A Canon DSLR First Coming to EOS 5D Mark IV [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
Michael Clark said:
neuroanatomist said:
Michael Clark said:
neuroanatomist said:
Mikehit said:
Actually the bigger improvement would be curved sensors to reduce/avoid the need for the full panoply of corrective elements needed for a rectilinear lens.

IIRC, Sony patented something like that a while back, though I believe the intent was for a fixed-lens camera rather than an ILC.

Wouldn't the radius of curvature need to equal the focal length? Which means any particular sensor would only work with a single focal length...

No, it wouldn't. Just as current optical designs project a planar image regardless of focal length (although some fail, e.g. the original 24-70/2.8L's notable field curvature), lenses of different focal lengths could be designed to produce the same fixed curvature of the image 'plane'. However, it would be challenging for longer lenses and for zooms.

But isn't the entire point to begin with of a curved sensor to eliminate the need for lens correction? In terms of things such as field curvature, etc.

To eliminate some corrections and have a more compact, simpler lens, yes. You're correct about that applying to lens focal lengths which 'match' the sensor curvature. Designing lenses with other FLs would mean giving up those advantages. But as I stated above, it appeared the primary intent was a fixed lens application (similar to Sony's RX-1, but also smaller sensors – such as an iPhone where the lens doesn't need to protrude from the back of the device).

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
gibbygoo said:
Dunno what they're so excited to share, but I can say with confidence that DSLRs will continue to be a joke for serious video production (real commercial work, not film school BS). The 5d4 will shoot 4K at 30p, just like my phone does. Wow. And of course it will do so to a sloppy 4:2:0 8bit Long GOP p.o.s. h264 codec. There will be no option for XLR inputs. There will most certainly be no ND filters. I also expect no peaking and no zebra controls.

If Canon made a video-centric 5D Mark IV-s with internal 422 10-bit intra with 120fps+, and coupled that with proprietary EVF, XLR and ND modules (a la Red), the video production market would rejoice. They could build such a camera. Even at $5,000, it would sell like hot cakes. I'd dump my Sony Fs7 in a heartbeat. I'd invest more in Canon glass. But alas, Canon is stupid in their marketing and product development, so screw it. Life would be so much easier if I didn't love the Canon glass and color science.

Say that again.... now:

4:2:2
8bit 500mbps MJPEG

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Don Haines said:
rrcphoto said:
Another possibility is 16 bit raw

Consider if Canon does not do so, the theoretical maximum is around 13.5 ev from 14 bit.

Which is what the 1dx hits.
This is what I expect......

The extra two bits of data would add quite the load to processing. Depends whether we see a whole new Digic 7 chip or not. Could also be another reason why we only get a +1fps change from the 5D3 even gicen the 30MP instead of 22-24. Oh isn't speculation fun?! :p

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
PureClassA said:
Don Haines said:
rrcphoto said:
Another possibility is 16 bit raw

Consider if Canon does not do so, the theoretical maximum is around 13.5 ev from 14 bit.

Which is what the 1dx hits.
This is what I expect......

The extra two bits of data would add quite the load to processing. Depends whether we see a whole new Digic 7 chip or not. Could also be another reason why we only get a +1fps change from the 5D3 even gicen the 30MP instead of 22-24. Oh isn't speculation fun?! :p

It would make 1 fps difference

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
noms78 said:
My predictions (one of more of the following):

- automated AFMA
- hybrid viewfinder
- BSI sensor

I doubt BSI .. besides it's only a buzzword that gets techno geeks in flames over, and for a DSLR registration distance camera doesn't change much.

the other two? sure.

it's actually hard to figure out a list of things that canon has NOT done in a DSLR.. two more to add to that list:

zebras and focus peaking.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
well ..

from the pictures
- hybrid EVF/OVF .. unlikely. no buttons for it, and pentaprism / viewfinder looks the same as the III.
- hotshoe EVF .. No. hotshoe connector is the same as other canon EOS and not the same as the EOS-M3, G3x,etc

those two things I find greatly disappointing.

Interesting... that would be a good feature to have on the SLR. A hotshoe to be able to use the EV1 electronic viewfinder.

Would work great for low light venue recordings you could keep the back screen off and just have the viewfinder ON.... keeps it dark.

Nice Idea!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
So far I see a new feature that lets you edit the raw dual pixel's?? I'm guessing that you would now have access to edit each half of the dual pixel? That is certainly interesting. The translation may be confusing the meaning, but it is certainly a new feature, and potentially a powerful one.

Canon EOS 5 d Mark IV specifications is as follows.

-Enable 30.4 MP CMOS sensor
-Dual-pixel CMOS AF
-Unprecedented cleanup adjustable dual pixels RAW files
-AF's 61 points
-150,000 pixels RGB+IR metering sensor
-Filter
-Continuous shooting is 7 frames per second
-ISO100-102400 (extended sensitivity)
-Touch screen
-Dust proof splash-proof
-Video is 4 K 30 fps
-4 K video from 8MP JPEG still image segmentation.
-120 fps slow-mo for HD video
-Time lapse movie
-Built-in GPS
-Wi-Fi, NFC
-The media's SD/SDHC/SDXC and Compact Flash TypeII
-USB3.0 and HDMI terminals
-Size 150.7 mm x 116.4 mm x 75.9 mm
-Weighs 890 g

Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
So far I see a new feature that lets you edit the raw dual pixel's?? I'm guessing that you would now have access to edit each half of the dual pixel? That is certainly interesting. The translation may be confusing the meaning, but it is certainly a new feature, and potentially a powerful one.

Canon EOS 5 d Mark IV specifications is as follows.

-Unprecedented cleanup adjustable dual pixels RAW files

Agreed... this would be pretty sick.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the new camera will have a DSLR first from Canon, but the source was unsure if any other manufacturer has or will have the same feature in one of their cameras. While we’re told that the feature “isn’t major”, it is something “a lot of shooters will be happy to have”.

So now that the announcement has been made and the feature list released, can you tell us exactly which feature it was to which your source was referring?

Upvote 0