A grateful end to the DSLR video "revolution"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the thoughtful replies in this thread. However, I think it's a mistake to look at this from just one angle, and assume that the technology is democratic. The technology cares not what ends it is used in search of; the people who battle for their right to enjoy their livelihood - their freedom, democracy - make that distinction. One does not become a slave to technology, however, but they may already be a slave to ideas that deny them the full effect of their soapbox. Ironically, I feel that many pro photographers' laser-etched focus on the final image cuts themselves out of the picture, suffering the indignity of seeming irrelevance that the founders of the field never suffered. But - I'm sure that ship has already sailed, and who could imagine Walter Iooss or another sports photog invited to joke around with the ESPN crew. Some things perhaps can't be changed, even if they should.

The complaint of the original pro photog reminds me of Harlan Ellison on getting paid. And interestingly, I found the link again on a digital photography website. Furthermore, one of the top rated comments purports to be from an industry pro or insider.

It's true that the tools are helping a lot of people get into photography - lower prices have let me get into it with nearly professional-level tools, for example. We all know that there is not just a trend to mediocrity when prices and demand force a field wide open, but that there's also a lot of real talent out there. It's in most industries, too - everything from cartooning to even research writing has been impacted by the appearance of (the obvious one) affordable computerized assistance. No more does Robert Crumb have to slave over drawings and intricately shade them - you can do all that and more in any of a wild variety of paint applications, some of which even double as instant messengers within internet browsers. Instant feedback; endless ramifications. If Robert Crumb were starting today, you'd have to wonder what his new inspirations would be. If something seemingly obscure like "Keep On Truckin'" can have such an impact today even on teenage web cartoonists, what about the loop back? Some people (I'm not going to drag Crumb into this one) are such creative giants they are more or less able to survive as autarks, but I think a lot of that perception is nostalgia sleepwalking. Most everybody, even if they don't like to admit it, suffers little ill from mugging a bit back from the amateurs. (icanhazcheezburger.com for example - shamelessly ripping off the 'net amateurs and making top dollar while doing it)

I think the real issue for photographers is knowing when to put your foot down. I can imagine organizations that work on a charitable basis (either as their mission or as their way of stretching the budget) who won't know in twenty years who the guy or gal was who took photos for them for forty - because they just donated all the shots, not even putting down a name. I am a naturally greedy enough person that I would never allow this (I possibly have the complete reverse problem from the original writer, in that I put the planning and that contract stipulation down before I have the workflow or commitment ready...)

There's a bridge to the professional question. I've not worked as a pro in media myself (yet, possibly getting there...) but I do know that there are at least two directions to attack the problem from. One, the direction the original writer, and Ellison, and Frank Miller and countless others take, in shaming their fellow pros to take a stand for credit. An aside: A few weeks ago an academic was on "Fareed Zakaria GPS," a CNN talk show, was putting forward the theory (you can buy their book to read the full story!) that the rift between money-makers and everybody else was forced agape in the 1970s as top "talent" demanded more salaries...it's an interesting proposition; I'm not convinced that's true, but it stands to reason that if only some of the choicest figurehead staffers of a production get the biggest salaries that society, as a whole, suffers due to the inequality.

The technology doesn't seem wholly to blame for income inequality - the "Great Divergence" happened in the 1970s - but it can reinforce it when used by naive people: Starstruck, cowed, or just clueless.

That suggests the second route for attacking the problem. Instead of preaching to the choir (and a lot of us didn't swallow the argument anyway), and complaining about ballooning advertising costs, the original writer needs to scramble harder to rejustify their expertise and professionalism. Bedside manner isn't just for doctors. This is not, at this point in history, a matter of what's just or fair, but a matter of what you have to do in order to stay in business.

I've been around some academic poets who did not, on a casual look, seem to have this problem; it was just expected that if you were famous university faculty would invite you, wine and dine, and everybody in attendance would buy your books. But of course, poets suffer income crunch just as much as other artists, especially when modern poetry is regarded (rightly or wrongly - not an issue to get into in this space) as irrelevant - partly because people mistakenly thought that technology replaced poetry, which it does not. Whatever the case may be, the academic poets I've met seem able to live within their means and still wear a clean shirt.

My DSLR's video was good enough for some poetry readings, but I still haven't uploaded any - well, that's nothing to do with the quality, really. From that standpoint - asking permission before taking any video, doing it simply for the record and for posterity - it was fine as video from a fixed tripod of a speech, but nothing more. As I was putting myself through a crash course on photography at the time, I was content to ignore the questions about content versus technology, since I was working on my own technical abilities - but I'm not sure it was really a period of creative growth for me. In DSLR video, just a few experiments lead me to believe there's potential in tilt-shift style lenses for movies, but the current tools are woefully inadequate. I saw something on DPR about a standalone movie suit coming from Canon with help from Technicolor...but that won't follow focus.

sailingmunch said:
"I see allot of "self-taught" "Pro's" with 5d markII, 24-70 F2.8 and 580 Flashes shooting weeding in full auto mode whose work isn't bad in the sense that the image is blurry or under/overexposed, but the image is so god awfully bland, cliché or "cheap" that makes their work bad, though most people wouldn't notice it."

