Opinion: This patent identifies my ongoing issue with Canon

Okay, I know this had been done to death – the horse is beaten and dragged off and turned into glue. But when I saw this patent application from Sigma today, and tossed it over to Craig, his response was “Well, don’t expect Canon to ever do a lens like that” to which I agree.

See full article...

Reactions: 2 users
I should note that this is my article and related opinion, even though it's Craig's user account that creates the forum link. I mean I mention rocking an EOS-M and we all know that can't be Craig talking :p

consider this more just keeping this topic recent as it should be and also that's a sweet 10mm F1.4 patent application.

have at it folks - be gentle ;)

Upvote 0
Canon seems to differentiate its product lines more than other vendors. Even in the FF segment, the difference between an RF 85mm L and non-L lens is now bigger than it used to be in EF mount. It is a logical consequence to set apart the APS-C segment even more. In the eyes of a product management, it is just a lower end product line. This strategy is going to cost our money and each of us has to decide whether to go into this, especially since the new mount is closed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2023
"[...] I have a very high degree of resistance to any camera not made by Canon."

Can I ask an honest question: Why?

Having used cameras from all major manufacturers throughout the last two decades, I always found it interesting to try out new systems, sensor sizes, lenses etc. They were all great in their way, some more useful than others (shoutout to the Nikon 1 V1 - what a great cam it was). Sticking to only one brand is like eating the same food every day forever IMHO. I use Canon now, but I know that in a year or two I will want to try something new.

It especially seems to not make sense if other companies offer something that you would enjoy using; in this case the Sigma APS-C lenses. It's not like Canon pays us to use their gear, quite the contrary :D So just get a nice X-T30 and have fun - I promise there will be no penalty.

Upvote 0
"[...] I have a very high degree of resistance to any camera not made by Canon."

Having used cameras from all major manufacturers throughout the last two decades, I always found it interesting to try out new systems, sensor sizes, lenses etc. They were all great in their way, some more useful than others (shoutout to the Nikon 1 V1 - what a great cam it was). Sticking to only one brand is like eating the same food every day forever IMHO. I use Canon now, but I know that in a year or two I will want to try something new.

It especially seems to not make sense if other companies offer something that you would enjoy using; in this case the Sigma APS-C lenses. It's not like Canon pays us to use their gear, quite the contrary :D So just get a nice X-T30 and have fun - I promise there will be no penalty.

I've used Canon since the mid 80's .. and I've gotten used to how they work. from the UI, controls, etc. even their usual image output prioritization.

I have at one time or another used most of the other brands, I just always have preferred Canon's approach. I find that I want the camera to get out of my way as quickly as possible, and that tends to be one with a high degree of familiarity.

With today's sensors that's probably less of an issue because you have far more output slop than ever before. But I tend to think of the camera is just a tool. I like my brand of tools to be Canon.

and yeah I've been having serious thoughts about getting an X-T30 already ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hear ya. It is frustrating that they\'re not doing these things, and I\'ve got a lot of Canon gear. I wish Canon would put more weather sealing in its non-L stuff. I\'ve got an A7R III but I simply hate using it (I find the R10 more comfortable to hold, and that\'s saying something). I\'ll sell the Sony soon and probably pick up a m43 body. I\'m really hoping Sigma connects with Canon soon and brings its 28-70 over to RF, and maybe some of the I-series primes.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

[…]
For me, I keep using Canon because the alternatives I tried have all annoyed me too much. The Sony bodies have shockingly bad EVFs and were designed by someone who has never seen actual hands. The Olympus bodies had good ergonomics, but the menus and product segmentation (no orientation sensor, really?!?!) turned me off on it.
I did like the Nikon Z bodies a lot, but at that point I already had an R body, so switching would be €€€€.
The Fuji bodies have great specs, but are 2 to 3 times the price of equivalent EF-M bodies and lenses. And for APS-C, they are HUGE.

With the 100-500L and 100L macro I have great autofocus lenses for the type of photography I like, no other system offers equivalent lenses.
I wish proper 1:1 or better macro was more popular, I don’t mind manual focus, but I do want an electronically controlled aperture!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

I'll speak just for myself: after my first SLR camera, an Eos 300 that was gifted to me, I bought on my own the EOS 33, which was controlled by a front dial, close to the shutter button, for the Tv, and a back dial for the Av.

I found that very same dial setup when I bought my first DSLR, the 10D in 2006, my first FF DSLR, the 5D in 2009, and my first ML, the R6 in 2021 (which also added the third dial on top, that I use for iso, closing the circle of "having all the exposure triangle on dials without using buttons/combinations/touch/menu"). And the menu UI is the same since I bought the 5D II, in 2010.

To date I don't remember ever taking a single photo with a non-Canon ILC camera since I laid hand on that Eos 300, 25 years ago; I actually touched a Sony ML, because one of my second shooters uses Sony, while I think I've never physically touched a Nikon ILC camera in those same 25 years.
(But I used film medium format, and was only last summer that I sold my entire Hasselblad V kit after being taking dust for too long).

Canon has always made me feel at home, so I frankly have never even remotely considered not to switch, but to even try something else for the sake of seeing what was on the market; I'm considering a possible switch only in the last couple of years (I thought about Sony when moving from DSLR to ML), but it's just for the third party lens issue.

Other than that, I have to say Canon never let me down, and I have never found anything missing that could lead me to look outside the Canon world when purely looking at camera bodies.
They're just perfect for me, for what I do, for how I do it; I used the same body controls for almost 25 years and the same menu for 14 years; that's what any professional will look at when evaluating a work instrument. I can handle (almost) any Canon ILC of the last 25 years and getting to be using it at 90% of its potential in the next 15 minutes, and refine the buttons and dials muscle memory in half day of work with it. Can't ask for anything better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Indeed. I haven’t been considering a Canon crop sensor system because of the lack of better lenses with faster aperture, specially normal zoom lenses for the system, even though I find my comfort zone with APS-C because of better portability and other reasons.
Sure one can get away with primes as stated, there are plenty of RF primes that can be used with RF-S as well, just no ultra wide option. Even with zoom there’s the 10-20 f4 that becomes a very expensive 16-32 on crop. The new 10-18 is fine, just that. But many users would prefer a faster lens.
No better zoom option to be seen. I still have my G1X III partly because it has that 15-45 f2.8-5.6 lens. The EF-M equivalent is an f3.5-6.3 and no such zoom with RF-S.

And we feel that the R7 is just there to bring more reach for the RF telephoto lenses, just like the 7D II did before it.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Canon seems to differentiate its product lines more than other vendors. Even in the FF segment, the difference between an RF 85mm L and non-L lens is now bigger than it used to be in EF mount. It is a logical consequence to set apart the APS-C segment even more. In the eyes of a product management, it is just a lower end product line. This strategy is going to cost our money and each of us has to decide whether to go into this, especially since the new mount is closed.
True. With RF mount, even the USM motor is reserved for the high end lenses. Wasn’t the case with EF and EF-S in its earlier days.

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
I agree with your comments about product differentiation and APS-C being “the lower end”.
The R10 and R50 are in the BCN top 10 for 2023, so apparently the customers buying these camera’s don’t mind the lack of “high end” RF-S lenses.

Upvote 0