A Canon EOS R7 C is on the way, but not in 2022 [CR3]

Slightly concerned that "C-versions" of cameras will holdup video-based advancements in the "normal" lines, but doubt Canon cares about any of that short term. Any major advancement in cooling capabilities would go pretty far with combining these lines in the future.

Same. I’ve been very eagerly awaiting the announcements of the C500, C300 and C700 updates and it’s been crickets (besides the rumors here) outside of these hybrids.

It *seemed* like there was a tease on this article about some further info on these being released today but I guess we’ll see.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Slightly concerned that "C-versions" of cameras will holdup video-based advancements in the "normal" lines, but doubt Canon cares about any of that short term. Any major advancement in cooling capabilities would go pretty far with combining these lines in the future.

Do agree the RF APS-C lens lineup is a bit blah at the moment, but also think that somewhat trickles over to the entire RF "budget" lineup too. The F6.3, F7.1 & F8 lenses are just not great options with video. Great range with RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM, but most end up stopping down with variable aperture, so shooting at F6.3 max like this is not ideal. Cheapest RF native that really is useable for video is probably the $1300 RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.
I'm just going to keep using my Sigma EF & EF-S lenses with the adapter..

Upvote 0
Ordered the R7 but still waiting for delivery - should I cancel for the R7 C ?
  • Yes: R7 C might give 2 fps ... 20 fps for time lapse
  • No: R7 C might no have the IBIS subsystem
  • Yes: it would be better to have two identical bodies, here two R7 C
  • No: R7 plus R7 C might go together for different tasks
  • etc etc etc
In the end I will get my R7 and use it for 1 year plus X till we see the R7 C. Hopefully both
cameras are similar enough to be used in a two body setup.

Upvote 0
I guess my first question is why? But I'm not a video guy.

The more the merrier I guess.

Brian

I think that's the next step. As fps and sensor readouts becomes faster these C cameras will become the norm in the future. We are just in a transitional state, it all started with the move to mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Do agree the RF APS-C lens lineup is a bit blah at the moment, but also think that somewhat trickles over to the entire RF "budget" lineup too. The F6.3, F7.1 & F8 lenses are just not great options with video. Great range with RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM, but most end up stopping down with variable aperture, so shooting at F6.3 max like this is not ideal. Cheapest RF native that really is useable for video is probably the $1300 RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.
Surely, if you really want/need advanced video features then it just makes more sense to buy the C versions?

All cameras from here onwards will be hybrids, but some e.g. "R5S" will be more heavily orientated towards stills, and others e.g. R5C and "R7C" will be primarily video cameras.

It makes more sense to me, as a customer, to have that choice, and as long as it is profitable for Canon (etc) to run parallel video-orientated and stills-orientated hybrids, I don't see any major problems. I only shoot stills, but I'm glad that the video facility is there, in case I want to use it on some future occasion.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think that's the next step. As fps and sensor readouts becomes faster these C cameras will become the norm in the future. We are just in a transitional state, it all started with the move to mirrorless.
Yes I agree, we are very much in a transitional state. At the moment I think it's only Canon that has had the sense to use different interfaces (in the R5C) for stills and video, but that has to be the way forward, in order to simplify usage and reduce clutter in the menus and EVF. In 5 years time I think all new cameras will be "C" types. A combination of global shutter, faster readouts, more powerful processors and increasing use of AI tech and in-camera image-merging should make many things possible.

A few random thoughts:

Stills and video ideally need different AF algorithms and tracking systems, as well as different interfaces and different stabilisation processes, but that's easy to incorporate when stills and video options are completely switchable within one camera. Hopefully Canon, Nikon and Sony will all have the sense to follow the examples from Panasonic and Fujifilm by fitting rear screens that can tilt on-axis for stills, but also flip out for video, and reverse for protection too. Then, stills shooters will no longer be able to complain about video stuff intruding or distracting them. Advanced video and stills shooters will have everything they want, in a single camera, with no compromises made.