Exactly,
The people who don't understand photography say oh what a great picture! although to the seasoned photographer they can tell whats wrong with the photo right off the bat
I suppose I should be proud of myself today for throwing away a couple technically superior images for ones with better compositions. Actually, I do it naturally - as wordy as I get I don't know that I always could sell somebody on what I do that makes the extra work worthwhile.

Upvote 0
foobar said:
It's the same rant we're read from professional photographers 5 years ago when DLSRs went mainstream.
And that's the same rant we've heard from music producers 15 years ago when digital recording went mainstream.

Technology gets cheaper, that's just the way it is. Does the auther think the availability of cheap, large-sensor video cameras will solve his problem? Why should it? It's just another tool that used to cost five-digit sums and is now available for the masses. In fact, it will make his problem even worse.

The only way to differentiate from the crowd is by delivering high quality work and nothing else.

+1 amateurs are the #1 competition to Professionals all over... Professional Photographers, Videographers, etc... While I have seen awesome work done by 5d's and 7d's and such, I also admit they are done by people who really know what they are doing and come from video backgrounds. While I will admit I am a professional photographer and NOT a professional videographer, I do offer video work to my clients, however I do offer samples of my work so the clients know what they are getting talent wise. Hopefully with the next few generations of cameras we will get a better product.

Upvote 0
Also dont forget, talent will and should always win out in the professional world. Be limited and questionable in quality regarding videos, remember parts of the TV show "House" is/was shot with the 5D II's as well as avatar (i believe... correct me if i'm wrong). So they can keep up with the pro video cameras if in the right hands. I'm no video pro but I did take some video classes at BIP and have first hand experience with video equipment and editing and such... My 7D can do some good shots if on a tripod and such but panning scenes look like crap... I'm still doing what I can to get better with what I've got but thankfully in weddings and such I can set up a 7D or 5D on a tripod and let it capture the moment rather than run and guns... =)

I used to offer high end architecture and real estate photos to several architects and real estate agents... now real estate agents are buying 7d's and rebels and doing their own photography and architects are going to the lowest bidder... You have to adapt some times or you will go out of business, especially in this market and economy.

Upvote 0
S

SergeSmArt

Re: A grateful BEGINING to the DSLR video "revolution" :)

.. correct me if I'm wrong... :) .. as far as I see this should be named: "A grateful BEGINING to the DSLR video "revolution" .... Canon 5DMark II camera give us a good start... and all new camcorders, as Panasonic AF 100 and Sony F3 and FS 100 is RESULT of what Canon had start...
I don't see any problems with it...only want Canon to make the same type of camcorder with big "Cinema"sensor, as I wrote in the other thread --> http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,895.0.html .. so we will able to use the same lenses :)

I don't think anyone from the street can be as good as Mozart even if he get a Stradivari violin :)

( Don't blame me for my poor English, please.. I never had a chance to learn it in school.. )

Upvote 0
N

nex-s

Re: A grateful BEGINING to the DSLR video "revolution" :)

SergeSmArt said:
.. correct me if I'm wrong... :) .. as far as I see this should be named: "A grateful BEGINING to the DSLR video "revolution" .... Canon 5DMark II camera give us a good start... and all new camcorders, as Panasonic AF 100 and Sony F3 and FS 100 is RESULT of what Canon had start...
I don't see any problems with it...only want Canon to make the same type of camcorder with big "Cinema"sensor, as I wrote in the other thread --> http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,895.0.html .. so we will able to use the same lenses :)

I don't think anyone from the street can be as good as Mozart even if he get a Stradivari violin :)

( Don't blame me for my poor English, please.. I never had a chance to learn it in school.. )

You are right actually. If the DSLR's haven't delivered what they have, then nobody would have seen the need to improve videocameras and they would still probably have small sensors and bee inadequatly expensive.

Upvote 0
K

kkoster

I don't understand the OP's rant. It isn't the equipment, but the person operating it that matters.

It's all about marketing how good you are. If you really are any good, you will always get work.
People don't hire you because you have a machine bigger, or are better kitted out than the next person. They hire you because they've seen your portfolio and are fans of your work.

