French-to-English translation), by Canon execs with names some readers here will recognize:

Feom Go Tokura (General Manager of Imaging Division):

'As for the evolution on the user side, the demand for photography is still very high. But we are increasingly seeing a trend towards video."

"If we project ourselves into the future, we can no longer be satisfied with 2D images. The next step is obviously 3D, virtual reality and augmented reallity.'

"And you can expect there to be a '1', which is currently being worked on and will be our most premium model."

=====

From Tetsuji Kiyomi (ICB Division Manager in charge of Products):

"Thus, compactness and lightness are therefore two common points between the APS-C models of the EOS R range and those of the EOS M series. However, the size of the M-series enclosures is even smaller, and there is still a strong demand for this from our customers. This means that we will continue to offer the EOS M series as we need to meet this high demand."

=====

Other comments from Canon execs aim to explain the market segmentation of the various Canon R bodies, the naming of the R8, as well as the Canon policies concerningthird-party R lenses.

They are quite careful with their chosen words in most of this interview...and to my eyes and brain generally leave a lot of wiggle room.

Everybody has an opinion here on CR. Here's mine: Canon is in good hands.

Reactions: 1 user

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
However, the size of the M-series enclosures is even smaller, and there is still a strong demand for this from our customers. This means that we will continue to offer the EOS M series as we need to meet this high demand."
Interesting - so the vibe is that the M series will continue, because it has an inherently smaller form factor than the R series. I wonder whether that is a long term plan, given there seems to be no appetite to introduce new models? Presumably for as long as the current healthy sales (especially of M series kits) continues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Interesting - so the vibe is that the M series will continue, because it has an inherently smaller form factor than the R series. I wonder whether that is a long term plan, given there seem to be no appetite to introduce new models? Presumably for as long as the current healthy sales (especially of M series kits) continues.
I feel like Canon has been saying the same thing for the past 5 years and we've only seen 2 bodies being introduced, the M6II and M50II. And the really small form factor, the M200 has been discontinued.

I've made my peace with an R8 replacing my M6II as second body, but I keep hoping for an M300 with LP-E17, Digic X, the R10/R50 sensor and USB-C PD charging.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I feel like Canon has been saying the same thing for the past 5 years and we've only seen 2 bodies being introduced, the M6II and M50II. And the really small form factor, the M200 has been discontinued.

I've made my peace with an R8 replacing my M6II as second body, but I keep hoping for an M300 with LP-E17, Digic X, the R10/R50 sensor and USB-C PD charging.
Thanks for your post here.

I was unaware that the M200 had also been marked for extinction.

I picked up one of those as well (refurbished)...it is waiting to be used; I love that form factor with the 22mm EF-M lens.

I've been posting about Canon's Ms for what seems like a decade or so now, here on CR.

Even my two daughters found the entire M ecosystem enticing; the light weight and small volume of the Ms and its EF-M lenses was an important part of the M's appeal to both of them.

I remain flabbergasted that Canon has 'relegated' the M format to the dustbin. It does not make sense to me.

And their M-related comments in the posted link above don't really make any sense either, when combined with the lack of activity as far as new (M) products are concerned.

When I finish this post, I'm going to begin packing for a trip to Florida.

I can't decide whether to include one or both of my M6 MkII bodies ;).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Even my two daughters found the entire M ecosystem enticing; the light weight and small volume of the Ms and its EF-M lenses was an important part of the M's appeal to both of them.
My two daughters have both used an M camera on trips. Now that they both have the iPhone 14, we’ll see if they want an M for our summer trip, or they’ll just use their phones.

Similarly, I’m deciding whether or not to bring the M kit for myself along with the R3, or just keep my R8 preorder and bring that instead of the R3 + M. I’ll also be doing some diving, and for that I decided to get a housing for my iPhone 14 Pro instead of the M6II.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
As listed in my signature [S95 + (Meikon) WP DC-38, ELPH 300 + WP-DC320L], underwater housings have given new life to a pair of reliable Canon subcompacts that remain in my toolbox. Of course they're only built to withstand a few feet of water pressure...

