What I would like to see in 2024

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Just give me a RF50mm 1.4 already. M old reliable 35 f2IS is still doing great on my R bodies.

Canon's L prices are simply crazy, and maybe the middle ground will start getting filled out. 10-22 and 24-120 2.8 is great but thy are luxuries.

I haven't bought a single Rf lens yet, and it would be great to purchase one without having to wait for black friday for decent prices.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
hahahaha.

that was actually in the draft, but it got so long I wanted to dive into it a bit more, just to give y'all the chance to tell me that canon knows best. ;)

Tell that to the CPS tech I spoke to that was confused to find out the r62 doesn't have the save your settings feature from the older r5. Before i sent mine in for service, i took pics of EVERY.SINGLE.MENU.PAGE.

Yep, this is canon. Market segmentation rules above all.

Upvote 0
20MP APS-C is the same density as 51MP FF, so virtually identical to the 50MP 5Ds. Or to put it another way (according to the-digital-picture), the 70D had 4.1µm pixels versus the 5Ds's 4.14µm, so within a rounding error.
True, however, the 70D had already been out for over a year when the 5Ds was announced, so when it came out, it didn't leapfrog anything, all it did was catch up to where their leading APS-C sensor already was, and barely a year after the 5Ds came out, the 80D came out with a nice bump to 24MP.

At this point, bumping the full frame pixel density to that of the current 90D, which has been out for over 4 years at this point, gives what feels like a modest bump to ~82MP from the 50MP of the 5DS. I'd much rather see their APS-C line make the jump to 8K UHD resolution, then a follow on with that pixel density in a full frame camera. That would be a significant jump in resolution like what we saw when they went from the 5DIII to the 5DS. It doesn't make any sense to me to reproduce the 80D pixel density as that would be a modest jump at best from 45-50MP to just over 60MP, if they did anything, it'd make sense to either do the current R7 density, or jump up the R7 and full frame at the same time (or close to it).

As it is, pixel densities have gotten to the point that a lot of lenses are diffracted way earlier in the f-stop range than I usually shoot paid work at, so while it's nice to have more pixels, the reality is it's diminishing returns.

Upvote 0
A quibble but I personally doubt millennials figure big in this (though obviously the whole named generation thing is intrinsically problematic). Mostly too young to have used such bodies the first time round, but a bit too old to think they're cool (and would that even count as nostalgia?). Gen X maybe.
I’m gen X and don’t see myself as the target audience. I like my ergonomics right where they are. I do see a retro body pairing nicely with a hipster beard though

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
In France, it means: US price + 19% VAT + 16% custom duties, half a day lost with waiting in a cold or overheated office.
No, thanks!
Edit: I forgot the exchange rate additional penalty.
there's ways to save money on those fees, but if waiting in an office is usual for France I don't know a way to avoid it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
True, however, the 70D had already been out for over a year when the 5Ds was announced, so when it came out, it didn't leapfrog anything, all it did was catch up to where their leading APS-C sensor already was, and barely a year after the 5Ds came out, the 80D came out with a nice bump to 24MP.

At this point, bumping the full frame pixel density to that of the current 90D, which has been out for over 4 years at this point, gives what feels like a modest bump to ~82MP from the 50MP of the 5DS. I'd much rather see their APS-C line make the jump to 8K UHD resolution, then a follow on with that pixel density in a full frame camera. That would be a significant jump in resolution like what we saw when they went from the 5DIII to the 5DS. It doesn't make any sense to me to reproduce the 80D pixel density as that would be a modest jump at best from 45-50MP to just over 60MP, if they did anything, it'd make sense to either do the current R7 density, or jump up the R7 and full frame at the same time (or close to it).

As it is, pixel densities have gotten to the point that a lot of lenses are diffracted way earlier in the f-stop range than I usually shoot paid work at, so while it's nice to have more pixels, the reality is it's diminishing returns.
The 70D and newer were using DPAF, the 5Dses were not DPAF, so the pixel density difference is even larger.

Upvote 0
Since we have about 4 weeks of time to kill: does it include sales tax and does warranty account for huge the Australian prices?
Using the R5 as an example:
USD3399 B&H ex-tax today
AUD5073 @ 1AUD:0.67USD (mid market rate. Generally add additional ~3% for currency conversion)
AUD5580 including Australian 10% GST excluding any freight from the US

To buy in Australia today
AUD4849 from Digidirect including 10% GST and 5 year warranty => 15% saving over US prices.
https://www.digidirect.com.au/canon-eos-r5-mirrorless-camera

R6ii today
USD2299 B&H => AUD3735
AUD3099 Digi => 22% cheaper

RF100-500
USD2599 B&H => AUD4270
AUD4099 Digi => 4% cheaper locally

Where are the "huge Australian prices"? By all means buy from B&H and import if you wish to but good luck managing your 1 year US warranty.

Upvote 0
Easy wishlist:
- Canon f1.4 primes, starting from the 50mm (probably never gonna happen in entire future of R system, at least for the 50mm)
- Tamron 35-150, specifically; it's the very only and single lens that may lead me to switch if it's not coming in the very near future, it's a KEY lens for me
- Third party RF AF lenses, all of them (surely will happen for some; but even more surely Canon will try to control which models will come to market, to avoid conflicts. So I fear about 35, 50 and 85 bright primes)
- I've already said Tamron 35-150?

Upvote 0
Tell that to the CPS tech I spoke to that was confused to find out the r62 doesn't have the save your settings feature from the older r5. Before i sent mine in for service, i took pics of EVERY.SINGLE.MENU.PAGE.

Yep, this is canon. Market segmentation rules above all.

hah. the R6 and R6 Mark II are just completely crazy to me but THAT conversation will come out by the end of the month ;)

Upvote 0