Upvote 0
K

kawasakiguy37

If you think your a professional videographer and you only own one camera....think again. A good kit CHEAP kit would be a 5D for the 'beauty' shots mixed with a real camcorder for anything with movement or not requiring super low light capabilities. Stop kidding yourself....theres no one camera that can do anything (not even those 50k Arris, theyre huge!)

Upvote 0
I just had to reply - so many good comments. Bottom line is the guy got out-sold. If he actually had a superior product to offer the customer which was worth what he was charging, then he wasn't able to get the customer to understand that and he lost the deal.

If you are in the photography/video business, you are running a business. It isn't just about how good of an artist you are, etc. Yes results matter (your product) probably the most (at least long term), but you also have to be good enough at all the other aspects of running your business - such as sales, marketing, customer service, people skills, etc.

Affordable technology has lowered the barrier to entry in the photography business. So there is a lot more competition. Some of the competition is low-skill low-price that undercut the current folks in the business. There are also a lot of talented folks getting in that couldn't afford to earlier. Regardless, affordable technology has made the Photography/Video business harder. You have to be good at your craft, and you have to run your business well to continue making a good living.

The other consideration is that certain segments of the market just go away for the prof. photographer. Those segments are happy with what the amateur/hobbyist can do with new technology and just don't need/value what a pro can do - enough to want to pay for it.

The creative/innovative guys will find ways to open up new customer segments and make money using the new technology. For example, I see a lot of pro photographers embracing the boom of affordable DSLRs by offering training courses as a part of their business. This does two things - helps them make money, and educates potential clients on the value of what a pro can offer. So they help the hobbyist along and help educate the masses on the value of a pro.

The guys that complain because their old way of doing things isn't working any longer and don't want to change, or that really weren't that good to being with and are getting pounded by new competition aren't going to survive.

Upvote 0
kawasakiguy37 said:
If you think your a professional videographer and you only own one camera....think again. A good kit CHEAP kit would be a 5D for the 'beauty' shots mixed with a real camcorder for anything with movement or not requiring super low light capabilities. Stop kidding yourself....theres no one camera that can do anything (not even those 50k Arris, theyre huge!)

I actually know several videographers and photographers who don't own any of their equipment, but rather have it issued to them, or rent it based on the job.

Upvote 0
every change brings a new set of challenges.
Previous to all this evolution, pros were the ones with the skill and money to buy the equipment.
Now there are millions of amateurs that have very good equipment. Some are awful at shooting and some are not bad and some are very talented.
Video/photo customers will and have been hiring bad amateurs; in essence gambling their once in a lifetime opportunity.
It's only a matter of time before these god awful amateurs go out of business because talented is not something you can develop. Not everyone has "the eye" to shoot.

Upvote 0
jcns,

While I have no love for video at all and will never voluntarily buy a camera with the spawn of the devil in it, I must protest about your claim that photographers/videographers cannot learn to be good at what they do.

It's true that a very lucky few do seem to be born with a gift that we mere mortals can only gasp in amazement at. However most have learnt their trade the hard way, "through perspiration not inspiration" as the saying goes.

I for one am firmly in the second category, only really grasping the knack of composition by accident and after many years of producing total rubbish. In fact I still cannot explain why I can now visualise what I could not 20 years ago.

Upvote 0
K

kawasakiguy37

Film is just the evolution of photography, I just dont get why people hate it. In with the new

motorhead said:
jcns,

While I have no love for video at all and will never voluntarily buy a camera with the spawn of the devil in it, I must protest about your claim that photographers/videographers cannot learn to be good at what they do.

It's true that a very lucky few do seem to be born with a gift that we mere mortals can only gasp in amazement at. However most have learnt their trade the hard way, "through perspiration not inspiration" as the saying goes.

I for one am firmly in the second category, only really grasping the knack of composition by accident and after many years of producing total rubbish. In fact I still cannot explain why I can now visualise what I could not 20 years ago.

Upvote 0
kawasakiguy37 said:
Film is just the evolution of photography, I just dont get why people hate it. In with the new
Only to people who don't understand those media. Once you're past the "point and shoot"-stage you realize still and moving picture have only a few technicalities in common.
Like replacing a tool belt with a mutitool. Smalller, cheaper, it even has more functions, so it has got to be better!

Upvote 0
Lawliet said:
kawasakiguy37 said:
Only to people who don't understand those media. Once you're past the "point and shoot"-stage you realize still and moving picture have only a few technicalities in common.
Like replacing a tool belt with a mutitool. Smalller, cheaper, it even has more functions, so it has got to be better!

That last is a VERY interesting comment and I wish I'd come up with it. The "modern" way seems to require tools that are jack-of-all-trades rather than be the best they can be at one thing. Me? I'm the exact opposite. I much prefer a tool to have a single purpose and be the very best tool I can find for that job. As an example, I like my image post-processing software to stick to just that and not pretend its also a digital image management tool as well. So better for me would be a socket set, not the pair of molegrips others might choose.

