A Bit More About the New “Big White” Lenses Coming from Canon [CR3]

Re: A Bit More About the New \

RGF said:
the lack of discussion of the 600 DO is interesting. The DO would be a great weight reduction improvement

A 600mm f4 DO that took external extenders like the 400 DO does would be at the top of my wish list, canon just needs to produce them already. Maybe they are planning to tie release with the 7Diii or full mirrorless one FM1, or even 1DXiii.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com

Keith_Reeder said:
JMZawodny said:

Not much use for your selfies and Facebook cat pics, then?

Cute!

No, I do not find the weight of either my 300mm or 500mm to be excessive. I also think it would difficult to improve on their optical performance. Personally, I was hoping for either an update to the 200f2 or the release of the 600DO. I'd like a longer lens if it was no heavier than the 500. I doubt the 600 could lose that much without going DO.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com

62354970.jpg

Upvote 0

Probably just enough of an upgrade to crush the resale value of my 600 II. Thanks Canon ;). A 600 DO might be nice but not sure how significant the weight and size reduction would be and there would certainly be some cost to the IQ. The 400 f4 DO is not a particularly long or fast lens and gets a pass on IQ since there isn't another natural telephoto for comparison. That won't be the case at 600. As a function of focal length, I think the 600 f4's are the fastest lens Canon has ever made so the front optic will be a monster regardless. It will also require a similar hood. The 600 II's hood is almost the size of the 400 f4 DO all by itself. I'd like something lighter but I use the 600 II for it's imaging properties. Not because its convenient. I'd only upgrade if the new lens offered some really compelling advantage. Doubt I'd be tempted by DO alone.

Upvote 0
Re: A Bit More About the New Big White Lenses That Are Coming

Could not justify buying the 300mm f/2.8 IS L II on its improved optics over the original (although the arrival of the 5DS/R did move the post a little). However, it did bring some other advantages; better handling, lower weight, IS mode III, a much more silent IS motor etc. that I have valued.

Think it will prove very, very to justify buying a possible 300mm f/2.8 IS L III unless Canon does something akin to "magic" like a massive weight reduction (>400g).

Optically, I cannot see the current 300mm f/2.8 IS L II being beat by any kind of margin that would indicate a reason to upgrade. Its Canon's best performer imho.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

People need to read the post. These are version III lenses. That means they aren't going to be DO or have built-in converters or anything else that makes them significantly different from the II versions.

These are not aimed at people who already own the II versions. Canon does not expect you to upgrade. These will be substituted in the line up for the IIs, just like the 70-200 f2.8 III. Target market are new buyers and professionals whose use cases involve lots of heavy use and abuse (think sports photographers) and who may need a replacement for an older, well-used model.

Still, that doesn't keep me from hoping that we might see a few of the II versions in the used/refurbished market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

scyrene said:
YuengLinger said:
Waiting to learn more about the FF mirrorless mount.

I don't see what bearing that has on this. If they're version III lenses, they are EF (that's how the numbering goes). Which means Canon is expecting EF to have another good few years left (which should surprise nobody).

Congratulations! You've just hit the nail on the head. It could very well be that the only reason Canon is "updating" nearly optimal lenses is to reassure those thinking of buying now that EF will be around for a few more years.

For those who doubt there would be a reason to upgrade from version II to version III, you aren't the target buyers.

I really think this explains several of the head-scratcher minimal updates we have seen and are hearing rumors about.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

YuengLinger said:
scyrene said:
YuengLinger said:

I don't see what bearing that has on this. If they're version III lenses, they are EF (that's how the numbering goes). Which means Canon is expecting EF to have another good few years left (which should surprise nobody).

Congratulations! You've just hit the nail on the head. It could very well be that the only reason Canon is "updating" nearly optimal lenses is to reassure those thinking of buying now that EF will be around for a few more years.

For those who doubt there would be a reason to upgrade from version II to version III, you aren't the target buyers.

I really think this explains several of the head-scratcher minimal updates we have seen and are hearing rumors about.

Yes.....

Recently Canon has updated the 100-400, the 70-200’s, and now some big whites are next..... Somehow, people will determine that this means EF is dead.....

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Don Haines said:
YuengLinger said:
scyrene said:
YuengLinger said:

Yes.....

Recently Canon has updated the 100-400, the 70-200’s, and now some big whites are next..... Somehow, people will determine that this means EF is dead.....

Clearly the 100-400mm, released two years ago as a complete revision of its predecessor, is not part of the discussion, Don. It's the very minimal, gratuitous "updates" we've seen in the past year which suggest that Canon, feeling some heat about mirrorless, is trying to keep the EF line going until a transition is acheived.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

YuengLinger said:
Don Haines said:
YuengLinger said:
scyrene said:
YuengLinger said:

Yes.....

Clearly the 100-400mm, released two years ago as a complete revision of its predecessor, is not part of the discussion, Don. It's the very minimal, gratuitous "updates" we've seen in the past year which suggest that Canon, feeling some heat about mirrorless, is trying to keep the EF line going until a transition is acheived.

Any L lens with fluorite elements is a couple years to bring to production and needs several years sales to recover costs. Changing mounts is a huge thing.... any decision would have been made at least 5 years ago, more likely closer to 10 years.... if they were about to abandon the lensmount, we would have been complaining about no new lenses for at least 5 years.... Remember Olympus and abandoning the 4/3 mount for micro 4/3? 4 or 5 years with no new lenses before they pulled the plug......

Some people feel that Canon must make a Sony sized FF body to compete with Sony, but when you factor in the lens sizes, there is very little difference in kit size, yet you have abandoned the ergonomics that make Canon a better choice than Sony. You don’t fight a battle according to the enemies strengths and Canon is smart enough to realize that. If you want the ultimate in quality, you need FF sensors, big glass, and the ergonomics and controls to allow you to properly operate the camera. If you want small size, forget FF, go crop, and use some F6.3 kit lenses....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

An annoying aspect of the minor lens upgrades is that Canon will only repair a lens for about seven years after it's discontinued. After that you either have to upgrade to the new lens or hope that one of the independent repair shops will have the parts to repair the old model. One of those shops states on their website "Canon discontinued authorizing all service centers on newer products as they came out starting with the L-Series II Lenses and Flash EX II series."

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

gcrimmins said:
An annoying aspect of the minor lens upgrades is that Canon will only repair a lens for about seven years after it's discontinued...

I know that's often been said here on CR and assume that is Canon's official policy, but I wonder if anyone has any actual experience with this, especially regarding the big whites. I'm sure Canon eventually runs out of replacement parts, but I also think it would be bad customer relations for them if they stick to an arbitrary time frame for the expensive big whites.

Anyone have any actual experience with Canon not fixing an older big white? And how old are we talking?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

YuengLinger said:
scyrene said:
YuengLinger said:

I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of the people complaining will never be the market (or in the market) for this focal length from Canon, version II or version III or DO. Complaining is more a hobby to them than photography. I think it's called "posing". Wild hogs!!!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

YuengLinger said:
There will be two FF mounts. They will exist together for a time. And then there will be one.

Time frame? No idea.

So, quite a while before "I told you so!" from either side of the question.

When? 2030? 2040? Not anytime soon unless these updates are to make a mount change on the lens easier. Pretty safe bet you made there... or maybe not.

Upvote 0