What is Your Most Wanted Canon RF Lens/Camera That Isn't Available?

Most frustrating to me is the lens that IS available - to order, but not actually get - the RF 10-20. It's 5 months and 11 days since the announcement (and ability to "pre-order") yet only a handful of people who jumped online within 2 minutes of the announcement actually have one. And, as neuroanatomist pointed out, Adorama says the expected availability still isn't until sometime in May. B & H won't speculate at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Most frustrating to me is the lens that IS available - to order, but not actually get - the RF 10-20. It's 5 months and 11 days since the announcement (and ability to "pre-order") yet only a handful of people who jumped online within 2 minutes of the announcement actually have one. And, as neuroanatomist pointed out, Adorama says the expected availability still isn't until sometime in May. B & H won't speculate at all.
As I also said, I found one in stock and ordered it. I placed the order on 12-Feb and received the lens on 14-Feb. It took a bit of digging, I had to go pretty far down the list in Google Shopping. The first two stores I called that listed the lens as In Stock on their online storefront didn't actually have the lens, but the third store that I called had one...and now I have it. Sort of a case of making my own luck, but if you really want the lens, there may be one out there for you.

Upvote 0
I've seen them pop up from time to time for a premium well over the Canon price, but that's all. Your digging deep paid off. Meanwhile, I ordered from B & H using my Payboo card to save the sales taxes (in my case $218!) months ago figuring B&H would be among the first to get them in due to the huge amount of business they do with Canon products. Sigh, I have no choice but to have patience.

Upvote 0
For instance, there is currently one available from Tristate Camera on eBay for $2,644.97 + 231.43 (ST) = $2876.40. But in addition to the premium, they are not an authorized Canon dealer so you can't get the 4 year Canon Carepak (which I always get on higher-priced cameras and lenses - it's paid off). Again, sigh, waiting, waiting, waiting...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I've seen them pop up from time to time for a premium well over the Canon price, but that's all. Your digging deep paid off. Meanwhile, I ordered from B & H using my Payboo card to save the sales taxes (in my case $218!) months ago figuring B&H would be among the first to get them in due to the huge amount of business they do with Canon products. Sigh, I have no choice but to have patience.
I've seen those pop up on Amazon from 3rd party sellers. Anyone doing that is not a Canon Authorized Dealer, which could lead to warranty issues down the line (unlikely, but possible), so while I can see the possible temptation to save money going that route, spending more and still taking the risk would be more of a 'need' for a lens than I'd ever have.

Before I called a dealer listing the lens as in stock, I made sure they were on Canon USA's list. FWIW, the small dealers generally only charge sales tax if they're shipping in their own state. The shop I purchased from was in a state other than mine (but a state that does have a sales tax), and they did not charge me any tax or shipping, so all I paid was list price for the lens (making it my responsibility to declare the purchase when I file my state taxes next year).

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
You created your own "luck", that's great, I hope you're having fun with the lens!
The RF 10-20 mm f4 has been a challenging lens to obtain as you and others have pointed out. I waited six weeks to get the second copy from my local shop. On the release day my local shop only received one copy of the lens which is atypical because usually they get 2-3 copies.

Upvote 0