Upvote 0
motorhead said:
Lawliet said:
kawasakiguy37 said:

That last is a VERY interesting comment and I wish I'd come up with it. The "modern" way seems to require tools that are jack-of-all-trades rather than be the best they can be at one thing. Me? I'm the exact opposite. I much prefer a tool to have a single purpose and be the very best tool I can find for that job. As an example, I like my image post-processing software to stick to just that and not pretend its also a digital image management tool as well. So better for me would be a socket set, not the pair of molegrips others might choose.

That's a fair comment, however, lets look at it from Canon's perspective... Lets say (speaking of tools) they can build and sell a hammer for instance... It can be the king of hammers and sell it at a 500% profit margin to costs to manufacture and lead the industry in hammers. Now lets say they build a hammer thats not as good but also has ratchet attachments, bubble level, and ruler. They put that at 3/4 the price of the top of the line hammer. Which tool do you think will sell more to the general public? Yes, the better hammer may sell better to pro contractors however to everyone else, the all-in-on will sell better and yield higher profits.

Heck, even Nikon has figured this out and have geared their line up to tailor to video as well. I think everything has their own place in the industry but like everything else for professionals, might as well adapt or you may get left behind competition.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
awinphoto said:
motorhead said:
Lawliet said:
kawasakiguy37 said:

That's a fair comment, however, lets look at it from Canon's perspective... Lets say (speaking of tools) they can build and sell a hammer for instance... It can be the king of hammers and sell it at a 500% profit margin to costs to manufacture and lead the industry in hammers. Now lets say they build a hammer thats not as good but also has ratchet attachments, bubble level, and ruler. They put that at 3/4 the price of the top of the line hammer. Which tool do you think will sell more to the general public? Yes, the better hammer may sell better to pro contractors however to everyone else, the all-in-on will sell better and yield higher profits.

Generally speaking, a middle model will sell better, and often makes the most profit. Many consumers do not want to buy the lowest cost model, and the high end is too expensive to they go for the middle, which costs only a tiny amount more to make, but has a fat profit.

Upvote 0
motorhead said:
I much prefer a tool to have a single purpose and be the very best tool I can find for that job. As an example, I like my image post-processing software to stick to just that and not pretend its also a digital image management tool as well.

Sometimes the "best" tool for the job is the one you have with you right now. Think of all the Youtube videos posted during the democracy demonstrations in the Middle East: the cell-phone video and audio is crappy compared to that from DSLR's, not to mention dedicated video equipment. Do you think any protesters would be able to smuggle "real" video equipment into those events?

Yes, dedicated equipment is a invaluable for those who have the time, money and opportunity to buy, transport and use it under controlled (or somewhat controlled) conditions. For the rest of us, DSLR video is a wonderful bonus, and we're happy for the opportunity to create videos well-above the level of cell-phones, even if it doesn't match the quality of dedicated equipment.

Upvote 0
motorhead said:
The "modern" way seems to require tools that are jack-of-all-trades rather than be the best they can be at one thing.

But this isn't the philosophy behind a video capable DSLR. The philosophy is "Since we have liveview for our DSLR still shot cameras, we can add value to our products by simply capturing that liveview output and allow users to video thru their current investment in glass." The whole thing is a byproduct of liveview for stills, which was designed in an effort to improve stills. It just so happens that the byproduct turned out to be very good.

As for me (enthusiast, not pro), I'll be buying both videocams and still cams for the forseeable future because they are still way too different. I'm not giving up the anti-shake of the CX550 nor the stills IQ of a 50d and will only want to improve on both. But I'm very pleased with the idea of being able to do both functions with either device (well at least when I get a 5d3 :) ) so I can choose which function is "primary" for the day without giving up the other entirely or resorting to toting both devices. Bottom line is I'm all for improving the stills on a videocam and the video on a still cam and this doesn't mean I want a "jack of all trades". It only means I find value in the secondary function when it is good quality.

Upvote 0
skitron said:
The philosophy is "Since we have liveview for our DSLR still shot cameras, we can add value to our products by simply capturing that liveview output and allow users to video thru their current investment in glass." The whole thing is a byproduct of liveview for stills, which was designed in an effort to improve stills. It just so happens that the byproduct turned out to be very good.

The problem is that there are quite a few decision makers that see "use current investment" & cheap bodies&lenses, or "its 35mm, so it has to be great" - but don't realize that getting the material up to established quality standards is expensive. Up to redoing the whole shoot with a proper camera, with a six figure price tag for talent and location.
At least the increased rates compensate for the PITA-factor... :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.