But I also think FF cameras are just a temporary phase, because so much more in terms of AI can be done with smaller formats, as demonstrated by smartphones, and by the latest M43 cameras -

At the moment the main limiting factor of M43 is the 20-25MP resolution, but if really fast readouts and very fast burst rates (100fps) can be achieved, it should ultimately be possible to use pixel-shift even for *some* moving subjects. (imagine shooting a 5-shot sequence in 1/20 second, having them aligned and merged in-camera, and output a couple of seconds later). It would also enable very fast processing of in-camera focus stacking, HDR and other processes which require multiple sequential images to be merged. Another by product of image-merging is that it reduces another "problem" associated with smaller formats, i.e. luminance noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
How about you deliver the R7 first, get through supply chain stuff, and then start teasing these things. I'm sitting on backorder despite pre-ordering within minutes of the page going live at B&H.
You know, this is a rumors site, completely unaffiliated with Canon, and the R7C is a rumor. CanonRumors's job is to publish rumors, and they can't help with Canon's supply chain issues in any way whatsoever. Unless you imply that dropping rumors about coming projects is a part of Canon's officially sanctioned marketing strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I guess my first question is why? But I'm not a video guy.

The more the merrier I guess.

Brian
I am a video guy and I have a mix of full frame and S35 cameras. One of the things that made me decide to get an R5C was that you could use it in both full frame and S35 modes and get a nice, oversampled 4K 10bit 422 output in both modes. The R5C is the only oversampled S35 4K cinema camera that Canon has. I'm not sure what a crop frame mirrorless cinema camera will provide other than maybe a cheaper price point. But it would have to be significantly cheaper because I'm not sure why people would want to give up the option of using full frame even if their preference is for S35.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
You know, this is a rumors site, completely unaffiliated with Canon, and the R7C is a rumor. CanonRumors's job is to publish rumors, and they can't help with Canon's supply chain issues in any way whatsoever. Unless you imply that dropping rumors about coming projects is a part of Canon's officially sanctioned marketing strategy.
I think @AccipiterQ knows full well that he is not talking to Canon but is just venting. And yes, to some degree dropping rumors is part of canon’s marketing strategy. Not directly, but by looking the other way when leaks occur.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
…I'm not sure what a crop frame mirrorless cinema camera will provide other than maybe a cheaper price point. But it would have to be significantly cheaper because I'm not sure why people would want to give up the option of using full frame even if their preference is for S35.
Price might be a big factor since Canon just raised the price of the R5C by $300.

• Sad
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think @AccipiterQ knows full well that he is not talking to Canon but is just venting. And yes, to some degree dropping rumors is part of canon’s marketing strategy. Not directly, but by looking the other way when leaks occur.
I don't believe in accidental "leaks", I think it's part of almost every manufacturer's policy during the pre-production period, to deliberately "leak" information in the hope that it will a) prevent people buying alternative brands, and b) stimulate interest from existing users. Just a variation on "teasers", IMO.

Manufacturers will use every promotional tool available to them these days, whether its "leaks", "teasers" or "influencers".

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I don't believe in accidental "leaks", I think it's part of almost every manufacturer's policy during the pre-production period, to deliberately "leak" information in the hope that it will a) prevent people buying alternative brands, and b) stimulate interest from existing users. Just a variation on "teasers", IMO.

Manufacturers will use every promotional tool available to them these days, whether its "leaks", "teasers" or "influencers".
Plenty of leaks come from reviewers and camera stores

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Plenty of leaks come from reviewers and camera stores
Yes, reviewers can break NDA's and camera stores can leak specs based on what manufacturers have already told them, but manufacturers are fully aware that this information will be leaked. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it's pretty safe to say that the only information that manufacturers allow out is what they want to let out. Canon and Nikon are among the worst offenders in this regard - I'm convinced that they deliberately "allow" certain information to be leaked. It's all part of a calculated build-up to the release of a product, starting with leaks, and followed by teasers. Then when the product is finally officially announced, the paid influencers get to work. Yep, I'm cynical.

Upvote 0
How about you deliver the R7 first, get through supply chain stuff, and then start teasing these things. I'm sitting on backorder despite pre-ordering within minutes of the page going live at B&H.
I too have a backorder for a R7 body but with a mid American company. For profit reasons, surely, Canon shipped more kits (from info I have been hearing and talking to some dealers).

Upvote 0