A bit of a refresher on what’s next from Canon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The pandemic has certainly changed the cycle of product announcements and getting the gear to market. I see some positive things with stock on the EOS R5 and EOS R6 and hopefully, there are plenty of the Canon Cinema EOS C70 cameras to go around in November. The preorders for the latter have been really positive.
A lot of you continue to ask what’s up next from Canon. I do these posts from time-to-time as a reminder and hopefully bring some clarity to things.
Near Future Cameras:
Canon Cinema EOS C50
This was apparently supposed to be announced alongside the Canon Cinema EOS C70 but has been delayed, likely due to manufacturing challenges. For the moment, I do expect to see this camera until the first quarter of...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I wonder if the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM will replace the Nifty Fifty that you can buy for around 125 $.
I don't really expect it to be as cheap as it's EF counterpart, but if Canon is able to keep the EF 50mm on the market, why not it's RF sister?
I hope so too.

I also wonder if that 24mm 2.8 will be a pancake?

-Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
I wonder if the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM will replace the Nifty Fifty that you can buy for around 125 $.
I don't really expect it to be as cheap as it's EF counterpart, but if Canon is able to keep the EF 50mm on the market, why not it's RF sister?
It will certainly be on the "cheaper end", as it is not an L lens. But it will not "replace" the EF version, it will just complement it - the EF version will still be available (for obvious reasons).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thanks for the update. I was hoping to hear more about the 70-135 f2L development, but it's good to hear you mention it so we know it's something you're looking out for. I was hoping we might get something like a 105 f1.8L for portraits, but I guess that's not in the works.

I suppose the best news we could get is if they're getting their R5, batteries, and 100-500L f4.5-7.1 out in enough volume to meet demand, but I guess that's not going to happen soon - sigh.

Oh well, thanks for the update anyway! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I hope so too.

I also wonder if that 24mm 2.8 will be a pancake?

-Brian
The chance for this 24mm to be a pancake is close to zero - it has IS and Macro functionality which increase the lens dimensions. A 24mm pancake would have another disadvantage: The incident angle of light is large so more reflected light = vast vignetting.
But I appreciate the idea of having lots of image stabilized Macro lenses - I really like my RF 35mm as a general purpose lens!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I think this RF 50mm will be the nifty fifty in RF-land - maybe they have been able to reduce the number of lens sheets or do some other tricks to keep the price low but increasing the IQ or doing some magic in terms of small size. They omitted IS and Macro so good chance to be very compact.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Very excited to get more concrete on the C50.
I think there are a few more months to go to maybe at some point they will announce the development and add in a single picture of what it looks from the front.

It probably has the same relation to the C200 as the C70 has to the C300 III
So it will have the same sensor, same 8-bit 4:2:0 codecs with 4k60p and 1080p120p without RAW to SD cards. I would expect it to be a shrink-down C70 body as it will have the same internal ND.
Maybe it will look a bit like an R6 built together with the vertical grip to accomodate the two LP-E6NH batteries.

Hopefully it will cost half as much as the C200 (that would be 2750$) but the price is already discounted on that, so it may not go under 3000$, maybe around 3500$ as previously rumoured. It would be nice for the lowest new entry to be as cheap as possible to invite more people into the Cinema EOS System.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
My thoughts exactly when I read that. I just traded in my ef-s 24mm Pancake to upgrade to my R6

Having IS, I seriously doubt that it will a pancake. Plus, as you mention, the 24mm pancake was for crop-sensor cameras. I don't think I've seen a modern full-frame pancake lens that was less than 28mm. Of course, the past need have no bearing on the future.
EDIT: Someone already addressed this question.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0