I've yet to pull the trigger on this ebay listing (40 meters depth):

40M Waterproof Underwater Diving Camera Housing Case for Canon EOS M2 18-55mm

...both the M2 body and the 18-55 EF-M lens haven't been used in our family in years but ... if they're like other 'legacy' Canon electronics we own I'm sure they'll fire up.

That M2 served us well...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've yet to pull the trigger on this ebay listing (40 meters depth):

40M Waterproof Underwater Diving Camera Housing Case for Canon EOS M2 18-55mm

...both the M2 body and the 18-55 EF-M lens haven't been used in our family in years but ... if they're like other 'legacy' Canon electronics we own I'm sure they'll fire up.
I still have an M2 (I just powered it up, working fine), and I also have an M18-55. From what I read (limited info), it looks like there’s no zoom control for the lens and the reviews are mixed.

They make one for the M6 (which I also have) with integrated port options for the 22/2 or for the 18-55/15-45/11-22, and the latter allows zoom control. That one is $100 more than the M2 housing. It also allows using the popup flash to control a strobe, though at least one review for the M2 complains about the space inside being too large but suggests it might be to accommodate the 90EX and there is a flash port in the right spot (I don’t have a 90EX, but they’re ~$20 used). If I were to go that route, I’d probably go with the M6 + 22/2 housing.

Having said that, I’m going to stick with the iPhone for diving this summer. I ordered a nice SeaLife housing, tray, grips and a pair of 3000 lumen lights that will allow both video and still imaging from wide angle to closeup, along with a fluoro light. The premise is that as with portraiture, the lighting is more important than the camera, and while a bigger sensor gathers more light, there’s not much light to be gathered at depth so I’d rather use a simpler camera and add light to the scene.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

I remain flabbergasted that Canon has 'relegated' the M format to the dustbin. It does not make sense to me.

And their M-related comments in the posted link above don't really make any sense either, when combined with the lack of activity as far as new (M) products are concerned.

Why are new models - cameras or lenses - necessary to avoid the conclusion Canon has relegated the M system to the dustbin?

It seems to me the M system was designed from the beginning with small size and low weight as a key requirment. Canon has never released a range of "premium" fast lenses for the system to compete with the options available for other APS-C systems (particularly Fuji's). I can therefore imagine the M system being purchased by people who want a decent little camera but are not seriously into photography in the way many CR members are, so I can see that group not being quick to upgrade equipment if their existing equipment is still working fine. I can also imagine the M system being purchased by people who are seriously into photography and have the large, heavy, gear, but want a small second system for occasions when small size and low weight have to take priority. Since the M gear is a secondary system for those people, again I do not know how quick that group would be to upgrade (or to buy larger, heavier "premium" M lenses - they would have their primary system for those sorts of lenses). I do not know if those two groups are the primary buyers for the M system or if I am correct about the buying habits of those groups (and of course there would always be some people who would have different buying habits), but I can imagine it might be the case, and if it is the case then I can imagine Canon not seeing a need to update M models wtih the same frequency that models in their RF system (and previously EF system). If the M system already does it what it needs to do for the target market, releasing new models may not have much impact on Canon's sales/profit, so it would make sense for Canon to use its resources to design gear for other things such as the RF system.

All speculation on my part, but I just don't think Canon's failure to release new M gear for a while necessarily has to mean Canon has abandoned the M system.

On the other hand, if Canon has abandoned the M system, my guess is it will be because Canon sees the M system as being another victim of the camera phone as camera phones continue to improve. If camera phones are good enough that an APS-C system the size of the M gear doesn't offer enough advantages to entice buyers, that's it for the M system. And for example, I see Neuro saying in a post above that he is thinking he might take his camera phone and an R8 on an upcoming trip and leave his M gear at home. That's only one person, of course, but maybe we are seeing the M system falling victim to the phone camera. If that's the case, Canon might as well leave the existing M gear on the market for a bit longer if it still making some sales, but obviously Canon wouldn't be devoting resources to new M product.

Upvote 0