A Canon DSLR Rumor Roundup Heading into 2018

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
SecureGSM said:
tron, if 80D sensor is something to go by, then we can expect 5DsR II sensor to be 60+ Mb in size. 7 fps seems a bit too much for such a resolution. 5fps or 6 fps I would imagine.

tron said:
5DsR MkII could keep the same Mpixel count, get the 5DIV sensor technology (or better) and increase the fps from 5 to 7 (with an increase in buffer space and possibly a UHS-II SD card). If they do that I believe they will have a worthy opponent of D850...
If they kept it at 50Mp 7fps could be more realistic. Remember that 5DsR has dual digic and I see no reason why the update wouldn't have (including a newer digic). I know I am at a thin line between realism and wishful thinking but I mentioned what I believe would make it a worthy D850 opponent...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
RickSpringfield said:
Here's hoping that Canon consolidates all of the 5D camera bodies into a single camera called the 'Canon 5DSr Mark II'.

It seems possible to make a FF camera with high megapixels, without an AA filter, include a headphone jack/focus peaking/zebras/useable encoded full sensor 4k, WiFi, GPS, 7-9 FPS for stills, a flippy touch screen, weather seal it, and include in body image stabilization, the ability to shoot at a lower RAW MP if/when wanted/needed, and dual card slots.

Charge the 3700$ if they must (Although 2899$ would be a huge hit).

I think that camera would get critical acclaim and also bring IQ focused enthusiasts to Canon. I'm not convinced that the promise of smaller size bodies and lenses for mirrorless is enough on its own to bring people over. I think Sony is drawing people in because hybrid shooting is more prevalent than ever and enthusiasts would rather have the ability to shoot in this hybrid video/photo manner vs. being forced into 2 separate devices... one body for photos, one body for video.

Canon built the hybrid shooter market with the 5D Mark II. They could win all of that back with a release like the above.

I don't think that makes sense and I, personally, don't want it.

I have said for a long time three 5D models makes most sense to me:-
1: A video centric 5DC, lower resolution optimized for video, C Log, peaking, zebras, blah blah.
2: The general purpose 5D Mk!, most people don't want mega high resolution or pay a video premium, they want an optimized general purpose camera with a decent framerate (that doesn't require $916 worth of extras to achieve) and resolution high enough for general outputs yet small enough to work with in event type volume, along with mid level video features just because.
3: 5DSR Mk! An out and out photographer centric body with the 'best' high resolution sensor Canon can make in any generation.

R&D costs will be spread across the three lower selling bodies and savings could be made with some shared components. But as it makes sense to me it is certain to not happen!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:
canon already pre-announced what the 5DS R II will be.

it's 120MP. you just don't do a public corporate news announcement on development of a product for nothing.

You're so right. That 120 MP sensor will pair nicely with that new 600mm DO lens I picked up. ::)

Not everything at Canon Expo (a) will make it to market and (b) is intended for general photography use. Such a sensor might be a better fit industrial or security applications and we might not see it in a traditional camera body for many years.

It's also possible that those that will give top dollar for the highest possible detail in an FF rig are far far far fewer than those that will do the same for a more balanced rig (fps, better low light performance, etc.). Consider: Nikon only jumped from 36 to 45MP despite (apparently) having 400+ MP/s throughput capability. They could have just as easily churned out an 80 MP x 5 fps rig for the D850, but they apparently either wanted a classic 'best' balance of detail/fps or 80 MP output didn't produce the output they wanted.

I just don't think we'll see a stratospheric bump in resolution with the 5DSR 2 like that. I'd guess 'more' MP broadly, but not a figure that high.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
RickSpringfield said:
Here's hoping that Canon consolidates all of the 5D camera bodies into a single camera called the 'Canon 5DSr Mark II'.

It seems possible to make a FF camera with high megapixels, without an AA filter, include a headphone jack/focus peaking/zebras/useable encoded full sensor 4k, WiFi, GPS, 7-9 FPS for stills, a flippy touch screen, weather seal it, and include in body image stabilization, the ability to shoot at a lower RAW MP if/when wanted/needed, and dual card slots.

