A Canon Supertelephoto Zoom Lens Coming with EOS 6D Mark II? [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
AvTvM said:
This is a K.O. criterion for me and anybody who needs to zoom IN or OUT fast and correctly on the first attempt in order to get the shot.

I've used Tamron lenses before. It's really not that difficult.
I had to go check my Tammy..... he is right! It does zoom the wrong way :)
I just got so used to using it that it became automatic to me and I stopped noticing....

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
unfocused said:
AvTvM said:
This is a K.O. criterion for me and anybody who needs to zoom IN or OUT fast and correctly on the first attempt in order to get the shot.
I've used Tamron lenses before. It's really not that difficult.

i have owned and used Tamron lenses before. It is a major PITA. I have sold my Tamron zooms because of that (and no IS at the time). And to me it is a matter of principle too: if Tamron wants to sell lenses to Canon users, they better suck up to them instead of trying to force wrong Nikon ways on them. It takes so very little to match zoom ring turn direction to lens mount: 1 different cog wheel and reversed lettering on zoom ring. Tamron has to step up to it, just like Sigma did. Especially, since Canon EF mount is market leading.

Very stupid, Tamron!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Don Haines said:
I had to go check my Tammy..... he is right! It does zoom the wrong way :)
I just got so used to using it that it became automatic to me and I stopped noticing....

No problem which way they turn, as long as all the lenses in use turn the same direction! But most Canon users will also have Canon zoom and mixing those with wrong turn zooms causes problems, if you zoom the wrong direction on first attempt ... in fast paced moments it leads to lost shots.

And again: it is a matter of principle! Canon rulez, so Tamron has to play by Canon rules. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
The point is, on a telephoto lens, the parameter of primary importance is the aperture, since that ultimately controls both light gathering ability and resolving power.

Aperture ultimately controls resolving power?????

Yes - resolving power is ultimately limited by diffraction and diffraction is limited by aperture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution#Explanation

Upvote 0
I think a 200-600mm f4-5.6L would be very large, heavy and expensive.

Having used the 100-400mm MKII for a few months, I would rather see another upgrade than the above, as follows, make it an f4-5.6 (I hate lenses that don't have full stop maximum apertures, and this the only one I have ever had), the long end needs a little improvement in quality, then build in the 1.4x extender as the 200-400mm f4L.
You could then zoom from 100mm to 560mm without having to carry an extender, and for me would cover a better range than the above lens.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
There is a bit of a pricing mystery here.

Plot the focal length/aperature on a piece of paper and dropping in a usable 200-600 for even $2k clips the knees out of alot of the primes that are.... well not $2k. I know they are 1 stop faster.

Getting focal range coverage at the minimum price, and then how much would it cost to buy an extra stop across the range?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
colinrb said:
I think a 200-600mm f4-5.6L would be very large, heavy and expensive.

Having used the 100-400mm MKII for a few months, I would rather see another upgrade than the above, as follows, make it an f4-5.6 (I hate lenses that don't have full stop maximum apertures, and this the only one I have ever had), the long end needs a little improvement in quality, then build in the 1.4x extender as the 200-400mm f4L.
You could then zoom from 100mm to 560mm without having to carry an extender, and for me would cover a better range than the above lens.

Canon made a full frame 150-600 f5.6L, you can buy them on eBay for between $3,000-$10,000. It is manual focus and even the youngest ones are over twenty years old.

P.S. This one has been converted to EF from FD mount.

Attachments

• wp9a47747b_05_06.jpg
    wp9a47747b_05_06.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 455
Upvote 0