I think that camera would get critical acclaim and also bring IQ focused enthusiasts to Canon. I'm not convinced that the promise of smaller size bodies and lenses for mirrorless is enough on its own to bring people over. I think Sony is drawing people in because hybrid shooting is more prevalent than ever and enthusiasts would rather have the ability to shoot in this hybrid video/photo manner vs. being forced into 2 separate devices... one body for photos, one body for video.

Canon built the hybrid shooter market with the 5D Mark II. They could win all of that back with a release like the above.

Remarkable how 'wishlisters' casually throw in comments like '3,700 if they must but 2,900 would be great'. Make it sound like 3,700 for a body like that is excessive. And then just knock of 1,000 bucks for the hell of it. But why stop there - why not 2,000. Or why not ask for a 100MP 1Dx2 for the cost of a Rebel?

I agree that Sony is drawing people. But mainly those for whom 4K video in a stills camera is essential - and what many fail to realise is they are precious few. Growing, yes, but a small increase in a small market area looks great, doesn't it.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:
canon already pre-announced what the 5DS R II will be.

it's 120MP. you just don't do a public corporate news announcement on development of a product for nothing.

You're so right. That 120 MP sensor will pair nicely with that new 600mm DO lens I picked up. ::)

canon never did a product development announcement for the 600 DO.

they did so for both CINI EOS 8K and 120MP DSLR. it's an issued official press / news annoucement from Canon Japan that it is in development. The actual statement stated "now being developed" not "will be developed" not "is being considered for development" but "now being developed".

Canon has officially stated a 1 series body takes around 3 years to develop. Assuming a proverbial 5D body takes the same amount of time, we are looking at 2018. I doubt anyone is going to suggest that a 1 series will take less time than a 5D.

Since statements of this nature are legally binding because it can bear weight on stock price, far more care is given to that than a prototype mockup at a show.

Canon Inc. announced today that it is developing a Cinema EOS System 8K camera and professional-use 8K reference display that will support the production of next-generation 8K video content, along with a still-image single-lens reflex camera equipped with a CMOS sensor featuring approximately 120 million effective pixels.

"Featuring a resolution of approximately 120 effective megapixels, the SLR camera now being developed will incorporate a Canon-developed high-pixel-density CMOS sensor within the current EOS-series platform, which will realize compatibility with the Company's diverse interchangeable EF lens lineup."

this isn't any .. IMO, I think that.. rumor or whatnot etc,etc. this is an official statement from Canon Inc.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:
RickSpringfield said:

1: A video centric 5DC, lower resolution optimized for video, C Log, peaking, zebras, blah blah.
2: The general purpose 5D Mk!, most people don't want mega high resolution or pay a video premium, they want an optimized general purpose camera with a decent framerate (that doesn't require $916 worth of extras to achieve) and resolution high enough for general outputs yet small enough to work with in event type volume, along with mid level video features just because.
3: 5DSR Mk! An out and out photographer centric body with the 'best' high resolution sensor Canon can make in any generation.

R&D costs will be spread across the three lower selling bodies and savings could be made with some shared components. But as it makes sense to me it is certain to not happen!

those segments really make sense .. I'm actually surprised canon doesn't do a 12MP 4K 5DC just to shut up the 4K whiners ;) :p

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
privatebydesign said:
RickSpringfield said:

those segments really make sense .. I'm actually surprised canon doesn't do a 12MP 4K 5DC just to shut up the 4K whiners ;) :p

Maybe the 4k crowd isn't actually that big. Just very loud.

Upvote 0
RickSpringfield said:
Mikehit said:
RickSpringfield said:

Remarkable how 'wishlisters' casually throw in comments like '3,700 if they must but 2,900 would be great'. Make it sound like 3,700 for a body like that is excessive. And then just knock of 1,000 bucks for the hell of it. But why stop there - why not 2,000. Or why not ask for a 100MP 1Dx2 for the cost of a Rebel?

I agree that Sony is drawing people. But mainly those for whom 4K video in a stills camera is essential - and what many fail to realise is they are precious few. Growing, yes, but a small increase in a small market area looks great, doesn't it.

Its ok if you don't like my perspective ... but that doesn't make it wrong. A $2899 price would certainly draw in more people than a $3700 price.

That doesn't make it a good decision. A $20000 Lexus would draw in more people than $40000, but that doesn't make it realistic.

Upvote 0